Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

We want Instant Video on Android too. Come on Amazon!!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 406 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 26, 2012 10:41:24 PM PDT
Buster B. says:
Is there a way to side load the kindle fire instant video app? I already invested about $1,000 on amazon instant videos and I don't feel like restarting a new collection with another store just to watch movies on my Nexus 7.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 11:40:12 PM PDT
Jo MW says:
Nope. The Instant Video app is iOS, not Android. So it won't work on the N7.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 12:48:54 AM PDT
Pushka says:
Simply download Firefox beta version and the Flash apk (Flashify) and your nexus 7 will stream prime. Mine's all set up.

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 7:18:23 PM PDT
J. Jorgensen says:
Yeah. This is BS. I want to watch the content I have purchased locally on my phone. I dropped Apple over this crap, and now I'm dropping Amazon. Getting rid of Kindle Fire. Going to try Nexus + Google Play and see if that works better.

Bye Amazon.

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 8:09:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 29, 2012 8:11:11 AM PDT
Yogi Bear says:
Got Nexus 7, installed Firefox and Flash (side loaded). Able to watch Amazon Prime videos.
But the quality seems much worse than Netflix (native app). No comparison to Netflix.
So I agree with most here that Amazon needs to come out with Android app.

I was thinking of dropping Netflix after getting Amazon Prime. But now will continue with Netflix. Amazon video on Android is unacceptable quality. Yes, I don't want to buy a closed walled garden variety tablet either just to use content from Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2012 8:21:13 AM PDT
I also noticed that the web quality was severely lacking -but haven't mentioned so far (runs on thrive). I have on Roku boxes, and can download videos now in fire, just as I had to find a way to buy new iPad to watch other streaming services not provided on android.

Some things work better on different ecosystems. You must weigh the pros and cons + plus your wallet. I held out for android versions which never came (and xfinity still lies about it):-) Unfortunately, there is a finite market they are trying to reach, and more closed ecosystems may be in the future. Remember when PC's first came out? Evolution took over ten years. We ae still in infancy here, or something star trek was promising 30 or more years ago :-)

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 7:56:52 PM PDT
Yasue says:
I just sent an email asking when/if we'd see an app for non-Kindle Android devices. I have some hope now that iPad has a specific app. Really, not having one is a huge oversight from a customer standpoint. I'd buy content from Amazon, but as it stands, I am getting impatient. I've already rented from Google and haven't rented anything from Amazon yet, because I really only want to rent things on my tablet, when I am laying in bed. Closed systems are bad for consumers. If you can only buy from one place, you loose your power to expect good customer service. Let me decide where I want to buy and a company earns my respect and loyalty. Wall me in and I question your ethics. If McDonald's made a deal with my mayor and I we only had their restaurants in town, I'd never eat out. Why should mobile be any different?

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 8:07:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2012 8:11:25 PM PDT
YepIt'sBecky says:
I honestly believe they are working on it. Under Buy Once, Enjoy Everywhere section of the product page for the Fire HD it says [QUOTE] No Other Company Offers This Kind of Flexibility

At Amazon, we make it easy for you to access your content on other devices. The books, videos, apps, audiobooks, games, and music that you buy for your Kindle Fire HD can also be enjoyed on Amazon apps for Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, game consoles, TVs and more.[/QUOTE]

Even B&N is advertising coming soon a Nook video app for the same purpose.

[QUOTE]]Coming Soon: Watch Whereever You Go

Our new NOOK Video App™ lets you sync your shows across all your devices, so whether you're watching on a smartphone, computer, tablet, or TV, you can pick up wherever you left off.[/QUOTE]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 8:15:59 PM PDT
The Engineer says:
The reason for why there is no generic Android app is because of DRM. On the iPad and Kindle, DRM is possible. On generic Android, it becomes problematical. Amazon is contractually obligated to ensure that content it provides is protected.

Nobody is limiting your choices, and forcing you to buy a Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 7:22:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 1, 2012 7:25:11 AM PDT
Buster B. says:
Then that means MP3s are not DRM but videos are?

And how does Google play get around the need for DRM videos when it is offered through android and the Google play store just like Amazon's Instant Video and the Kindle Fire?

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 8:01:21 AM PDT
The Engineer says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 8:18:44 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I think it is funny how much money companies spend on implementing DRM and how fast any new DRM is cracked. Usually within 24 hours of release. These companies will never learn. Of course Amazon has no choice in the matter. They have to use the DRM.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 8:55:41 AM PDT
The Engineer says:
And that's the point; Amazon has no choice. All the energy in this thread is being sent in the wrong direction.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 9:33:27 AM PDT
Brian Hurt says:
Ummm...there is an app for the iPad.

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 10:14:20 AM PDT
Erik Alfkin says:
If there is an app on the Kindle Fire, then the technical challenges of DRM have already been met on Android.

I don't know the reasons for a native app being unavailable to non-Kindle devices. They may be technical, they may be legal, they may be about pure business. When it comes right down to it, I don't care about the reason. I subscribed to this thread so that I can add my voice to the mix, and let Amazon know that I would like to have this available on any Android device. Now that that's done I will refrain from purchasing any video content as long as I am limited in what I can do with it. I refuse to waste time speculating on this.

Back to my normal life...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 10:37:17 AM PDT
LynnL says:
And yet Netflix and HBO Go have both managed it, so it's certainly possible.

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 12:34:18 PM PDT
Yasue says:
Give me a link that says it's a DRM issue Amazon is having and I'll buy that line. There are guides to setting up DRM for app developers. If DRM were the reason, how do so many other content providers get by? Netflix and Hulu plus are just a two of the most popular for streaming, but there are plenty of others. I can buy movies from Best Buy's Cinema Now, Mspot movies, etc. I'd prefer to keep all of my content and streaming with one service to spare me from having multiple apps. If DRM is the real issue here, why haven't I heard that from Amazon? Also, it's not like I am using an el cheapo knock-off tablet. It's a Samsung.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 12:48:27 PM PDT
CLS10 says:
Your analogy about closed systems doesn't work in this instance, though. It's not a matter of amazon having a closed system. Before android stopped supporting flash natively, people could watch AIV via their browsers. Plus, if this were an example of a closed system, amazon wouldn't have made an iPad app.

I'm almost positive an android app is coming. People just need to wait.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 1:23:05 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
True they have finally managed it but it did take several months for all Android devices to be supported. I had to keep checking back on my tablet for it to be supported. You figure with the iPad there is only one company involved. With Android there are many companies and different implementations of Android.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 1:24:14 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
It also took Hulu several months to support all Android devices as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 2:56:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 1, 2012 2:57:04 PM PDT
The Engineer says:
There are no technical reasons to explain the absence of a generic Android app; other than the generic Android platforms not supporting some aspect of Amazon's contractual obligations to content providers (i.e. DRM).

Apart from that, there is no reason for Amazon to hold back the release of such an app. Amazon would probably LOVE the opportunity to sell more stuff to you; but it can't, due to the limitations of its contractual obligations.

Therefore, the current lack of a generic Android app is simply a business decision. Live with it, or get an iDevice or Kindle.

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 4:43:10 PM PDT
Yasue says:
Engineer, you're not really contributing anything at this point by saying live with it, aside from coming off as petty. We ARE living with it. Those of us who are asking when/if it will come to Android as an app are NOT buying an iThing or a Kindle--or we wouldn't be asking about the Android version of the app. If you don't care and/or already have the devices you think we should run to buy, why are you here? At least come up with something more plausible as an excuse than contractual obligations and DRM when the app is already out for iPad and tons of other content providers have dealt with contracts and DRM to make their own apps. Having to alpha/beta test it on numerous versions of the Android OS with manufacturer UIs is the most plausible delay, but we haven't heard a peep about that being the case either. Another logical conclusion is that Amazon sees Android devices as direct competition to the Kindle Fire. Whatever the case may be, they are clearly loosing money from customers who would buy their content.

If we want the app for Android it is probably best to fire off an email directly to Amazon. The answer I got was vague--it neither denied or confirmed it was going to happen. Hopefully the thread answers a few questions about work-arounds until we get an app for people who didn't know about them.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 5:02:04 PM PDT
Moondoggie82 says:
The best part though is that the kindle IS an android device so to not have apps for it across other android devices is pathetic.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2012 5:02:24 PM PDT
Moondoggie82 says:
The best part though is that the kindle IS an android device so to not have apps for it across other android devices is pathetic.

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 5:03:37 PM PDT
Not serving every possible market doesn't necessarily mean a company like Amazon is "losing" potential revenue.

Keep in mind that Google is five times larger than Amazon and doesn't invest its revenue back into building and maintaining a huge distribution network like Amazon does.

I'm not trying to be an Amazon apologist, but every company operates under constraints and can't do everything its customers would like.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  192
Total posts:  406
Initial post:  Aug 1, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 17, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 51 customers

Search Customer Discussions