Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire WiFi signal with an x. Connected to my network but not the internet

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 182 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 7, 2011 4:26:58 PM PST
Just got off the phone with Amazon Tech Support. The official statement for those trying to connect to a mobile hotspot is that the Kindle Fire will not support that type of wifi connection. The rep could give me no explaination as to why Amazon would make this kind of call. (Anyone have any ideas as to why this would be so?) Totally frustrated. They either need to allow for mobile hotspot connection or make a version with 3/4g connectivity.

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 5:03:50 PM PST
DMJ says:
Hmmm that seems odd..seeing as where I brought my kindle fire at best buy and got $100 off because I got an AT&T hotspot with it. That would be ridiculous actually.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2011 6:17:53 AM PST
My Kindle Fire works just fine with my mobile hotspot.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 11:02:41 AM PST
startrek says:
I am also very frustrated. I bought the fire to use with the mobile hotspot from my phone. Other tablets work fine but not the fire. I'm hoping enough users will call tech support so their team of engineers will find out how to get it to work so I don't have to take it back to the store. Like it very much. Since it works everytime I connect but then disconnects shortly thereafter they should be able to get it to work continuously.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 11:10:39 AM PST
Ongoing frustation with my Kindle Fire. I can't get it to register nor connected to ANYTHING. What a lemon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2011 11:19:11 AM PST
startrek says:
Tracy if you hear that the fire has been fixed regarding using a mobile hotspot please let me know. Hopefully enough people will call the tech line that they will start to work on fixing this problem. Using a mobile hotspot is far superior to only being able to use it when you are at a wifi location. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 11, 2011 11:06:57 PM PST
Brian Wigley says:
My kindle fire will not connect to wifi but my iPod will it keeps telling me to check the the password but I never had a password... Plz help

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 8:59:31 AM PST
C. Torok says:
I have an all wireless system, no modem, no ISP. I use both an outside wi fi antennae and usb connected wireless antennae. I have 2 desktops and a laptop and have internet on all. The kindle fire doesn't have a big enough wi fi range, all of the places I connect to using my wireless system are out of range. I tried hooking one of my inside wireless antennaes to the kindle but it doesn't recognize it. I was hoping that it would. Does any one have any suggestions of how I can extend my kindle fire range?

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 9:00:59 AM PST
C. Torok says:
I have an all wireless system, no modem, no ISP. I use both an outside wi fi antennae and usb connected wireless antennae. I have 2 desktops and a laptop and have internet on all. The kindle fire doesn't have a big enough wi fi range, all of the places I connect to using my wireless system are out of range. I tried hooking one of my inside wireless antennaes to the kindle but it doesn't recognize it. I was hoping that it would. Does any one have any suggestions of how I can extend my kindle fire range?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2011 9:29:34 AM PST
Tongue in cheek, not really. I sent my Fire back to Amazon yesterday. Now looking at the Sony Reader.

Posted on Dec 14, 2011 8:26:56 PM PST
R. Hawley says:
I recently was at a public place (restaurant), where the wifi connected fine, but with an X under the wifi - just trying to figure out why this happens....there was no 'garden wall' redirect needed (tried with another device and connected fine).

just wondering....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2011 8:31:28 PM PST
Les Bell says:
Are you sure that outside antenna isn't WiMax rather than wi-fi? Different things.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2011 10:34:09 PM PST
C. Torok says:
I'm sure that it's a wi-fi. I couldn't afford to keep paying for an ISP so I started out with an indoor wi-fi that connects via usb. There were times that none of the places that I used to connect weren't available. I kept searching for ways to strengthen my wi-fi and decided on a directonal wi-fi antennae. I pick up the library which is 1/2 mile away. I am very pleased with it even though there are times that there isn't anywhere that I can connect. So many things can interfere with wi-fi. Ususlly I can always connect sometime during the day.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2011 10:48:22 PM PST
Les Bell says:
Ah - the old Pringle can antenna trick, huh?

If you know what you're doing with networking, it would be really easy to either

a) configure a single wi-fi access point as a repeater, or

b) set up one access point for point-to-point bridging with a second access point at a more convenient location in your home.

I know that access points like the Netgear WG602 can do that kind of thing, but that particular model is getting a bit old - I'm assuming that more modern ones have similar features. Given the key phrases I've given you above, you can probably google up some tutorials on how to do it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2011 2:47:08 AM PST
C. Torok says:
Thanks. I've read about doing that but wasn't quite sure about it. I'll try it and get back to you. Thanks. Have a gret holiday season.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2011 12:56:22 PM PST
The Fire can see and appears to connect to most Wifi signals but it will not allow actual internet activity unless the signal is WPA2 or better. Most public wifi is adhoc, which it will not allow browsing on. Found out that was why my MiFi wasn't connecting - I accidentally had it on WPA not WPA2.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2011 1:07:32 PM PST
Les Bell says:
"Most public wifi is adhoc"

No - public wi-fi hotspots are infrastucture mode, same as domestic access points and routers. As to whether the Fire *requires* WPA2, I can't comment, other than to say that both WEP and WPA are easily crackable, making WPA2 A Good Idea anyway.

Posted on Dec 21, 2011 2:42:56 PM PST
E. Simmons says:
To David Miller, this totally worked for me!! Thank you so much!!!

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 11:30:55 AM PST
cherimeo says:
I got a Kindle Fire last night for Christmas. I am not a techy. I know nothing about WAP or WEP and I don't have a wireless router. We have a Nook that has worked just fine from day one and has had no problems connecting to the internet. But I can't connect my Kindle Fire. It says it's connected to Wi-Fi, but there is no internet access, so the thing is basically a big paperweight right now. Does anybody know how to fix it? In layman's terms? this is so frustrating.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 11:40:14 AM PST
We just had a similar problem where we could not get Kindle to recognize our password to the router. I called At&T and discovered that the modem "key" is the password the Kindle Fire needed. I kept trying to input the password we created for our network...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 11:50:20 AM PST
I could never get my Kindle Fire to register or connect to my wirless bridge. Easy solution was to send it back to Amazon. I then got a Sony eReader and it is working just fine. Send yours back, send it back, send it back.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 12:00:33 PM PST
Jeffrey Ash says:
Not fair. Mine works perfect.
You probably need to update your router or get a new one.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2011 5:01:54 AM PST
My Kindle fire wouldn't connect to WI-FI at all until
I went to Advanced settings under WI-FI
tab and chose static ip settings
I looked on my iphone for IP address and put that in
then put in Router info #. The rest filled itself down
To DNS2 which I just left empty. Then I arrowed back and my
Belkin router (which would show up before but not connect)
connected readily. Is there a problem leaving it like this as long as
I continue to use it like this with same router and internet box?
Also it seem like when I am too far away from the router or someone
turns on the large microwave between me and router I pick up the little x
When I go inside or no one is using micro
X goes away and I'm watching netflix on the darn thing.

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 5:36:46 AM PST
"Is there a problem leaving it like this as long as I continue to use it like this with same router and internet box?"

There is nothing wrong with a static address, so long as:

1. It's not being used by any other device. Do NOT use the same address as your iPhone. Add a safe value -- say 100 -- to the LAST number in the dotted series. Example: 192.168.0.3 becomes 192.168.0.103. (You can also "protect" that number in your router's configuration.)

2. You don't go anywhere. This is the real problem. The great thing about the Kindle Fire is that you can slip it in a pocket and take it to Panera's. You'll have to reconfigure the networking when you do.

The right way to fix the problem is to fix your router. Upgrade the router's software (see the manual) or replace the router with a new one and your problem will go away.

There are many bad wifi implementations on old routers. This is a huge problem with pre-N routers (the Kindle Fire may cause the entire network to slow down) but also a problem with G routers that have sloppy encryption or address-allocation routines.

This is not unique to the Kindle. Mac and iPad users often run into wifi hubs that won't work. A lot of router makers rush into production after testing only with Microsoft Windows and not worrying about testing to make sure they match the published standards. Microsoft is notorious about not following standards (ask any Web developer what they think of Internet Explorer). The result is a mess that is slowly cleaned up with upgrades that most people never know about.

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 5:39:01 AM PST
Irena Heath says:
I got Kindle Fire for Christmas. It was working fine all day Saturady, all day Sunday, all the way up to Monday about 4PM EST. Now when i connect to my internet is say's connected but i get a X next to the wifi icon. My WiFi is showing up and sasy connected.

I have a all wireless internet modem/router in my house so nothing gets connected to the actual modem. Im not sure why all of a sudden i cant get on the internet. Anyone else have the these issues. I threw the box away since i had no issues with the kindle.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  93
Total posts:  182
Initial post:  Nov 19, 2011
Latest post:  Jul 24, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions