Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

free ebooks on ghosts, horror, occult, terror,

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1026-1050 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 5, 2012 5:28:03 PM PST
Kellie says:
Thanks Barbarian! Just a quick update: still no power.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 5:34:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 5:39:24 PM PST
Barbarian says:
Kellie: Can you move to another family member's house until power is restored? Or to a Red Cross shelter.

I Survived Hurricane Katrina, 2005

The horror of Hurricane Katrina is brought vividly to life in this fictional account of a boy, a dog, and the storm of the century.Barry's family tries to evacuate before Hurricane Katrina hits their home in New Orleans. But when Barry's little sister gets terribly sick, they're forced to stay home and wait out the storm.At first, Katrina doesn't seem to be as bad as predicted. But overnight the levees break, and Barry's world is literally torn apart. He's swept away by the floodwaters, away from his family. Can he survive the storm of the century -- alone?

If you have a Kindle Fire....Hurricane Katrina Five Years Later Instant video $2.99

Filled with pictures and rare video footage showing the destruction witnessed by the Mississippi gulf coast and the greater New Orleans area.You won't believe the horror that awaits you.An impressive soundtrack accompanies this striking presentation.Produced in time,to observe the fifth anniversary of Hurricane katrina,witness the horror thousands of victims suffered ... that fateful day.
Starring: Jr Alfonzo walker, LaKenya Pack
Directed by: Jr Alfonzo walker
Runtime: 1 hour 39 minutes
Release year: 2010

Blessings

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 5:42:27 PM PST
Barbarian says:
Freebie 11/5/2012

The Azure Crypt

Jill expected paradise when she visited the island of San Bernard. Instead it was disaster she found when an earthquake strikes the resort and disrupts the ancient ruins nearby. With no way off the island and a mysterious parasite turning everyone into dangerous maniacs, the only way Jill can escape is to face the ancient horror locked within the Azure Crypt.

Enjoy!

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 5:20:38 AM PST
Thank you, sir!

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 3:07:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 3:13:57 PM PST
Barbarian says:
Freebies 11/6/2012 Check out the Catt - Meow!

Alice and Friends

Publication Date:October 30, 2012
At a carnival spook ride, young women vanish, never to be seen again. On a dark Texas road, women disappear after being stranded and then saved by friendly Texans. Alice is one of the women who have been shackled and hand cuffed in a basement where she and her new friends are tortured physically and emotionally to force them into compliance with their new family. Deciding to fight the brainwashing and misery, Alice uses her own smarts to hold on to her sanity, but as her friends go upstairs with the men and never return, she is forced to concede that she might not make it out alive. As a tribute to the writing of Richard Laymon, Alice and Friends is the story of human survival, the depth of insanity, and festering secrets. If you think you know what's going on with Alice, you had better guess again because even Alice is finding out secrets about herself...ones that mean the difference between saving herself and vanishing into nothingness.

(note from author)
Alice is a highly unusual novel. I somehow touched a few genres. There is a mystery here for sure, a psychological aspect (okay, it's chilling, who are we kidding), blatant horror, a cannibal or two, family ties, a nod to horror master Richard Laymon, a snicker and hint about the Z is for Zombie series (but is not part of the series at all but fans of the series will find a HUGE clue to the series mysteries embedded in this book) and it's a thriller. I feel this is a book that once you read, you'll want to go back and read again just to see all the clues given all along as to where this was headed. It's a rollercoaster and I never, ever lie, but ummm...well, I may not tell the reader everything up front...hee hee. What is more fun than those first sharp turns and spins on a coaster? It's having them at the end...one after another...wham, wham, wham....blinding speed and plunging falls...and what's at at the end? A slam into an ice cold pool...that's what's fun!

I think you'll enjoy this one. What I wrote is terrifying, but what you will think about after you've read it? Much worse. I think you'll be haunted and have chills every time you see a dark road, a smoke house, family photos, a basement. a fair,.....(you get the idea).

I wasn't sure because of the violence. Let me know. Thanks.

Bleeding Water Who wants to go swimming?

Sunny Valley is a happy city. It has a low crime rate and a small country town feeling, despite its large city size. People move here for the tranquility and brotherhood that the city offers. For the most part, people live here happily and in prosperity. It couldn't be a nicer place.

But Sunny Valley has a dark side. It has a long history of oddities and mysteries that cannot be explained rationally. Except for now, that is.
The hot weather has brought people out of their air conditioned homes for fun in the sun. Picnics, fishing, swimming in the lake... it's all part of human nature to play in the water when the weather is warm. Children run through the sprinklers. Sweaty people take showers. A lot of water is consumed over ice, or in iced tea.

It's a beautiful day in Sunny Valley. But there's a problem.
Something is wrong with the water.

Enjoy!

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 9:05:51 PM PST
Kellie says:
Thanks Barbarian! My husband bought a generator. We still have no power. They are telling us now not until at least the 12th, but it could be longer.

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 5:05:06 AM PST
Thanks!
Kellie, wow-really? That SUCKS! Things will be better with the generator-I hope.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 6:16:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 6:18:02 AM PST
Alina says:
The generator will make a world of difference.

After the devastating bushfires in 2009 in Australia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Saturday_bushfires) I bought a whole bunch of stuff to survive a lack of electricity including a wind-up torch/radio and a powerpot: https://www.thepowerpot.com/ that you can use to recharge your mobile devices (I contributed money to develop this on kickstarter, I don't make any money off it, I just donated money because it's such a great idea and I knew people whom this would have really helped during the bushfires).

The best thing that can be said about these events is that they remind you of what's most important in life. Good luck with your recovery Kellie.

ETA: Also make sure you have good ventilation around the generator (I understand it's cold where you are). There have been cases of people dying of fumes from using generators in an enclosed space.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:19:58 AM PST
Kellie says:
I hope so too Charlene!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 8:23:52 AM PST
Kellie says:
Thanks Alina! It's hard because my stepdad needs oxygen 24/7 and he doesn't have a lot of portables left and they need some time to get some to him. He has a big machine that runs off of electric but it uses a lot so it would overload the generator. I am very grateful for what I do have but it's hard. Especially when a nor'easter is coming with rain and snow.

That is very great of you to posts those links and help come up with that stuff to help recharge and stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:24:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 10:25:42 AM PST
I know I'm late but having just read your reply I know it's hard to manage the weather but it sounds like you are being strong for your family. I hope they appreciate the amount of time and worry it takes to cope with these emergencies. We also have a generator but we can only run 2 things at a time. So last year I think I chose heat and fridge. You have to be warm to eat ice cream. My prayers are with you all and I'll make sure to get here earlier tomorrow so I can find out your progress. P.S. Barbarian told me about a ghostly book last week and it was " right on the money." He is my go to spooky person. Money is not wasted on his picks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:44:27 PM PST
Kellie says:
Dusty,

Thank you! Everyone here has been great. It's been hard. I can deal for myself but it's my parents that worry me. And now it is snowing. Ugh! It never seems like we can catch a break.

What book was it that Barbarian was right on with?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 3:15:15 PM PST
My thoughts are with you and your family, Kellie. *HUGS*

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 3:54:51 PM PST
Kellie says:
Thanks Charlene!

Hugs right back

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 4:15:19 PM PST
Barbarian says:
Freebie 11/7/2012 297 pages & 29 customer reviews total 4 stars

Nine Steps to Sara

In this eerie ghost tale, we're whisked away to an England that isn't quite so jolly as Sara's been lead to believe. Newly minted Lady Sara Darling has just gotten the news of a lifetime; she's inherited a lavish country estate in the south of England. It's no surprise when things aren't all as they seem, and soon they've got all the earmarks of a genuine haunted mansion. Instead of heading for the hills, plucky Sara decides to find out more about the ghostly relative who haunts the halls of Darling Park, invisible to all but her young son Jack. While Jack isn't afraid of the mysterious Lady, Sara is troubled by the tragedy she uncovers in her family's past. With the help of her hilariously self-absorbed friend Joanie, and the charismatic local handyman Will, Sara must hurry to learn the secrets of Darling Park before it's too late.

Author Lisa Olsen does what she does best in Nine Steps to Sara; offering quick, witty dialogue and memorable characters that breathe life into the reality she's spun, weaving the present and the past into a seamless tapestry of fiction. Equal parts romance and spine-chilling ghost story, I found myself shouting at the book, the way I do at the best horror movies, scared to death for Sara and her son.

When single mom Sara Darling inherits an estate in the remote English countryside, she jumps at the chance to become Lady of the Manor. With 8 year old son Jack and best friend Joanie in tow, they explore the nearly deserted mansion, isolated from the rest of the world except for the nearby village where everybody seems to know her business. Distracted by the charming chauffeur, Will, soon Sara never wants to leave her newfound home.

But the eerie manor house is hiding more than a ruined garden and plumbing issues, and it's up to Sara to find out what the loyal staff isn't telling. When Sara finds Jack talking to an empty room, she begins to wonder if she made the right decision uprooting her tiny family as the spooky surroundings fuel her imagination.

Especially when she starts to hear the voice talk back.

Is her ancestor's unnatural attachment to Jack borne of concern or something more sinister? When she discovers the truth, will Sara accept the legacy she's inherited, or run for her life?

Be safe and Enjoy!

Posted on Nov 7, 2012 7:13:46 PM PST
Kellie says:
Thanks Barbarian!

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 5:01:06 AM PST
well, this is the third time I have posted. I get all my words ready and hit post and it's "unknown failure." Cripes!
Kellie that book is " True Haunting." Barbarian seems to know what everyone likes so I wasn't afraid to spend $2.51. I'll check in with everybody after I get some work done; I know my boss would like also. Take baby steps and take one day at a time. Better times ahead right?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 10:17:27 AM PST
Kellie says:
Dusty,

Yes Barbarian does seem to know what everyone likes. Definitely put True Haunting on my list. Yes I hope better days are ahead.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 1:37:09 PM PST
I downloaded 'Nine Steps To Sara' for FREE yesterday and so far so good! I'm really enjoying the book, its a light read which is just what I was looking for. I have read a lot of horror books lately, so its nice to read something that isn't so intense. Nine Steps to Sara is a ghost story, but its a nice relaxing read. :)

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 2:56:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 2:57:53 PM PST
Barbarian says:
Freebie 11/8/2012

Yes - Let me know what you're looking for and I'll try my best to find these for you.

I liked what I read Look Inside.

The Seven Deadlies (A Guardian's Life)

Publication Date:November 4, 2012
For The Guardians Of Earth...
Time Shall Stand Still...

Kari, Catherine Von Kampen, was born October 31st, 1472. Her life revolved around her younger brothers. Her life was destroyed by a demon on May 1st, 1490. She picked herself off the ground and became a Hunter. She was killed during her mission to seek revenge on November 16th 1492. The Death Fairy gave her the choice to become a Guardian. Forever shall time stand still, while she hunts down the being that destroyed her reason for living. She took the opportunity presented to continue on her path for revenge. She came back from hell on November 16th, 1493, and has continued to hunt the beings of hell ever since.

Flash forward to the year 2012. Kari was happy with status quo; she had her soul mate, James Colt, and his two sons at her side. However now she has opened a door to hell releasing The Seven Deadly Sins from their cages in hell. Now she must not only battle the deadlies to send them back to their place in hell; she must fight a growing attraction to The Morning Star... Lucifer himself... Will the hunt for The Seven Deadlies destroy her chance at redeeming her soul? Or is Lucifer right... That she is destined to become the Mistress of Hell?

Like the mythical Phoenix, she rose from the ashes of death to defend mankind from the demons of hell. Kari gave her life to fight the beings of hell, and now she will risk her soul to continue the battle... Join her on her journey to Hell and back...

The Other Room by James Everington is one of my all time favorites - It is $2.99 and worth every penny! 144 pages James is one of my favorite newly discovered authors. I like all of his writings a lot!! The Other Room is my favorite of his. The word Other refers to another dimension and very creepy! I'm looking foward to reading more of James Everington.

The Other Room

Publication Date:May 2, 2011
The Other Room is a collection of weird horror fiction, containing twelve stories of the uncanny and the surreal.

A naive student finds that his crumbling bedsit can be as haunted as any Gothic mansion.

A man stumbles across another world which is the mirror image of his own.

A young woman who everyone thinks is beautiful wonders why, given what she sees in the mirror each morning.

Influenced by writers such as Ramsey Campbell, Shirley Jackson, and Robert Aickman these tales, like all good horror stories, are as much about the psychology of the protagonist as the fate that awaits them.

The Other Room contains both new and previously published stories that will challenge your conceptions of horror and literary fiction.

I hope you like these!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 2:58:15 PM PST
I second the recommendation for The Other Room. Definitely an above average collection.

Thank you, Barbarian!

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 8:00:22 PM PST
Kellie says:
Thanks Barbarian!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 9:03:23 AM PST
Hi Longwait,
What are some of the horror books you have read? I like heavy ones too with zombies.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 9:06:57 AM PST
Hi Charlene,
Since reading "The Other Room" would you buy this book?

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 9:37:56 AM PST
Hi Dusty, recently I've read Penpal by Dathan Auerback, Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill, The Glimpsing by James L Black and Wishbone by Brooklyn Hudson. They are all great books and I enjoyed every one of them! But the other night I downloaded 'The Girl Next Door' by Jack Ketchum and that left me with seriously bad nightmares! I only read the first quarter of the book, I couldn't stomach any more. Its a well written book, but the story is devastating, it is based on a true story which makes it even more devastating. :(

I have always loved horror (The Girl Next Door is not really horror) when I was younger I used to love horror films but sometimes I'd be really scared after watching them, then my Mother used to say "you shouldn't fear the dead, its the living that will hurt you.' After reading the first quarter of TGND I couldn't agree with her more!

So I was happy when I can across 'Nine Steps to Sara' because it is a light read and it will help me forget the horrors of The Girl Next Door.....
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Now Live - Join the Kindle Discussion Session
1335 4 hours ago
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 9321 11 minutes ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 2055 17 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 3791 17 minutes ago
Kindle "Special Editions"? 8 26 minutes ago
virus on kindle? 7 27 minutes ago
Suggestion for Kindle store- a horror category 9 30 minutes ago
5th generation Amazon fire Flash player? 48 46 minutes ago
FREE Books and Chat - July 2016 547 49 minutes ago
Active Content for Kindle 7th Gen 9 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  100
Total posts:  3029
Initial post:  Feb 14, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 27, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 51 customers

Search Customer Discussions