Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

How do i get rid of the ads as a screensaver?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 135 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011 4:44:13 PM PDT
Lectrice says:
@R. Worthem

The precursor of the spork, which can be found in older silver services, was called an "ice cream fork."

Posted on May 28, 2011 4:48:21 PM PDT
Lectrice says:
And back to the original topic: as I have posted elsewhere, we all ignore ads in magazines and newspapers, on television, on smartphone apps, and on the internet, so why would we not also very quickly come to ignore the ads on our Kindles? Most people shut out pretty much everything else when they are reading, anyway.

Posted on May 28, 2011 4:52:52 PM PDT
C. S. Jones says:
And when the book is open the ads are nowhere in sight.

Posted on May 28, 2011 4:57:04 PM PDT
"S. Cutcliffe says:
I took issue with the poor consumer remark back a ways from here. That person said that purchasing the cheaper model made the person who was complaining a poor consumer. Did you read what I said?"

I did read what you said. I also read the post you're talking about, although clearly you didn't. The poster said "Amazon did not try to hide this from you, you chose not to be a good consumer." As in: "Amazon did not try to hide from you the fact that you would get ads; rather, you chose not to be a good consumer by not bothering to read the product description, and now you act surprised that there are ads." You replied, in essence: "OMG YOU CALLED ME A CHEAPSKATE."

It's a bad idea to attack somebody's reading comprehension skills without being perfectly sure yours are up to par.

Posted on May 28, 2011 5:00:00 PM PDT
Artist says:
I got my KSO today and much preferred the screensaver of the Buick than the ones of the dead authors -- especially Emily Skeletor -- on my K2.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2011 8:21:40 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 15, 2011 8:25:14 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 15, 2011 8:22:59 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 15, 2011 8:25:03 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 15, 2011 8:37:43 AM PDT
our household has 2 kindles without ads and 1 with. (my teenagers got them for Christmas and I ended up having to buy my own after). The ads are not bothersome, the screensaver on the non ad kindle is a picture of an author or such, and on the adkindle it is one for a product you can find on amazon. The screen saver is not like a computer screen saver that changes every few seconds, it is the same screen until you wake it, and then it will change the next time. on the home page it takes up the space of one book discription or so, but your most recent read are at the top anyway and so it again does not get in the way. there is also a section in the menu for the special offers, so you are able to get the discounted item being offered. I haven't found that it reduces my enjoyment of the kindle in anyway having used with and without the ads.

Posted on Jul 15, 2011 9:09:23 AM PDT
maozamom says:
There's no stupid questions. Just stupid answers.

Posted on Jul 25, 2011 5:29:33 PM PDT
It says on the add you can get ads that more suit your interests I want to know how?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2011 5:34:03 PM PDT
R. Worthem says:
ok thank you Lecrice. Sorry I just seen this message.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 29, 2011 1:39:56 PM PDT
Hi Linda,
I've had my Ad Kindle for a couple of months now and I don't really even notice the ads any more. No problems at all. Once I got a case for my Kindle to protect it, it just covered them up anyway!

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 8:54:37 PM PDT
... says:
You can unsubscribe to special offers on some kindles and be charged the difference in price without needing to return your kindle and buy a new one. This does NOT include the Kindle Keyboard currently.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200671290

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2011 5:56:19 AM PDT
Honestly, I have found I don't notice them because I let my kindle read to me as long as it's active you don't get the ads and honestly it saves your screen if you are getting them it means you aren't actively using your kindle anyway so what is the big deal? I bought the wrong one and by the time I realized it I also realized if it went to commercial I wasn't actively using it
Just a thought.

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 1:44:15 PM PDT
AC Sue says:
In this case, I think all of the complaints (not just in the forums, but directly to Amazon) might have helped convince Amazon to change the policy for the new models; whatever the reason, I like the new policy.

I've ordered the new Touch with SO, and I think it's great that I can change my mind later and just pay the price difference between the SO and non-SO models to have the ads removed.

Posted on Oct 15, 2011 9:18:14 PM PDT
MamaSylvia says:
I agree, I think Amazon was smart to add it as an option. I'm very happy with my K3SO and don't want to change back to the dead authors, but options are always wonderful!

Posted on Oct 16, 2011 6:03:24 AM PDT
M Lewis says:
I think it will end up causing them even more grief. I'll bet they have quite a substantial number of people that buy the cheap one, pay to get rid of the ads then whine that they can't go back once an ad rolls around that they now want.

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 8:43:31 AM PDT
A. Burke says:
Wow. Some commenters can be real jerks. I had the same question about my new Kindle WHICH I RECEIVED AS A GIFT. So it wasn't really my decision at the outset. I really appreciate that this question was asked and the thoughtful people who provided constructive answers. Thanks!

That being said, I have decided that the ads don't bother me enough to exchange it. They're very small on the home screen and the big ones only show up when it's off. Ads never interrupt during the reading of actual books. I'm pretty well acclimated to ignoring web adverts, so it's not really that big of a deal (for me). If I had bought it for myself, I probably would have spent the extra $25...but as it stands, it doesn't detract from the usability of the device.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 9:10:56 AM PDT
You're right, A. Burke, the ads don't bother a normal person enough to get their knickers in a twist. The person who gave you the GIFT should have mentioned that you could return it, pay more, and not suffer the ads.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 9:41:05 AM PDT
Have you looked at the special offers?

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 10:01:09 AM PDT
C. Blakeney says:
I think that I read on the forum that you could remove the adds but would be charged for it

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 9:22:48 PM PST
It does interfere. Trying to get your password in is a real pain which I am sure is somehow related to the ads. I say this because my daughter has a Kindle without ads and she has no problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2012 9:28:58 PM PST
I bought my Kindle at Best Buy, there were no options to have "special offers" which is nothing more that straight ads. The password function is slow and I think it is due to the ads. Anyway, it is annoying. Can Kindles purchased other than Amazon be returned and then repurchased through Amazon?

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 6:45:12 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 20, 2012 8:04:44 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2012 7:23:34 AM PST
M Lewis says:
Advocating hacking, violating terms of service, and voiding your warranty on an Amazon site? Smooth.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 1748 31 seconds ago
SwagBucks Thread 2016 404 1 minute ago
85° and Sunny - A Perfect Day to RAOK! 9785 2 minutes ago
Broken Kindle Recycling 15 5 minutes ago
Fire Tv has no sound on HDMI 2 239 10 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - June 2016 620 14 minutes ago
What is the "Others" storage category 145 17 minutes ago
how do i find the total number of books on my kindle fire 13 18 minutes ago
Kindle - "Unable to connect at this time" Error - Please Help. 43 24 minutes ago
Kindle Updates as of June 26 25 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  75
Total posts:  135
Initial post:  Apr 28, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 27, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions