Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

New free kindle books resource

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 296 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 16, 2012 6:01:02 AM PDT
Got me email today and it had my preferred genre. When I clicked on "see all" it showed me only the books in my preferred genre -- perfect!! I like that I, also, have the option of selecting other genres to look at if I wish. Thanks.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 7:49:12 AM PDT
La' Bookchic says:
@Herbie,

Received my new email with all my 15 genres and it didn't go to SPAM for AOL...Yippee!! I like the new format where I can see the blurb, # of pages and the genre before even clicking. You guys did a GREAT job! Happy customer here!! =)

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 12:03:18 PM PDT
Herbie says:
Thanks very much :)

I've a few more improvements lined up including better layout for mobile devices and Kindle browser.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 1:10:27 PM PDT
Kelly S says:
Herbie, I thought this site had been in the US for a long time. I never mentioned it in the free chat and books room because I thought everyone was already using it. It's been on my favorites TOOL bar forever! LOL Looks like you're getting a good following going. I will try to come by and say "hi" and keep you nice and visible, I think your site offers a great tool, but I hope you do look into the spam email thing a little more and maybe double check your staff, because in the beginning I had issues also, and it seems more than coinsidental to me.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 1:13:46 PM PDT
Herbie says:
Hi Kelly,

Are you sure we're talking about the same site, because ours has only been running for three weeks now, unless someone had the domain dailyfreebooks.com before us.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 12:25:03 AM PDT
Kelly S says:
wow Herbie, I can't believe that I was the last post in here... it just died... it was really going this morning.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 12:30:45 AM PDT
Herbie says:
Now I'm even more confused ??

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 6:25:08 AM PDT
Arieswoman says:
Just wanted to let you know Herbie how much I like DFB. I have gotten several freebies and bookmarked my settings! Also I like knowing page numbers for each book. I seldom "buy" book under 100 pages.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 6:43:01 AM PDT
B. Jones says:
Wow, what a nicely designed site. I've bookmarked it and am going now to sign up for the daily emails. Well done and thank you!

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 6:47:56 AM PDT
GeckoFriend says:
I like your site and use it daily. I also like most of the changes you've made over the past couple of weeks. My only complaint is the broad classification of the genre "Crime, Mystery & Thrillers". I love mysteries and hate true crime and thrillers. Any chance of some separation?

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 7:00:35 AM PDT
Herbie says:
Hi all, and again, thanks for the great feedback.

@GeckoFriend, I will have a look into this for you to see if there's anything we can do to help with this.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 7:50:03 AM PDT
Linda B says:
I had looked at the site awhile back and didn't find if particularly useful.
So glad I came back for another look. Much improved and now on my bookmarked list.
Thanks.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 11:30:55 AM PDT
Herbie says:
Thanks Linda, :)

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 2:11:50 PM PDT
Kelly S says:
Afternoon Herbie,
I went back and the site is dailyfreebooks, but when I clicked on it the site does look different... but I can't see it being owned so recently, I just got my kindle 6 months ago... I'm probably just missing some marbles, but it's wierd... your site IS DEFINATELY on my favorites bar. You know.. a staple of the day!!! I like it A LOT... what's up with pinterest... I see it loading stuff in there, but I don't see their little pin. I actually got a free book.. .Pin it to win it... and I thought twice about the site and that was just 2 days before they started getting the bad publicity on TV. I guess they can really cash in on a lot of your rights. something to read. They do mention Nordstrom in the book and how well they are doing, and other books are talking about them and building them up...
GOOD LUCK WITH THIS SITE. If you need any US work from home help, keep me in mind.

Posted on Jun 17, 2012 7:53:42 PM PDT
Zoo Keeper says:
Just used the "Since your last visit" option. Why had I not used it before?? Must be the blonde hair.
Anyway, just wanted to let you know how great it was. It made it so easy to check for updates, without wading through everything hoping to find what is new.
Thanks for this site.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 7:13:50 AM PDT
Herbie says:
We have made a few further improvements to the site again this morning - much more readable formatting when viewed on the Kindle browser and phones.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 7:59:54 AM PDT
Anastassia says:
Thanks, Herbie, for a great site ! It's great to see you respond so quickly and effectively to your users' suggestions.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 8:30:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 18, 2012 8:45:00 AM PDT
Herbie - I have an interest in post-apocalyptic fiction. Where would I find it on your site?

Also - I'd love it if I could set my filters all at one time instead of having to set one, then experience a refresh, then set another, then having to deal with another refresh.

Also, I think being able to see sub-genres would help even more.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 8:58:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 18, 2012 8:59:36 AM PDT
Herbie says:
Hi Melissa,

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm not overly familiar with post-apocalyptic fiction, but perhaps Sci-Fi would be a good starting point.

Regarding the refresh, we've deliberately avoided ajax at the moment, so setting filters does cause a page reload. If you get them set how you like, you can bookmark the page with those settings and they will stay every time you go to the site via that bookmark. Alternatively, you can use the Save feature and just reload all your filters with one click.

The sub genres is a good idea though at present we've opted to not go down to too fine a level of detail on genres to avoid everything becoming too complex. This may be something we do in the future however if the site becomes popular.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 9:08:44 AM PDT
Thanks Herbie. I absolutely understand that setting up my filters will cause multiple refreshes, but there are times I want to step outside the filters I set up - maybe one day I'll be interested in looking at Classic Fiction, and the next day, maybe not.

How will this affect my filters?

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 9:14:21 AM PDT
Herbie says:
Probably the easiest thing to do in that case would be to bookmark the different sets, so for example you could set up a bookmark for 'default' with your most common settings, and then change these to include 'classic fiction' and save that as a separate bookmark.

If you use the saved settings, these only overwrite if you re-save them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 11:40:17 AM PDT
GV Shopper says:
Love the site, but I have two requests:

First, would it be possible to add a different way to set multiple genry filters. The shift-click works fine on the PC, but on the android tablet with the standard browser I haven't found a way to duplicate that. The rest of the site seems to work fine, but I would love to use the multi-genre filter. If that's too complicated, perhaps a "sort by genre" would be a usable alternative.

Second (I've seen this on the list before) could you add the publisher when known.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 2:34:37 PM PDT
Thanks for pointing out about the shift clicking on tablets. I'll see if we can come up with a good solution. The publisher info is on the way soon.

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 6:07:54 AM PDT
Herbie says:
A few more updates today : Publisher info is now being shown where available, and an alternative method for selecting multiple genres when used on Android, iPad and Kindle Fire tablets.

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 7:33:46 AM PDT
Arieswoman says:
@Herbie
A suggestion for the daily emails that you send. Could it be possible to some what compact the page so it does not take so much time to scroll through to the end to see what is up for grabs in the email? Seems to me that too much space is being wasted between books. Hope I am explaining this clearly enough.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle for Android 4.6
82 8 hours ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 29 days ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Organizing books 7 5 seconds ago
Prices 3 22 seconds ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 2746 1 minute ago
FREE Books & Chat - Wed/Thurs August 27 & 28, 2014 99 2 minutes ago
SwagBucks Thread 2521 3 minutes ago
RAoK #78 and still going! 3377 4 minutes ago
2 year warranty- screen problems covered? 2 12 minutes ago
is there an app for that? 3195 16 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  54
Total posts:  296
Initial post:  May 24, 2012
Latest post:  May 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions