FREE Books and Chat - Sunday, April 22, 2012

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 192 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 12:25:54 PM PDT
*clap* *clap* *clap*

Excellent!

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 12:31:13 PM PDT
bethcross says:
I, too, took Bill Crider's book. His name pops up frequently in various places and I've read a lot of good things about him while actually not having read any of his work, so I've decided FREE and the combination of that stupid review were enough to get me started! I actually worked for a Bill Crider and was friends with his daughter while in high school. Despite the fact the author is also from Texas, I don't believe they are one and the same.

I also took Bill Bernico's newest Matt Cooper story. For some reason, those don't show up on eReaderIQ lists, at least not with my genre filters, which is strange. . .

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 12:55:04 PM PDT
BookTalk says:
Coming out of lurkdom to nominate another review for most worthless. The book in question is a memoir.

2 of 15 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong representation, March 10, 2012
By jerandkay (home) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hippie Boy: A Girl's Story (Kindle Edition)
I have only read the description of this book and I realize that I might not really understand the content, but the Mormon church is not like what is being described. To learn what it is like go to [...].

All 3 one-star reviews are from people complaining that Mormonism is not fairly represented. It ticks me off when people ding an author's stars based on nothing but their differing POV.

While I'm at it, thanks to all of you for posting your finds! I hunt down freebies myself but I almost always find 1 or 2 here that I missed.

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 1:10:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 22, 2012 1:50:46 PM PDT
Kay says:
BookTalk and Nospin, I reported both. These bogus one star reviews are as unacceptable as the shill 5 star reviews! And dinging a book by "lowering" your number of stars because you disagree with a POV is also inappropriate! Since last week, I'm hardly glance at reviews except the one stars where they mention poor formatting issues, editing...

I'm sorry to rant, but I was just checking to see if another "review" I had reported for abuse was removed, and I find that it was not. It is for the Sherlock Foundation--where last week we suspected that the author gave himself a 5 star review. Reader wrote a comment on his review and the author responded, confirming that he is the author and sees nothing wrong with reviewing his own work. HOWEVER, even if he was under that mistaken belief he wrote the words "as the author states" in his review. He is deliberately misleading anyone who reads the review into thinking he is NOT the author!

And, it gets worse. This same Paul Holmes has "reviewed" all the book he has authored. In his "review" for Eric Gregory and the Devil's Door he also writes the review as if he were just someone who happened to pick up the book. It's outrageous!

Anyway, I'm so sorry. I'd promised myself not to post more than just book selections and courteous chit chat, but find I am too steamed at the moment to do so!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 1:19:20 PM PDT
Scrapmom says:
That review is very inappropriate and I downvoted it. I have The Prairie Chicken Kill (Truman Smith Mystery Series) in my TBR pile and just moved it up. Thanks for reminding me of it.
I have read the Sheriff Dan Rhodes series by Bill Crider and enjoyed the books.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 1:20:04 PM PDT
BookTalk says:
Kay, I reported both reviews as well. With all the hours and hours of their lives that authors put into their books, it's just unacceptable to me to watch them bashed for things like this.

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 1:21:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 22, 2012 1:24:08 PM PDT
liz bennet says:
@Kay-That's infuriating! I've reported him on both, and as I previously picked up The Sherlock Foundation for free, I will read that next and give it an honest review, good or bad. I'm appalled!

Did you notice the other 5-star reviewer hadn't read it yet?

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 1:21:41 PM PDT
babel says:
Well, who'da thunk it'd take this long to go through kinlib's 215. After reading loads of look-insides and reviews, I've come up with... no clicks today from kinlib. But I did click The Prairie Chicken Kill (Truman Smith Mystery Series) from Nospin's post about the worst review of the day. I am now all tired out. Time for a Ninja Nap. See you all later. Cheers.

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 1:25:29 PM PDT
Scrapmom says:
Today's picks:
The Gauntlet Assassin (An Action Thriller)
All God's Creatures ( was compared to James Herriott)
What Wild Moonlight ( romance)
Murder on the Interstate ( A Logan & Cafferty Mystery/Suspense Novel )
Lost & Found (A Lost Ones Novel Book 1) ( paranormal?)

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 1:29:38 PM PDT
Kay says:
@liz bennett--yes I had. However it's clear from his review that he's a friend of the author. I would not have minded his giving a 5 star review if he'd actually read the book. If a friend or family discloses the relationship, I have no issue with whatever comment or star rating they choose to give.

BTW--love your name!

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 1:32:37 PM PDT
bethcross says:
I got Hippie Boy: A Girl's Story when it was first offered last year some time.

As for the truth of the Mormon faith, well, I can't really speak to that, except to say that the people who yell the loudest about jabs against their faith, whatever it may be, tend to be doing so because there is a grain of truth to what is being said and they perceive a threat in it.

One of the first "real" books I read on my Kindle was Adventures of the Karaoke King, which is sort of an epic meandering novel. There is a fairly extensive section about the Mormon church in Salt Lake City and its acolytes. Despite how I felt about the book itself, the author's impressions of the Mormon faith and Salt Lake City fairly closely matched my own from when I was there, thankfully, briefly.

As in all things, I tend to be leery when people "doth protest too much" about any topic. I have, will and will continue to 1-click books that receive negative reviews from people who are affronted by them. I love that - guess I'm just ornery that way.

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 1:37:38 PM PDT
liz bennet says:
@Kay-Thanks!

I don't begrudge someone positive reviews from those who may feel partiality and read with a biased eye. But they should at least bother to look at the thing before they click those stars.

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 1:44:27 PM PDT
RandOR says:
A couple from eReader that looked interesting. Books 1 and 2...

01 Maka Shan (Maka Shan Saga) (Anatarra Whitewing, Fantasy, 371 KB, 228 pages)
This is the tale of a young woman who turns eighteen back in 1970. At eighteen, right after her mother dies, she joins a Native American commune, a pan-tribal tribe, seeking her true roots as she carries Native American blood herself...She is called to ancient Mayan ritual grounds. She there finds, much to her surprise, that she actually belongs to an ancient tribe of medicine women who are speaking to her through time.

02 The Great Return (Maka Shan Saga) (Anatarra Whitewing, Fantasy, 412 KB, 261 pages)
This is the story of a young woman whose life has somehow been pulled into a mysterious journey. This is the journey of everyone on the quest for truth about what is really going on now, here on Earth, in our times...Our heroine is determined to access this information she believes is her, our, birthright. She travels to homes of ancient tribes such as the Mayans who know what she has been told is the true medicine and the true truth.

Randy

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 1:54:12 PM PDT
bethcross says:
So, I have to admit, I have written a review for a book I've not read:

Supernatural Devices (A Steampunk Scarlett Novel: Book 1)

This book came up as a suggestion while I was searching something else. After I'd read the blurb, I was appalled by the grammatical errors and it seemed evident to me that the author had written this book to jump on the steampunk bandwagon that's so popular right now.

I seriously might have been interested in purchasing the book, except that at $4.99 for a book whose blurb is so bad, I couldn't see wasting the money. The story might be excellent, I don't know. I wanted to communicate this to the author, but could find no other way to do so except to leave a review. I think $4.99 is too steep an asking price by an untried author if you can't even write a decent descriptive blurb. My review has also been downvoted twice, but since I don't care, it doesn't make much difference to me.

I also love the diatribe I got on the review for this one Daron's Guitar Chronicles: Volume One. I simply made my case for why I didn't like the book. It was one of the first things I downloaded onto my Kindle and I truly missed "The Coming Out" part in the description. Despite the person's comments, I am NOT anti-gay. I truly thought the book was going to be more about music and not about gay sex - my fault for being an inept new Kindle user and not reading the description and/or genre classifications. I actually think it came recommended because of something else I bought and I just clicked on it without bothering to investigate further. Heck, it was FREE! For the record, the book, gay or not, is nowhere near the quality of Armistead Maupin's "Tales of the City", ALL of which I have read and adored. So take that Mr. Sensitive-who-thinks-I-am-a-gay-basher!

All that to say - I love reviews and the people who take the time to write decent, well-thought-out reviews. Many a review has helped me to decide whether to 1-click or not, it works both ways. I think we all have our methods on how we use them to our advantage. I do agree, though, that maybe Amazon should have some sort of checks-and-balances to remove reviews that have nothing to do with the product, such as the one for Bill Crider's book. Mine at least referenced the product and why I wouldn't be buying it! This one seemingly had no tie-in to the book!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 2:07:10 PM PDT
liz bennet says:
@bethcross-At least you gave it two stars and had a reason! I too rejected Supernatural Devices (A Steampunk Scarlett Novel: Book 1) because of the awful blurb, and I came across it when it was free. I don't know how else you could let the author know how bad it was, pity there isn't a "Notes" or just "Comments" section.

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 2:15:02 PM PDT
bethcross says:
I agree, a Notes or Comments section for any book would be very helpful. . .it would allow those with questions or negative comments a place to "relieve" themselves but at the same time would not give a negative impact on the author. That was why I went with 2-stars on that review instead of 1 - the book may very well be good, the author cetainly appears to be prolific and accomplished.

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 2:19:29 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 22, 2012 2:22:55 PM PDT
Misscali says:
The covers get stranger and weirder. Funky Junky Now there's a cover that warrants a second look.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 2:27:08 PM PDT
HappyCamper says:
Oh my Misscali, did you read the description for this one? Made me blush.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 2:28:10 PM PDT
bethcross says:
Oh my. Did you read the descriptive blurb? No, wait - did you buy the book - that's what I really want to know, lol? "Not for the easily offended" - I'm thinking that's a big no for me, and I'm not easily offended, lol!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 2:31:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 22, 2012 2:32:34 PM PDT
Misscali says:
@Happy Camper: I couldn't get past the cover.

My selections for today are:
Godhead
All God's Creatures
Breaking TWIG
Tree Soldier
Jackhammered

Did NOT buy Funky Junky............. But I did get a laugh from the photo.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 2:35:13 PM PDT
What the heck??? Why even post a review? Wouldn't those minutes be better spent, I dunno, flossing his teeth? Using a Q-tip? Honest to Pete! That's ridiculous. I hope Ammy removes it. (And I am also sooooo unhappy with this new font everywhere! It's fine in little doses, and I can see that the letters are "pretty," but they don't make for easy reading. I have some blindness in one eye from optic nerve damage, and ageing eyes aside from that, and this font makes using the Amazon site really unappealing.)

Sorry 'bout the ranting -- I'm also getting a head cold and I'm feeling yucky and cranky today!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 2:36:24 PM PDT
I did not 'copy and paste' any recipe in this book. I'm not new to publishing but am new to Kindle. I did what I always have done and used 2 columns for my ingredients. Oops! Didn't get the 'Sugar Plum' recipe corrected. Just did that and it will be loaded in about 12 hours. As for the 'Boston Brown Bread', it has been in my family for generations and is a great bread. Even though it has 2 cups of syrup, it's not very sweet and makes 4 loaves of bread. Try the recipe for yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 2:36:41 PM PDT
I am sorry for your loss, bethcross. I am glad that the service worked out, even if there was a glitch there.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 2:40:53 PM PDT
Mieko* says:
Nospin do you know what day Jon Stewart talked about zombies...I can watch it on my PC

Micki

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 2:43:51 PM PDT
Will wait for the corrections Mary Alice, then see what things look like.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Thank you for your support of Amazon Discussion Forums. Due to the changing needs of Amazon Forums, we have decided to stop supporting the ‘Active discussions in related forums’ feature in order to focus on providing the most value for our customers.  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  51
Total posts:  192
Initial post:  Apr 22, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions