Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Regrets on buying Kindle Fire? Suggestions for the next model??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 464 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 12:19:37 PM PST
M. Ratcheson says:
No, A. There is no camera and there is no mic on the Fire, so it can't Skype.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 12:21:48 PM PST
A. SOTO says:
Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 12:28:48 PM PST
Timothy Mott says:
3G and camera would put it in the iPad price level, I would suspect.

BTW . . . we have a standard Kindle and were suprised to see that the free Whispernet worked even on the east coast of Nicaragua. Even the experimental web surfing app worked ok. The fact that it worked at all and was free even in an international location was very cool.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 12:30:19 PM PST
To take a picture with it, you'd have to tape a camera to the back. An awkward solution at best - but really your only option considering there isn't one built in to the Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 12:36:57 PM PST
There is NO MICROPHONE nor any way to attach a mic on any KINDLE, including the FIRE. Therefore, voice applications such as SKYPE are physically impossible to implement. I suppose that you could still use SKYPE's texting feature, but why go to the trouble?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 12:39:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2011 12:40:14 PM PST
There is a forum topic on wifi problems:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_pg_oldest?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=1&cdSort=newest&cdThread=Tx1AHP0OSDCWLFK

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 12:47:14 PM PST
C. Scilley says:
I have no regrets. It works great for me.
Carolyn

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 12:51:51 PM PST
C. Scilley says:
Annette,you can shut off the rotation feature. Tap top right corner, and then tap unlocked on the top left corner.
Carolyn

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 12:52:17 PM PST
Ted says:
I don't really regret buying the Fire, but am still questioning the purchase.

I'd move the power button and add physical Home and volume buttons. (I was using the Hulu Plus app and it was a pain to change the volume.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 12:55:35 PM PST
CLS10 says:
Fire cannot skype (no mic or cameras).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 1:04:46 PM PST
C. Scilley says:
V.Zelenka, I just put in my e-mail and facebook password. Facebook works fine for me.
Carolyn

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 1:19:55 PM PST
ChuckC says:
I only have a couple of issues that are wants, more than complaints on the fire. When reading a PDF with the Kindle app, there is no search function. Using the Adobe reader there is a search function (but slow). Searching on a Kindle book on the Kindle app is FAST (I do like that!). I do like the page curl that the Ipad kindle app has, it would be cool to have that on this fire app as well. Lastly, my sound seems to be fairly low. Using a Netflix Star Trek TOS episode and compared it to the audio on the Ipad and it is about 1/2 as loud on the fire. Volume is maxed on the Fire. Native Exchange email would be cool, but I know you can get an App for that.

Other than that I think it is pretty darn cool!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 1:37:05 PM PST
Skeezix says:
Hey, Jayne. You can enlarge the font by getting the options at the *bottom* of the screen when in a magazine article, for example. It is, yes, a necessity for people wi/ vision challenges . . . I happen to be one of the unfortunates who do have them. And there are some things that are simply impossible for me to read on the Fire, even when enlarged . . . except when I can read it in the "text view" rather than in the "page view." If anyone has any more ways to increase the size of text and even images, beyond what we know Fire has for sure, can you pls share them?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 1:39:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2011 1:40:15 PM PST
Skeezix says:
Lots of info on those concerns ready and waiting: search for them in these threads. And the product info pages have information that you're looking for as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 2:22:27 PM PST
T. Chase says:
Please tell us what specifically you're having problems with.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 2:31:47 PM PST
Lori S. says:
I bought a Kindle Fire to give to my daughter for a Christmas present. I'm thinking of sending it back because I hate that you can't delete all the junk from it my daughter won't be using (facebook app, etc.).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 2:32:56 PM PST
T. Chase says:
Sailorman: I'm keeping mine and looking for a way to combat the slipperiness. Considering skins or maybe making a quilted cover.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 2:45:44 PM PST
Tony Barban says:
I tend to use mine sideways a lot. Found that if I cup my hand a little on the speaker end, I get much better volume.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 3:10:59 PM PST
saraf says:
Yes, yes! Exactly what I felt. Between the slipperyness (made up word but you get what I meant), the awful carousel implementation, and the glare on the screen I sent it back. Read one book on it and it was very hard to hold, it kept sliding out of my hands. Not where I dropped it, but it was work to hold. I held the Galaxy Tab and the Fire side by side with videos playing and I could see my face in the Fire screen. Not the Galaxy screen. And the carousel! I tried to like it, but it just isn't for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 3:16:57 PM PST
Tony Barban says:
Same thing happened to me. Finally remembered that one of the characters in the wi fi password was actually a number. Would have been nice if there was some kind of error message, a simple 'connection refused' might have gotten me looking in the correct direction for the error.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 3:21:05 PM PST
Tony Barban says:
I think the low volume problem is on the Amazon server side. Music from the Pandora app is much, much louder than sound from the streaming videos.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 3:23:17 PM PST
- Multiple profiles (users).
- Better child/purchase controls (put a PIN when you purchase an app or media). This one is HUGE!
- Better Home screen (having a stack of "last apps used" as the home is ugly). Also, need a way to make "folders" to file "books", movies, apps and such...it is a chaotic mess right now.
- Open up more of the Android Apps (Dish Sling, HBO GO, etc). Kindle is more draconian than Apple.
- Multiple household users for streaming on Prime (a la Netflix).
- Need an SD slot (5 GB of "free" cloud space is almost useless, only unlimited to bought apps. More space right now = monthly fee).
- Need volume controls, also a home and back key in the bezel.
- Consistent pinch zooming in all books, media and websites.

Fix the above, and you'd have a pretty good killer tablet.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 3:35:32 PM PST
I have an old kindle that stopped working after years of good service.My newer kindle works very well.I would like to replace the old kindle with a newer one.Please send me one asap and charge my account.I am in Tokyo on business and this could not have happened in a worse time.I live in Berkeley CA.You do not have a telephone line where I could have got to touch with the Kindle service readily.Please help.
Gabor Somorjai

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 3:44:43 PM PST
@Gabor: We are not from Amazon here; we are other Kindle owners. You have to order the device online - you can't do it through these forums.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2011 3:50:46 PM PST
HN says:
More likely someone will just take it when you sleep :P
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 11 days ago
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
36 11 days ago
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
OT: Discussion - (Freebie Books Links Only) 3272 2 minutes ago
Nonsense 13! We're the lucky ones. 2116 4 minutes ago
Why can't we loan Kindle books like we can loan paperback or hardcover? 321 5 minutes ago
Toddler locked kindle 2 5 minutes ago
Kindle Windows 8 App on PC: Where are Files saved? 136 9 minutes ago
RAoK Room 81 is ready to serve you..... 7686 11 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 9905 15 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 9083 15 minutes ago
export notes & marks to word or some other format? 20 16 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  268
Total posts:  464
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 32 customers

Search Customer Discussions