Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Nintendo Digital Games Outdoor Deals on DOTD
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Australian kindle users thread #2 (Kiwis welcome)

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1276-1300 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jul 5, 2012 9:00:46 PM PDT
Discus49 says:
My new Galaxy S3 has arrived. "I'm just going outside. I may be some time."

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 9:32:20 PM PDT
Donna S says:
Won't hear from him for a while...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 9:33:55 PM PDT
Unless he posts from the new toy :-)

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 9:48:01 PM PDT
Donna S says:
Will he play with the toy (kinesthetic) or will he read the instructions (verbal) or will he get someone to show him (visual/social) or will he ask here?

JJulieJ, how much 'data' do you need to have on your plan to achieve all that you do with your smart phone? I'm getting one next month.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 9:59:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 5, 2012 9:59:43 PM PDT
Discus49 says:
He's reading the effing instructions. They're written in a mixture of Swahili, Serbo-Croat and Broken Ingrish. See you next year. *sighs*

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 10:11:08 PM PDT
Suncoast says:
Donna - If I have something very new I scan the instructions (verbal) then futz around (kinesthetic) with verbal (or Google) checks if needed. If I have some knowledge of the gadget I am mainly kinesthetic.

My wife is almost totally visual/artistic and needs to be shown and write things down (she is also a good artist and plays the piano). She doesn't appreciate, understand or use computers or mobile phones (except for emergency contact) and won't even look at a Kindle. Her bookshelf is overloaded, she won't get rid of a book and has only recently put a tick in each book when it has been read. Surprisingly she can't live without her iPod linked to the hi fi but frequently has difficulty in finding the music she wants to play.

Despite this we have been married over 50 years and the differences have only become noticeable in the last few years since the advent of hi tech computers and gadgets.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 10:15:05 PM PDT
Angela says:
Oh dear - how do I really truly LOL digitally? However it is I am soooo doing it now.
I guess that means he's asking for help ?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 10:19:05 PM PDT
Donna S says:
'a mixture of Swahili, Serbo-Croat and Broken Ingrish.' (inclusive)

See you next year. (time management skills)

*sighs* (effective self knowledge)

Reads like a resume'...

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 10:23:34 PM PDT
Especially with new phones, but also with other small gadgets, I sit down with gadget in one hand and instructions in the other, and read through the instructions while I do what it describes. Funnily enough, though, I'm more visual than kinaesthetic; the act of watching what happens when I follow the instructions is what impresses it on my mind, rather than the doing.

Discus is a doctor, so he must be smart. I'm sure those other languages will give him no trouble at all. It'll be the Ingrish he can't follow.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 10:34:41 PM PDT
JJulieJ says:
I have a plan with 2Gb data, it was the most cost effective plan that included the phone at the time. I actually use a mere fraction of that each month, 5% or less, but I don't download a lot of video or high bandwidth stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 10:35:39 PM PDT
JJulieJ says:
What are you doing a stupid thing like that for? I just started using mine and figured things out as I went ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2012 10:54:14 PM PDT
Sha57 says:
Dear Discus

I use the "Monkey see, monkey do" method and try to learn from the reviews on Youtube - if available.
There are quite a few reviews (in English) of the Samsung Galaxy 3 - good luck, mate!!!

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 12:24:53 AM PDT
Suncoast says:
Ken Follett will be releasing the next part of his Century Trilogy - - The Winter of the World - - on 18 September. The first part was an 850 page saga about the First World War. This part (only 600 pages this time) covers the rise of Hitler thru to Hiroshima. While the first book in the trilogy was not a patch on his Pillars of the Earth series, the next book may be worth a look.

The pre-release pricing is interesting:
Australia $17.05 Macmillan; US $19.99 Penguin Publishing; NZ $9.99 Pan Open Market. So if you read Ken Follett's books and live in or are travelling to NZ pre-order now for the best price.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 12:56:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 6, 2012 12:58:47 AM PDT
Tui Allen says:
Ingrish ? I think that's what Jeff speaks. He says ejog for hedgehog and then he says "Pass me a cork." So I pass him a cork and he says , "No I want a corka corla"
And he talks about taking me to see the "sner" falling on the mountain but he never gets around to it.

Once he wanted a bowl for Vicky Naylor. I said, "Whose Vicky Naylor and why should I give her one of my bowls?"

He actually had blocked sinuses and was requesting a bowl to use for the Vick inhaler.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 2:37:35 AM PDT
Discus49 says:
I assume Jeff is a Kiwi? Kiwis only have three vowels, and they're all interchangeable ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 3:20:51 AM PDT
I rather like "ejog". Though it doesn't trump the Romany for hedgehog, which is hotchi-witchi. I've never thought of them as anything else since I discovered that :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 5:14:16 AM PDT
JJulieJ says:
Thirty minutes in the naughty corner, Discus!

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 5:28:07 AM PDT
Pip says:
Hi all, long time lurker of this friendly thread. Picked up 2 K4s yesterday at Woolies in Mundaring WA for $99 each. They had 7 left.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 6:06:14 AM PDT
JJulieJ says:
Well done, Pip. Enjoy!

And welcome ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 2:55:09 PM PDT
Discus49 says:
Surely I deserve some remission for good behaviour? I haven't been censored by Amazon for over a week.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 4:42:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 6, 2012 4:42:49 PM PDT
Maybe remission for good behaviour is that you get to start at the beginning of the book again, so covering ground you've already covered? Though maybe that could be considered "with hard labour" instead...

PS. Discus, don't argue with the boss! LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 4:55:53 PM PDT
Welcome, Pip. Are they your first kindles, or an upgrade?

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 7:26:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 6, 2012 7:54:53 PM PDT
Haven't come on for 1 day and 32 posts to go through! Been lost reading :). Now a question for those that bought separate Kindle lights. I hate the robotic one that came free with my cover, it's clumsy, big, annoying with my cover as I can't fold it back with it and not good lighting, hate the conical. Looking at picking up a Verso clip light but also looking at the Belkin. As I want to use with my cover on do you have any suggestions?
P.S Going to go with this one the VERSO CLIP LIGHT:

It is lightweight and can clip to kindle or cover and has rubber covering the clips to not scratch it. Anyone have it?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 8:57:15 PM PDT
I don't have it, Kindleworm Sandra, but I'd be interested to hear comments on it. I have a book light from way back, that doubles as a torch, which I use if I really want something, but I also recently tried a $2 job from the Reject Shop. Factors for me:
1) I want even light spread across the screen and no glare. (Neither of my options so far does that.)
2) I'd prefer to be able to use rechargeable batteries, and generally I'm not favourably impressed by the life length of button cell batteries. (My older option fits that criterion; the $2 job doesn't. I'd avoid the Verso on that count - 2xCR2032 batteries for 20 hours of reading is what I call expensive lighting.)
3) I'd prefer not to have an LED light - I find the light tint uncomfortably blue. (My older option fits that, the $2 job doesn't, and the Verso doesn't.)
4) Compact is good. (My older option isn't so good here, the $2 job is almost too good - it doesn't have a very long "arm", so sits quite close to the screen.)

I know - I'm just picky :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 9:36:38 PM PDT
Sha57 says:
Hi KindleWorm Sandra

I don't have the Verso, I bought an Energiser flex LED with rubber grips on the clip from BigW about $20. It does the job and handy at night clipped on the dressing gown - hands free for the midnight snack!

Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What's New in IOS Version 4.12?
56 5 days ago
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 Sep 18, 2015
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 Sep 18, 2015
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 7941 39 seconds ago
Kindle Unlimited membership sale - 25 - 40% off 9 50 seconds ago
Devices 0 1 minute ago
83 and we're RAoKing PRIME 6748 4 minutes ago
Foreign authors in original language 5 4 minutes ago
SwagBucks Thread 8652 4 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 4631 15 minutes ago
why can't I loan some of my books 164 16 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  137
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  May 29, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions