Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Announcement

Kindle for Android Update Version 3.6

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 163 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 2:17:55 PM PDT
PS56k says:
@mizscorpio says:
I have a problem with my Kindle Fire! I was enjoying it, reading a book outdoors on the porch, going on Facebook, etc. when all of a sudden I lost my wi-fi connection.
---
in the future, suggest you start a new topic with your question vs just piggybacking on some random one....

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 8:36:55 PM PDT
@ Jazzy_Jeff:
I will look into Calibre, she believes in the "one click and done" idiom so it may be tough to get her to compromise.

@ PS56k :
The 3 dots (tower) are in the top right corner of the Kindle app (at least on the Polaroid)
Yes, I realized earlier that when I posted the numbers for the SDK & API, they are datum from the Polaroid, in this case. The SDK 2.3.4 and API Level 10 you see are the stats for your device.

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 11:37:45 PM PDT
Leumas says:
I am impressed very much with the Kindle For Android App (KFAA).

Features that the KFAA has that I would love to see implemented on the Fire's reader are
1- Pinch to zoom
2- Automatic usage of multiple dictionaries for different languages

Feature on the K3 and K2 etc. that I would love to see on the Fire's reader
1- Collections
2- Ability to search for words (not from a book) in the inbuilt dictionary with a similar action as with the K3 where you can look up a word very quickly. The Fire now does not allow for that and normal searching the dictionary is excruciatingly slow.
3- Text to speech
4- Ability to highlight across pages

Amazon is the best

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 1:32:54 AM PDT
KindleWrite says:
The Kindle for Android app works perfectly on both of my Android devices and the vast majority of users have no problem with it on theirs, so no, the app is NOT "garbage".

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 11:17:37 AM PDT
@mizscorpio: One other way to fix a disappearing wifi connection is simply to turn wifi off, then back on again. That will reestablish your connection without having to restart or reset(30 sec power button hold).

Is the Android version being discussed newer then the 6.3.1 that is on my Kindle Fire? Or are you all discussing sideloading a new version of Android? Thought the newest was 4.1.4 Icecream?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 12:25:44 PM PDT
PS56k says:
@ Chris - Is the Android version being discussed newer then the 6.3.1 that is on my Kindle Fire? Or are you all discussing sideloading a new version of Android? Thought the newest was 4.1.4 Icecream?
----------
as the title indicates, this is about the Kindle for Android reading APP, and not the OS...

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 2:35:36 PM PDT
Works fine for me :)

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 9:27:32 PM PDT
KindleWrite says:
Chris,you need to educate yourself a bit more. This thread is discussing the Kindle APP for Android. Ice Cream is the latest version of the Android OS. Two completely different things.

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 3:58:11 AM PDT
I had Kindle for Android installed on a phone that I lost and now I can't install it on my new phone because it appears to be already installed.
I can't deregister the old device because I don't have it anymore.

Can anyone tell me how to get the app installed on my new phone?

Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 5:53:37 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 6:34:28 AM PDT
Thank you :)

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 8:12:06 AM PDT
Also, you can have a number of Android apps installed - having the lost one still registered would not have prevented registering the new one. You should make sure you were using the correct email and password for your Amazon account.

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 2:29:01 PM PDT
PS56k & KindleWrite: Simply answering my question would have been sufficient, there was no call to be insulting. The only android device i have at the moment is the Kindle Fire, so I was not familiar with the topic. In future maybe you two should stick to simply answering the questions asked or not, instead of insulting people. And I will avoid posting to topics I am unsure of, there everybody happy?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 2:34:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 27, 2012 2:35:48 PM PDT
PS56k says:
@ Chris -
if you are gonna throw around technical terms and numeric versions of software, then make sure you know what you are talking about...
or else just start your message with.... I'm not sure what all these versions mean, could someone explain.... and we would be happy to -

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2012 11:06:15 AM PDT
BJ says:
So, is the justification selectable? I really hate being forced to use left-justified text.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 9:31:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2012 9:36:28 AM PDT
I've used kindle for android on my Motorola Droid (the original) for over a year, no problem. Had to reformat, which means I had to install the latest kindle version today.. after about a minute, it says app stopped responding.. wait or force close. I clicked wait, then my phone proceeded to stop responding altogether. I took out the battery and tried again. This time it got to the login screen, but apparently was still slowing down my phone because it wouldn't respond to me typing, instead it didn't register my touches, and just went to sleep. I pushed the power button to wake up the phone, and after a minute it came back on, but since it took a minute, I had pressed the power button more than once, so it went right back to sleep. After a few more rounds of this- took out the battery again.

Kindle app is 14mb. That's bigger than the books! Excuse me, amazon, but what are you hiding in this app? I'm an app developer, and I know for sure it's close to impossible to get 14mb without a heavy graphics library or music. You're an e-book reader- tone it down. Getting too big for it's own britches.

Dear Amazon: If you need to hire a competent programmer that can make an e-book reader less than 1mb, just let me know. It's not hard.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 9:41:30 AM PDT
Q says:
Fred,
That app does a lot more than read. It handles real page numbers, margins, line spacing, font changes, etc.

While 14MB may be a lot, asking for 1 MB sounds unreasonable as well!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 12:25:02 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Let us see you make a reader less than 1mb. I have yet to see one. Especially when it has to handle DRM.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 12:39:29 PM PDT
Just Peachy says:
Google Play Books is over 9MB
B&N Nook for Android is 2MB

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 1:41:00 PM PDT
Compiling an APK for android does not add much size, let's say 100kb. Writing an app that displays text in a paginated form shouldn't be more than a couple hundred lines of code. The download and sign-in mechanism, let's say at worst, 1,000 lines of code. 1MB = 1,048,576 characters. My code has an average of 20 characters per line. That's 52,428 lines of code. (in other words, very likey a lot of that code isn't for our benefit)

Jazzy Jeff is correct that a large portion of 14mb this is DRM. As a consumer, I'm having a hard time seeing why I /buy/ books if the purchased version is worse than the alternative.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 1:54:23 PM PDT
The last update on the Android app seemed to blow it up from 4-5M to 14-16M, and then there was another update that took it back down. I'm not convinced that the current large size is actually necessary. My suspicion has been that there are a lot of different resolutions of graphics included.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 2:00:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 29, 2012 2:01:54 PM PDT
Kindle is one of the most used apps on my phone (Sprint's original HTC EVO), but it definitely doesn't behave well. I have no idea whether the fault is with Amazon, HTC, Sprint, or all three.

When my phone was updated to Gingerbread, Kindle was part of the update. It's in main memory and (maybe because it was a pre-install) cannot be moved to the SD card. It began as 1.5 MB, but each update added to the size. At one point it ballooned to forty-four MB!

The only way to reduce its size is, before each update, uninstall all previous updates to get back to the originally installed version. Since Amazon views this as a whole new device, it registers it as Sue's third Android instead of Sue's EVO, I then have to deregister the "old" device and rename the new one to Sue's EVO.

Even more annoying, it also grows between updates - a lot. My ebooks are all stored on my SD card, but it almost seems as though as I open each book, it hauls a copy into main memory and never releases that storage. It can't be just bookmarks, etc.

My phone has fairly limited storage, and I've had to uninstall half my apps just to have room for the Kindle app.

I've just now done the uninstall updates/apply newest update process, and it currently takes up 19.29 MB, which seems very high.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 4:11:37 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I personally don't read books from Amazon on my phone. Kindle for Android takes up to much space. It is rare that I ever have to with 2 Kindles and an Android tablet with a lot more space. I just keep some classics on my phone and use FB Reader.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 4:20:20 PM PDT
I'm still dithering about what tablet to buy ;)

I'm so used to reading on small backlit screens (from ten years reading on Pocket PCs) that I do nearly all of my reading on my phone while my Kindle collects dust.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 4:23:20 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I started reading on a Pocket PC as well. It was an easy transition to the Kindle for me.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  58
Total posts:  163
Initial post:  Jun 14, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions