Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle problems

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 328 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 5:34:32 AM PDT
If the publisher has included page numbers, you can turn them on from the menu that comes up when you touch the top of the screen. (For kindle touch)

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 2:57:14 PM PDT
@Drew Peterson

If you have a Kindle Fire. there are no page numbers with the Kindle Reader that come stock on the Kindle Fire, only location numbers.

I use GO Launcher EX version 3, on my Kindle Fire, and I also use Kindle for Android on it. Kindle for Android, has both Page and Location Numbers. And contrary to what Amazon say. Kindle for Android works just fine on the Kindle Fire "at least so far"

If you decide to install Kindle for Android, on your Kindle Fire. You will need to send all future purchase's to you Kindle for Android Device, instead of to you Kindle Fire. As it is registered as a separate device.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 3:42:17 PM PDT
Grafted-In says:
After working for several hours and not being able to connect to my WIFI, despite having all the available info, was helped by the online help. The problem was that what Amazon calls the "password" is really the "Security Key" and it is case sensitive. In my case all the letters needed to be caps, and there is a key which converts the letters to caps (upward arrow). But the key is only good for one letter, so the upward arrow must be tapped for every Capital letter in the Security Code. Once we did that, we were on WIFI, and were automatically registered.
JimBinTN

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 3:58:29 PM PDT
Your routers wed-site will have a place security that will request a password.If you don't have a password get one,if you do then that is the password you will use when they call for one.

Posted on May 18, 2012 5:32:55 PM PDT
JillM says:
My Kindle Fire is less than a month old and should be well within the first free month of Amazon Prime, but I've been charged for a movie and several episodes of a show. I have checked, and as far as I can tell these items are in the instant view store and should be free. Why am I being charged?

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 5:59:20 PM PDT
flipoid says:
Is your Fire registered to the account that has the free Amazon Prime trial?

Posted on May 18, 2012 5:59:48 PM PDT
jsh1120 says:
JillM,

Probably not the best place to ask your question. Give Kindle Customer Support a call and they can either cancel the charges or explain the reason for them. Go to "Help and Feedback" in your settings and select "Contact Customer Service." Best to select Phone and have them give you a call. (It's virtually instantaneous.) Just be prepared to provide information about your account.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 7:26:29 PM PDT
@Grafted-In

You are for the most part absolutely correct. I have long seen people speaking about their password for connecting to their router.

The up arrow key on your Kindle Fire, if tapped once will only allow one capitalized letter to be entered.
If tapped twice then all letter entered after will be capitalized until you tap the up arrow again.

The first Security Key "password" for most router's will be the "WEP Key" and will also be printed on a lable attached to the outside of your router.
The WEP Key is a 12 digit Hexadecimal series of numbers, "Hexadecimal" means base 16, and you can think of it, as your having 16 fingers instead of 10.
These number are inclusive. 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,A,B,C,D,E,F. I have been doing this for so long that I do not remember all of the rules. But I have always used Capitalized letters for the last 6 digits.

Your router on the other hand also has a password, but will only be needed if you actually want to configure you router, to something other than the way it was set up at the manufacture's facility.

The most common user name will be "Admin" and the most common password will be "Root". Your router most often will be accessed by your web browser by entering the 4 dot com address of the router 192.168.0.1, but that will not work for all routers, but the user Manuel for your router will give you the proper address. When and if you go there, tread very carefully. You most likely will not brick your router, but you can make it inaccessible.

By the way, WEP Security is the least secure of the security keys that you can use. I can break a WEP Key in about 30 seconds. The best choice at this time is to use WPA2-PSK, AES. This will require a little thought on your part, but is the most secure at this time.

Posted on May 25, 2012 6:51:48 AM PDT
S. Hysong says:
I have downloaded several apps that do not need the internet to run, but my kindle keeps giving me a message saying that I need to connect to the internet and will not let me run the app. Help!!

Posted on May 28, 2012 9:57:45 AM PDT
I have a new Kindle Touch. It has the unhappy habit of losing it's place in the middle of a book. When touching the left side of the page it may go anywhere. It is sometime, nigh on to impossible, to find my way back to the last page read. Do I have a lemon? or is there a cure? I know about tapping the top of the page and going to Location but I don't always know the location.
Carolie

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2012 10:07:13 AM PDT
I have the 'Go to' box stuck on my screen. I can change pages but the box stays on the screen

Posted on May 28, 2012 10:08:55 AM PDT
My kindle has the 'Go to' box stuck on the screen, how do I get rid of this

Posted on May 28, 2012 10:32:05 AM PDT
LuvToysLV says:
I have a progress bar at the top of my screen with a basic Kindle which interferes with the two lines at the top of the page. How do I get rid of this?

Posted on May 28, 2012 1:39:20 PM PDT
Cheryl says:
I'm really disappointed with my Kindle Fire. I have to touch the links two or three times (or more) to get it to work. I have a hard time signing into Yahoo. When I go to Yahoo.com the page pops up huge. Then it doesn't want to let me log in. After three or four touches my keyboard finally comes up but after typing one letter the keyboard goes away. It does this a few times before it will let me finish typing my information.

Facebook is terrible to use. If I want to share a picture I have to tap share two or three times and then it shows up at the very top of the page so I have to scroll all the way up to use it. Then I have to scroll back down looking for my place.

The power that came with it only works on a hit and miss basis.

Since I've started typing this I've had problems. I try to scroll to the bottom of the message I'm typing but it wont let me do it. So this post might have something at the end that repeats or doesn't make sense.

I absolutely love my Kindle 3rd generation but I'm not happy at all with the fire.

The power cord that came with mi kindle works on a hit and miss

Posted on May 28, 2012 2:41:24 PM PDT
I received a kindle and I am wondering why I can't get any help when I can't access my books. I treat the kindle like my baby because it is I have a soft and hard case for it and now it's not working I'm wondering why I bought the cases if it's just going to quit working on its own. I mean I don't play Frisbee with the thing what was the point of getting it I'm a loyal customer been one for years what was the point maybe loyalty isn't something looked for in a customer.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2012 2:45:18 PM PDT
Dawn says:
Where have you tried to get help? Do you have a specific question for the people on these forums? What specifically is the problem and what have you done to try to resolve it?

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2012 2:51:51 PM PDT
 Ann says:
@Rosylin - How have you tried to get help?

If you want to speak to Amazon support, click the 'Help' link at the top or bottom of any Amazon site page, then press the 'Contact Us' button.

You can also ask for help from other users, either in this forum or in the Kindle Help forum ( http://amazon.com/gp/help/customer/forums/kindleqna ). It's best to start a new discussion instead of posting into an existing, unrelated thread. Tell us which Kindle you have, and describe the problem you're having, and it's likely that someone will help you.

Finally, there is a User's Guide on your Kindle, and online help pages are here - http://amazon.com/kindlesupport.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2012 3:06:15 PM PDT
If you have had your fire less than 30 days you can return it for a full refund. I'm not sure, but I think to get a refund, you need to have bought it directly from Amazon.

Have you tried contacting kindle customer service yet? They may be able to help with the issues you're having and if they cannot resolve your fire issues, they will usually offer to replace it.

My fire touchscreen is quite responsive. Occasionally, I may need to use more than one tap, but only rarely. I do use a stylus.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2012 3:20:55 PM PDT
Rogue says:
S. Hysong. If you are using free versions of apps, the app reqiures a wifi connection so it can update the ads. This is what pays for the apps development and support. If the app offers a paid version and you purchase it the wifi connection will not be needed. Glenn

Posted on May 29, 2012 9:51:12 AM PDT
My Kindle is stuck on the screen with the tree, it won't turn on at all. It is fully charged any ideas on how to fix this. I tried to do the reboot where you slide and hold for 30 seconds and still nothing. :(

Posted on May 30, 2012 9:16:58 AM PDT
I have the same problem with my Kindle. Mine is tuck with the image that is delivered automticaly by Amazon kindly. This image is covering and frozen in one half of the screen. I can use the HOME button but I can only see half of the screen. I can use the Menu option but I cannot see the menu options because they are covered or blocked by this image. I have tried resetting the device follwoing the directions by Amazon but it didn't work.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 10:49:13 AM PDT
I have had my Kindle reader for about a year and love it. However, the other evening I purchased a book to read and got the confirmation that the book had downloaded but could not get to my home page to access the book. The home button takes me th the browse page and I cannott get to the home page. Any advice??

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 3:37:41 PM PDT
I've had my kindle fire for 4 weeks.It's a lot of fun but the kfire has a way to go to make this product worth paying more that 200.00.I'm expecting Amazon to figure the problems out and patch the solutions to the users.Amazons kindle fire has a problem with some of their games.Golf,Baseball games malfunctions when you flick the golf ball.
Baseball game same problem except clicking for the batter to swing nothing happens.All of this is a real pain,seems like Were about a 5 some ways to go before this product can be worth the 199.00 I paid.

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 3:58:04 PM PDT
B.J. says:
A couple of questions:

I have a Fire but recently got a KK for outside reading.

(1) When I open a book that I've been reading, the KK asks me if I want to sync, I say yes, then it does nothing. Am I supposed to do anything else to get it to sync?

(2) When I send a book to my KK, how do I tell it to download? Or does it automatically download all books?

Assistance appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 4:01:26 PM PDT
J. Donahue says:
Since Amazon doesn't write the software which provides the games for you to play, I would suggest you take your issues up with the game developers. They may have done a poor job adapting their games to work with the Fire, rather than the other way around.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
60 3 days ago
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 7480 1 minute ago
Paperwhite Skipping Pages 298 3 minutes ago
We're So Quirky, Our Chihuahuas Ride Bicycles! So Geese and Tally Ho! 8245 9 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 3547 10 minutes ago
my kindle fire not charging properly 235 11 minutes ago
Unable to add new credit card 4 13 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - May 2015 719 28 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 3082 35 minutes ago
May Informal Poll--What are you reading 302 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  168
Total posts:  328
Initial post:  Jan 10, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 30, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 39 customers

Search Customer Discussions