Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

The June 2012 Informal Poll - What are you reading on your Kindle?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 608 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 7, 2012 8:07:20 PM PDT
F.S. says:
Started reading Boy's Life and realized I had read it several years ago. Now I'm reading Stolen Prey which is pretty good. Next will be Mystery Walk.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 9:18:25 PM PDT
I bought Mister Slaughter the other day (right now it is still on sale for Kindle for $2.99). It's the third in the Matthew Corbett series, so...

I just purchased the second in the series, The Queen of Bedlam, last night for $13.99. It's my most expensive book (Kindle OR DTB) purchase since I had to buy college textbooks years ago :)

As a long-time McCammon fan its way past time for me to catch up on the Corbett series.

I just hope McCammon got the lion's share of my money and not this particular publisher, since they have kept the price on the Kindle edition so high and the publisher of Mister Slaughter is giving a great deal.

I, too, am glad to see so many people on this board becoming acquainted with McCammon!

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 11:26:12 PM PDT
I finished reading Finding Magic by Stacia Kane, which is a prequel novella in her Downside Ghosts series. There are currently four books in the series with the fifth due out later this month. I think someone could start with the prequel, and might have an urge to because it takes place several years before the books start chronologically. But I think people would be better off reading it after at least the first couple of novels, in order to get the perspective needed.

It was a good story, nicely paced. It was interesting to see Chess while still in Church training. The novella covers how she chose which church profession to follow and also the early period of her addiction. The one thing I didn't like is how horribly repetitive it was about her self-loathing. It got really old in the fourth novel also. It's well established by now she feels that way, so it gets annoying reading those thoughts in detail every few pages. It was important to establish she felt that way back then also, and how it related to the Church taking her in, but after that there's no need to belabor it that extensively.

I've now started V is for Vengeance by Sue Grafton. (Thank you again to my anonymous gift giver!) There are about five different plot threads going on, all of which have kept me completely absorbed. But I have to admit to getting slightly antsy that at 20% in, Kinsey doesn't have an actual case yet. This book is obviously different than the usual and I'm willing to go along for the ride to see where it takes me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 5:24:36 AM PDT
I am too, Mother Beaver. I'm also glad that McCammon came back after that long break. There was a time that I thought he might never write another book. You should've seen me when I first saw Speaks the Nightbird in the store. They must've thought I was out of my mind! : )

I am still reading A Confederacy of Dunces which is hilarious. Last night I snuck in a novella Puppet Graveyard (Delirium Novella Series) by Tim Curran.
This novella ROCKED! Take a creepy ventriloquist's dummy and an insane man descended from warlocks and you've got yourself a very uneasy night of reading.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 5:29:33 AM PDT
Bea Blacklow says:
I'm reading Jo Nesbo's The Snowman, a serial killer mystery. It is on loan from my local library. This the the third or fourth book I've read this way. Nice offering, but you have to read it within the allotted two weeks or it disappears.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 5:32:39 AM PDT
slsmkbAW says:
I'm reading The Grail Conspiracy (a Cotten Stone Mystery) and I'm REALLY enjoying it. It has a new twist on the use of the Grail Chalice that I have NEVER heard before! Intriguing!

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 6:12:00 AM PDT
Someone here was commenting a few days ago that they read and enjoyed My Name is Martha Brown. If that caught your eye, it's free today!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 8:14:37 AM PDT
F J McGill says:
@Bea Blacklow,
at my library at least you can get back in line and *renew* it. Instead of being frustrated that the loan has ended I try to think of it as reading the story in serialized form. I just have to wait for the next installment.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 8:18:03 AM PDT
My Kindle DIED last night!!! :o(

Luckily it is still under warranty so Amazon said they would replace it but I'll be Kindle-less until Tuesday. I may have to resort to picking up a book!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 8:29:10 AM PDT
Oh NOOOO! I'm so sorry, Kathleen!

Hugs, Gretchen

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 8:35:07 AM PDT
Kellie says:
Oh man Kathleen! I am sorry to hear that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 8:38:33 AM PDT
Oh no! Not good!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 8:41:42 AM PDT
F J McGill says:
@Kathleen
as much as it is a PITA you could read your books via computer. ? nah.what am I thinking,blech. just wait for the replacement Kindle.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 8:47:55 AM PDT
Thanks, everyone. I have a Fire so I'll use that but I'll miss my Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 9:21:15 AM PDT
Kellie says:
That's good that you have a backup for now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 10:09:14 AM PDT
Great! Thanks for the heads up, SIngleEye Photos! Have been interested in that one for days. Now I know why I never got around to clicking!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 10:14:40 AM PDT
OH NO! the humanity!

So sorry for your loss

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 2:24:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2012 2:25:28 PM PDT
Coach D says:
I finished reading 65 Below by Basil Sands. A good decent "B" action thriller. Not up to Nothing Lasts Forever (The book that inspired the movie Die Hard) by Roderick Thorp or Tom Clancy Presents: Act of Valor by Dick Couch, but good enough. The romance angle kinda watered it down for me, but the action made up for it. A nice steady 3-Stars.

Next up: GAMELAND Episodes 1-8 (S. W. Tanpepper's GAMELAND) by Saul Tanpepper. Read episode #1 (when it was free) and Golgotha (prequel to S.W. Tanpepper's GAMELAND) and liked this series enough to subscribe to all 8 episodes. Episode #2 is included with the version I bought, and each month now (up to December 2012) I will get "updates" with one new episode per month. Zombies, Big Brother/1984, and extreme deadly entertainment (~ Death Race (Unrated) [Blu-ray] and/or Gamer [Blu-ray]).

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 3:19:29 PM PDT
I read Seaworthy Offshore Sailboat: A Guide to Essential Features, Handling, and Gear. Most of you will not want to read this, but I would put on my essential reading and study list for wannabe tramp sailors such as myself.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 4:17:18 PM PDT
I am still reading A Confederacy of Dunces but I stopped reading Darkhouse (Experiment in Terror #1). I don't know what it is about it, but it's just not for me. Which is a bummer because anything that includes the phrase "Experiment in Terror" should be right up my alley!

So I am starting Flesh and Blood by Graham Masterton which is our group's next choice. I have high hopes!

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 6:14:16 PM PDT
DinDC says:
I just started The Manhattan Project: The Birth of the Atomic Bomb in the Words of Its Creators, Eyewitnesses, and Historians. Fantastic. It was the Kindle deal of the day.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 8:45:41 AM PDT
Jamester says:
I finished Room: A Novel, which was amazing and awful all at the same time, and started The Kitchen House, which I'm really enjoying so far.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 9:09:28 AM PDT
Am currently reading A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5). Very good book! Anyone know when book 6 is scheduled to be published?

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 4:10:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2012 4:12:42 PM PDT
Do not buy Sinking of RMS Titanic. It costs $5.99 and it appears to be simply an excerpt from Titanic and other ships which sells for $1.99. It's well written but you'll get a much better tale from the cheaper book. If you're interested in Titanic, Titanic and other ships is a good read. "Sinking of Titanic" is also a good read, but it costs three dollars more and contains nothing not in the other book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 7:00:51 PM PDT
Diana, GRRM's blog says not for a while, at least another year or so. : (
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  176
Total posts:  608
Initial post:  Jun 1, 2012
Latest post:  Jul 5, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions