Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books and Chat - Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 284 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 3:43:35 PM PDT
That one is pretty good. I usually don't read alien books (no little green men plz), but it is written well. A few things are annoying, but over all I'd give it 4 stars. :)

(No little green men in this one, just buxom blue ladies. lol)

Posted on May 16, 2012 3:43:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2012 3:47:59 PM PDT
Mieko* says:
My old book has 5 pages on headaches:
Headings are:
*B vitamins for
*caused by coffee
*caused by foam pillows
*lecithin for

Disclaimer: This is out of the Natural Remedies Book and I have no idea if these work:

One woman began taking Brewer's Yeast...there it is again...Her migraines essentially stopped. Brewer's Yeast has Vit B..says so on my bottle
The book reports that she went out partying and drinking after she felt better and the migraines did not come back.
LOL

Another says she took 2 tbsp. of brewer's yeast in juice and her migraines went away after 2 weeks. She then took up jogging, takes the brewer's yeast with other vitamins, jogs 4 miles a day and feels great.

One person reports that she took Lecithin 'between 3 and 6 1200 mg capsules' and that helped her a lot.

One says she adds Lecithin to her Fiorinal, and it was so successful she didn't need Fiorinal any more.

I have no idea about this..proceed at your own risk.

Two stories tell of doing dishes in hot water...which caused her blood flow to increase and the pressure went out of her head ..that helped her.

The second woman says she takes very hot showers..same reasoning.

Just not TOO hot, I would add.....

This book is from 1982, not 1892 It is a Rodale's book. They publish Prevention Magazine.
Maybe you can google Natural Remedies for Migraines and get more up to date info

I wish you well
Micki

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 3:44:40 PM PDT
In the middle of the divorce. That is a never ending battle. (he wants everything I have, but the kids)
Lavender oil. Where might I get that? I'm going to send the 17yr old now. lol

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 3:46:23 PM PDT
Mieko* says:
MamaJ...Brewer's Yeast is a natural remedy for humans...I got mine in a Nutrition store but I am sure you can get it anywhere. Mine comes as brown tablets...

Micki

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 3:47:59 PM PDT
TerryInTexas says:
I hope the lavender oil works, I'll add that to mykit as well. The number one rule with migraines that I have found is that timing is everything. You absolutely cannot wait until the thing has gone into pain mode, like you would with a regular headache. Most people have some sort of telling sign that a migraine is coming - not always the vision issues everybody hears about. Mine is upset stomach leading to belching of all things. Whatever it is, that is the time to do something, once the full migraine starts, it is heck on wheels to stop, you almost have to let it run its course. My first go to is peppermint tea,that will sometimes head it off. Next, Excedrin is a good pharmaceutical, not big drug option - if you catch it early.

It really, really helps to keep a journal of times, weather, food eaten, etc, to try to isolate what your triggers are - here is one link, but there are also phone apps or others, do a search on migraine journal.

http://uhs.berkeley.edu/home/healthtopics/pdf/diary.pdf

My problem today was a combo - existing sinus congestion plus ozone pollution day plus humidity plus heat plus another super high grass pollen day. IF it had been only one of those, I could have headed it off.....

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 3:49:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2012 3:51:19 PM PDT
I have to say, the doing the dishes hasn't worked so far, maybe I'm not doing them fast enough? :)
I will have to try the other suggestions.
I don't want to take a pill that I can't drive after.
I wonder if I drink some wine (instead of going out partying:))

I think the Dr prescribed the big pills to "break the cycle of pain" hmmmm

ETA: more thoughts

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 3:50:35 PM PDT
Mieko* says:
smurphy, the middle of a divorce is a nasty place to be. I wish the best for you.

I grow my own lavender and dry it...make little pillows to put under bed pillows....
My younger son asks me for new ones. He also likes pine needle pillows and I doubt he has migraines, though he is going through a difficult and unexpected break up.

Micki

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 3:52:17 PM PDT
@smurphy

It looks like you can get lavender oil here on Aunt Ammy
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=lavender+essential+oil&sprefix=lavender%2Caps%2C409

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 3:53:15 PM PDT
Mieko* says:
LOL smurphy
If I had migraines or headaches I could help more maybe.
I would probably try Grandma's suggested lavender oil, or brewer's yeast which is healthy and not a drug.
Maybe both.

TerryinTexas has some good ideas too.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 3:55:09 PM PDT
This has been going on for 2 years. My attorney says he's just trying to prolong the process. Hummff (the divorce) Not a big deal anymore. Kids and I have adjusted nicely and are very happy. I just wish he was. Dragging everything out isn't helping him at all. (sorry, personal rant)

Thank you all for your suggestions!

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 3:56:56 PM PDT
MamaSylvia says:
I have a lot of respect for vinegar but unless someone knows something I don't (always possible!), it's not a sanitizing agent. Best thing you can use for that is a 10% chlorine bleach solution - it's what hospitals use and will kill almost everything - just clean the shelf/cabinet/whatever with your normal cleaning agent, rinse off with water, wipe dry-ish, spray with bleach solution, and let it air dry.

Micki, don't you have a favorite flavor of Chic Lit? Mine is pepsin.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 4:00:02 PM PDT
All,
Sending the 17yr old (with a picture) to the store to get some lavender oil. Cross your fingers :)
Murph

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 4:22:34 PM PDT
@TerryinTexas

Timing IS absolutely everything; you couldn't be more right. I had my first migraine when I was 14. It started with just a slight pressure sensation in the front of head. I paid it no mind and went about my business. Then the absolute worst headache hit and NOTHING could help. It was like liquid pain rolling around in my head every time I rolled over. Now I know when that pressure hits to take some Ibuprofen and try to fall asleep before it hits. To this day I've never had a headache (or any ache for that matter) that could compare to that first migraine.

(Side note: Yay caught up on posts, now to inspect my choices further. BBL to post my picks.)

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 4:25:17 PM PDT
Hope it works for you smurphy.
It doesn't work for me. :(

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 4:31:32 PM PDT
Mieko* says:
Mama Sylvia, I like Choc Lit better than Chic Lit. I think Chic Lit means a well dressed model striding down a runway with tail lights on her bottom.

Pepsin? Ha ha

Micki

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 4:33:12 PM PDT
I'm really confused M. Claytor. I had read previously (in one thread or another) that the Fire had a type of battery that you should never let discharge completely. Are other Fire owners letting theirs drain or keeping it charged?

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 4:36:38 PM PDT
Mieko* says:
smurphy, You can rant....sometimes it helps. I have been in that position.
I am happily married NOW, but I had some previous not so good experiences.

That third sentence really is the key...You and the kids are happy and nicely adjusted.

Micki

Posted on May 16, 2012 4:49:50 PM PDT
Jacqueline says:
Mama Sylvia - CONGRATS!! I love the new desktop now - it really is so much more powerful than my laptop, as evidence by a 15 second start up vs. 1 1/2 minutes.

@ BJ - did you get a reader installed? Hope so...

Grandma! I hope you will be soooo proud of me. I cooked! well sort of - and I feel so grateful for the bountiful amazing world we live in that I can have all these ingredients just easily canned/frozen on hand.

Stir fried fresh snow peas with canned sliced mushrooms, microwaved a salmon filet, rinsed frozen big shrimp and then skillet fried em til singed, put all that in a bowl with a half packet of equal and three shots of soy sauce, browned some brown rice and added that and a little wedge of weight watchers cream cheese. WOW....put the Chinese food place to shame - so delicious, so low calorie, so full of protein.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 4:54:20 PM PDT
Beemer says:
Hi Terry. I usually just lurk here but since I get migraines as well as sinus induced headaches that can turn into migraines if I don't catch them in time, I've decided to come forth and try to help. I've found that Advil Cold and Sinus, or the store brand which is just as good,is the only thing that will knock out that kind of headache for my daughter and I. If you decide to try it I hope it helps you too.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 4:57:49 PM PDT
Grandma says:
Any co-op or natural food store would have lavender oil smurphy - usually in the cosmetics/bath stuff area. They might have it at Whole Foods too.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 5:01:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2012 5:03:19 PM PDT
Jacqueline says:
Smurphy, you know I'm a massage therapist, or I don't know if you do....but anyway, imo the migraine comes after the huge vise like stress period - the day after before you can take a breath. So I hope the days of tightening up like a washcloth being squeezed are over and you only have to make it through this one. Or esp. right before menopause they were really severe with hormonal timing.

I love pure lavender, use it at night and it may be my favorite oil, doesn't help my if I get the migraine tho.

A dark room, or a sleep mask in a dark room, no bright lights and a rolled up towel under the back of your neck might help a lot - the towel should be about 3" thick/round, it'll tilt your head back and give your neck some relief. I can usually pop mine like this.

Wine usually made mine waaaay worse, but I have found a mucous reliever - guaffenisin, it's in a bunch of cough syrup stuff - or alone these days, does help.

If you can't chill, I don't know what pills you got but old school fiorinal is the only only thing that's ever worked for me. I've had them since pre-school and never had one fiorinal couldn't break - but really usually you are so stressed you need the rest, so I hope you can get some and just blank out your mind. The mist inhaler thing was no better than an asprin for me.

Some days we think we are too tired to ever fight the good fight again, and when I get like that I just let myself give up. ha - and then in a day or two all my spunk is back.

I do love a guided meditation because then I don't have to think, can just float and listen or not, I'm not good with just empty mind meditation.

Counting your breathing - 4 counts in, 4 counts out - is really useful but if you don't have a tape doing it for you - I do - it's hard to do on your own. Mine is called Indigo Dreams and it has some really excellent mediations on it.

Take care of yourself!

edit spelling...

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 5:16:30 PM PDT
Bagslady says:
@Terry....I just use a few. I buy the cheap ones in the cellophane packs. They're often in the Hispanic food section. I just scatter them on the shelves. When I had access to the real deal....California Bay Laurel...I'd break off a small branch and put that in the pantry. One thing is that when you open a cupboard you get that nice smell.

Not sure what deters the bugs but when we had the wild bay laurels, they propagated like weeds. When you went to pull them up they literally attacked you with their odor. They fight back. It was headache inducing.

Posted on May 16, 2012 5:30:50 PM PDT
Here are a couple of yellow banners for me. Yay In case you missed them the last time around.

Death On A High Floor: A Legal ThrillerWhen the much-despised Marbury Marfan senior partner Simon Rafer turns up dead, with an ornate dagger buried between his shoulder blades, it comes as a surprise to no one. Simon was an abusive boss and had recently been on the warpath, clearing the "dead wood" from the legal firm he treated as his personal fiefdom. Nearly a thousand attorneys and associates, scattered across four continents, had good reason to want Rafer dead, but homicide Detective Spritz has his eye trained on Marbury Marfan partner Robert Tarza, in particular. Tarza and his friend and colleague---and maybe a bit more---Jenna are soon forced to play detective themselves, in a race to find the real killer or killers before Spritz finishes assembling a collection of evidence that will make a very credible case against Tarza.

Two Graves (A Kesle City Homicide Novel)He was bullied all his life. But now he has killed. Now he is getting even and
everyone is a target.

But with Lieutenant Gregg Mann's task force looking for him, he should have remembered the Chinese proverb, "Before you set out on a journey
of revenge, dig Two Graves."

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 5:33:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2012 5:51:12 PM PDT
TerryInTexas says:
@Smurphy
several folks mentioned going horizontal in passing,so it isn't just me. over the counter, or my big drug (Amerge/narotriptan), I need to take it and get horizontal for 30 minutes to an hour for things to really work. Drugs only, might work but will take several hours.

@BMW - Thanks for chiming in,ibuprofen was my drug of choice for the twenty years before I found out they were migraines - they knocked me out, which was its own relief, but didn't interrupt the cycle. 3 days horizontal, per side of head. But glad they work for you, and you've given another option for someone else to try. Please drop in more often!

And, for the book portion of the program, I read The Haight NOT FREE NOW. Fiction, San Francisco, 1960's Like another I read earlier this week, this is more like "a chapter in the life" (or lives, in this case) with beginnings and endings than an enclosed story. Told from the perspective of a nurse working in the Haight-Ashbury Free Clinic, and sharing an old Victorian with 5 others, the story is really about change and growth - "finding yourself", as it may. It has some repetitive moments, and what little 60's slang is used seems awkward in the dialog, but I did enjoy the story and become vested in the outcome. Full review to go up shortly, if Amazon is ok with it.

Posted on May 16, 2012 5:35:20 PM PDT
Mieko* says:
Terry I am so sorry you are going through this. I hope it doesn't last long.

Micki
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  69
Total posts:  284
Initial post:  May 16, 2012
Latest post:  May 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions