Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Regrets on buying Kindle Fire? Suggestions for the next model??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 464 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 4:20:33 PM PST
Sue Harke says:
If you listen with a pair of headphones instead of the speakers, I suggest adding a volume contol adapter between the headphone plug and the Kindle Fire headphone connection.

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 4:39:08 PM PST
Jaydee says:
3 Huge things, that I mentioned when Amazon called me about my bad feedback.
(This is aside from the obvious Volume,Carousel, fixing the incredibly frustrating inability to alter Font sizes and not being able to delete preloads)

#1 Direct load to the Kindle of stuff HAS to happen. I can't use Wifi all the time, and I get really tired of being forced to try and load things like movies from Unbox via Wifi,content from Audible or other stuff.

#2 More memory both in Ram and Hard drive space. Either a SD/Micro SD card card or bigger internal memory. I have 900 GB of Music 700GB of Movies and 400GB of Audiobooks. Again, Using Wifi to access Cloud is nice, but if I am in a Car, or somebody is on a Bus or away from Wifi what good is having 500gb of stuff on Cloud you cant access?

#3 is of course, 3G.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 4:45:25 PM PST
Sue Harke says:
Great suggestion! Worked well for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 6:57:44 PM PST
M. D. Fuquea says:
After reading all these posts from those who are having problems or just not satisfied with Fire, I think I will wait until next year for an updated model to see if all the issues people are having was corrected. I might just go buy an Ipad 2.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 8:02:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2011 8:25:02 PM PST
Make sure you are using the correct type of security to match your wireless router.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 8:03:41 PM PST
No camera.

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 8:11:18 PM PST
JB says:
Why can't we organize bookmarks into folders. That's very annoying.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 8:13:06 PM PST
I think you need a new router. They seem to get lazy in a few years for some reason even if they seem to be working. I had the same problem way pre Kindle Fire and I just got a new wireless router. That fixed everything for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 8:17:42 PM PST
Set your Kindle to allow installation of applications under
settings
device.
Go to dropbox.com in the browser.
Download and install.
Log on to your account.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 8:37:02 PM PST
desertwillow says:
If the problem is not being able to sync with your account, I went through this after the update was interrupted. I side-loaded the update and eventually just reset to factory settings, re-registered and all my books showed up. Hope this helps you or someone else.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 10:23:43 PM PST
Binx says:
I would suggest before getting a new router, going on the router company's website and downloading their updates. They get 'lazy' because they need software updates just like everything else, but these updates usually aren't automatically done. I found this out last year when my router wasn't working. It's just a possibility, might help to save some money.

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 10:42:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2011 10:44:34 PM PST
We need folders, folders, and more folders...in most applications. Having long lists of items is extremely useless and time consuming.

And books should be displayed under Books, period. If we load our own books, they are now displayed under Documents.

And Carousel needs to change drastically. It should only display apps that are currently open and running, and give you the ability to close down an app. If you want to keep books and documents in the Carousel even if they are not open, that is OK, but most apps don't need that treatment. Having to do a hard shutdown to close apps en-masse is a pain.

And that power button on the bottom....

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 10:50:37 PM PST
bookaholic says:
My comment may not be appreciated but I would suggest looking at the Nook Tablet. I just got mine 2 days ago and love it! It does have volume control and you can enlarge parts of the screen just like an iPod. Plus it has way more storage and I don't need ads all the time. I do buy from Amazon and I know where to find them when I need to. I know the Nook costs a little extra but I think it's well worth it. Since the Fire came out I have seen MANY problem posts here - not so much with the Nook Tablet. Just my 2 cents worth.

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 11:11:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2011 12:26:46 AM PST
I like the versatility of text to speech when I am working, you guys should some how update this, asap. Also you all should create some kind of protective cover for people who use braille.

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 11:57:29 PM PST
H. Chen says:
i like the fire,only thing i want is i can input chinese

Posted on Nov 20, 2011 12:06:20 AM PST
R. Vasquez says:
I'm sure it has mentioned many times but an SD slot would be nice. Also more supported video formats would nice as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 3:32:15 AM PST
Eye Rony says:
Hence the price

Posted on Nov 20, 2011 3:40:04 AM PST
J. Mcdougal says:
I like the fire except for the terrible battery life and the web browser.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 4:02:21 AM PST
M. McCoy says:
Satellite Internet is another option. Actually the only broadband option left if you don't have access to 3G, cable or DSL.

I didn't mention it since it's even more expensive than 3G (at least where I am).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 4:08:54 AM PST
@J. Mcdougal: The Fire's battery life is about average for a small tablet. My 10" Toshiba tablet gets about 6-8 hours of mixed media operation.

Some people have installed other browsers with good results.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 9:39:57 AM PST
JB says:
You can enlarge parts of the screen on the Kindle Fire too. Whoever said otherwise was misinformed. The only time you can't is on certain mobile websites, which is no different that on the iPod/Nook/etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 9:42:51 AM PST
Atavachron says:
You can change the Fire's email address from Manage Your Kindle -> Personal Documents Settings.

You can change the Fire's name from Manage Your Kindle -> Manage Your Devices.

Posted on Nov 20, 2011 11:57:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2011 11:59:07 AM PST
I am a big Andriod User and have rooted phones and kept some stock. I am still rocking my fire stock as for the price point, it does everything just fine. Yeah the carousal thing is a little annoying, but you can delete certain things.

I seem to be lucky or just know my way around technical stuff more than others as I haven't had anywhere near the problems or concerns that some of ya had.

Yeah it would be nice to have more external memory, or bigger RAM, or a camera, or this and that. If they had all these things, the KF wouldn't be anywhere near 200 dollars.

So glad my KF works as advertised.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 12:00:33 PM PST
Bjeans says:
Gee. Rational, logical, to the point, pleasant. What's wrong with this picture?

: )

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2011 6:13:54 PM PST
salsaguy says:
I ended up having to get a WiFi Extender due to my very weak Wifi Signal even in the next room from my DSL router! Fire never got more than 2 or 3 bars and dropped a lot.
Now I have 3-4 bars all the time and no drops.

Check out the Netgear WN2000RPT
Simple enough to set up and works like charm

Before this I was hating my Fire but it wasnt the devices fault but my own WiFi issues

Check your WiFi signal on the Fire by getting a copy of the cool app: WiFi Analyzer for FREE
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Now Live - Join the Kindle Discussion Session
1347 6 hours ago
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
FREE Books and Chat - July 2016 587 35 minutes ago
July 2016 Informal Poll -- What are you reading? 137 36 minutes ago
My fire won't turn on 28 49 minutes ago
How do I change back to English language? 225 51 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 7954 53 minutes ago
new Kindle's music section problem 1 2 hours ago
2015 Fire unable to see books on SD after factory reset 13 2 hours ago
If I really enjoyed Devil in the White City by Erik Larson, what books would you recommend that are similar? 29 2 hours ago
Kindle Fire + Google Play? 295 3 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  268
Total posts:  464
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 32 customers

Search Customer Discussions