Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Melvins The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Why isn't "To Kill a Mockingbird" available on the Kindle?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 37 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 10, 2010 11:02:45 AM PDT
Anne C. Linn says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 10, 2010 11:05:28 AM PDT
Harper Lee hasn't authorized the release for an ebook version - similar to J.K. Rowling.

Posted on Jul 10, 2010 11:05:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 10, 2010 11:06:06 AM PDT
Darren says:
I thought books only went out of copyright 50 years after the authors death. As Harper Lee is still alive and well, the book is still covered under copyright. As to why it's not available for a price in ebook format, I've no idea why HL doesn't want it to be.

Posted on Jul 10, 2010 11:11:29 AM PDT
PF says:
Harper Lee does not like to talk about her book even after 50 years. It's unlikely she'd ever tolerate a conversation about ebook rights.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1289793/Dont-mention-mockingbird-Meet-Harper-
Lee-reclusive-novelist-wrote-classic-novel-mesmerised-40-million-readers.html#ixzz0sBQV4Qmz

Posted on Jul 10, 2010 12:37:51 PM PDT
It's out there in the wild, but not legitimately. I would glad pay $15 for a Kindle version. I already own 3-4 copies of the book in hard back & paperback version.

The reluctance of authors to publish to e-book just fosters pirating and "illegal" copies IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2010 12:43:01 PM PDT
>The reluctance of authors to publish to e-book just fosters pirating and "illegal" copies IMO.

I don't think that applies to Harper Lee any more than it did to J. D. Salinger. Nor Rowling. Nor any other author who Makes A Decision About Their Own Property. Thangewverymuch.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2010 12:53:57 PM PDT
Thanks for sharing that PF. That was a very interesting article on Ms. Lee. I had never read any of this info on her before, and it's explains a lot.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2010 6:43:06 PM PDT
TuxGirl says:
Depends on where you live. In the US, books written before 1923 are in public domain. Books written after 1923 and before 1960-something (I think -- not sure on what year) are in the public domain if the copyright was not renewed, and in copyright if it was. Books written after 1960-something are enter public domain 70 years after the author's death, or 90 years after publication if the book was written for a corporation.

If I have any numbers wrong, I'd appreciate someone correcting them :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 4:49:15 PM PDT
Jann says:
I don't understand...Harry Potter is on ebook.

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 4:54:17 PM PDT
Mary Ellen says:
JK Rowlings has authorized the release of her Harry Potter books as e-books. Harper Lee won't even talk about her book at all. From what I've read, she's a technophobe so she's unlikely to ever release the book as an e-book. One can hope that her heirs will have the freedom to do so at some point.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 4:54:17 PM PDT
Bufo Calvin says:
Jann, the last post prior to yours was made on July 10th of 2010...about two years ago. Harry Potter was not legally available as an e-book at that time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 4:54:32 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Pssst....this thread is almost 2 years old.

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 4:55:16 PM PDT
Zombie alert. This thread is 2 years old!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 5:18:38 PM PDT
You're replying to a thread from 2010. When the post was made, the information was relevant.

Posted on Jun 15, 2013 8:12:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2013 8:13:29 AM PDT
L. Rayner says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2013 8:33:02 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
More importantly, why do people resurrect 3 year old threads?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2013 8:40:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2013 8:44:43 AM PDT
Loz says:
What's your point? It is widely known that Harper Lee does not want the book in electronic form. It's got nothing to do with trees. Besides, the majority of the copies of the book theses days would be second hand...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2013 8:43:58 AM PDT
Did you know paper is America's number one export?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2013 8:48:44 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Pssst....this thread is 3 years old....

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2013 8:49:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2013 8:49:56 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
And our number one import are illegal aliens......

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2013 8:55:03 AM PDT
Anne Shirley says:
And, actually, there is recent evidence that she may not be opposed. She is suing to regain her publishing rights, lost during an illness, and e-books have been mentioned. So at this point it may not be her issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2013 8:57:46 AM PDT
Loz says:
Ahh ok, I didn't know about that. I think it would be great if it was released in e form. Would open it up to a lot more sales I think. But if it doesn't happen, I'm fine with that too. I kept my paperback copy of it when I got my kindle. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2013 9:07:52 AM PDT
Anne Shirley says:
I have a tattered copy, and periodically re-watch the brilliant film. It doesn't seem, from what I've read recently, that Harper Lee is as adamantly opposed to e-books as Ray Bradbury was.

Posted on Jun 15, 2013 12:12:22 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
If you have a flatbed scanner just buy a used copy of the book and cut the pages out. Scan the pages using OCR software and fix any mistakes you find as you go along. It is time consuming but just do a little at a time and in no time you will have an electronic copy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2013 3:48:55 PM PDT
Loz says:
I've not seen the film for ages! Might have to rectify that. :)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  37
Initial post:  Jul 10, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions