Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Tired of Pop Ups and other junk from Amazon

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 19, 2014 2:02:35 PM PDT
Avid Reader says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2014 2:04:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2014 2:08:36 PM PDT
Arual says:
Hi Avid,

I get recommended books and things, but I don't get any pop-ups or surveys. You could try going into "Your Account" and changing the settings (especially "Personalization"). That would probably get rid of a lot of those annoying things.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2014 2:05:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2014 2:13:55 PM PDT
CatChat says:
Nobody here can "cut it out". We are all customers just like yourself.

ETA: if you are using an Amazon device and get "special offers" you can pay to not receivve them anymore. If you are complaining about emails, you can change most of those options in your account settings. If you're getting pop-ups with ads and/or surveys, those are NOT from Amazon. Check any recently downloaded stuff (i.e. toolbars on a pc/laptop, apps on kindles, etc).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2014 2:07:13 PM PDT
 Ann says:
If you're getting popups when browsing the Amazon site, you've probably downloaded something that has installed adware on your computer. If you've installed toolbars or add-ons in your browser, uninstall them and see if the problem goes away. You might also try using a different browser.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2014 2:07:15 PM PDT
flipoid says:
If you're talking about pop-ups on a Kindle Fire, they could be because of an app you installed. Are you talking about pop-ups on the actual Amazon website? I never get a pop-up or a survey when I'm on the Amazon site. Ads on the sides of the page sometimes, yes, but I just ignore them.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2014 2:07:59 PM PDT
Artist says:
Those are not from Amazon. You have malware on your computer. Find a malware detection program and scan your computer.

I got that same malware along with a free font that I downloaded from a site. You could have downloaded it from numerous places on the net.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2014 3:35:47 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
What Pop Ups?? Sounds like you have malware.

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 3:40:23 PM PDT
Carbonbased says:
Maybe Avid is talking about the dropdown menus across the top of every Amazon webpage...when he/she cruises the mouse across the banner.
Of course, there are no trackers and there's another identical thread, so we're probably just talking to each other.

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 3:57:33 PM PDT
JoshuaJohn says:
I'm tired of: police stopping me for throwing beer cans out the window, game wardens measuring my under size fish, people saying hi when I'm not in the mood, the grass growing so I have to mow it, people in general, geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I'm jus tired. LOL,
:)(:.

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 4:05:53 PM PDT
Dittie says:
The expression "really pissing me off" is really pissing me off.

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 4:26:27 PM PDT
Can someone recommend a good free Anti-Malware thing, until I can afford to pay for one? I'd greatly appreciate it!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2014 4:29:07 PM PDT
"... people saying hi when I'm not in the mood..."

I *hate* that!!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2014 4:56:22 PM PDT
I use Avast.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2014 5:20:06 PM PDT
Thanks isanythingopen. =)

Posted on Jun 21, 2014 7:02:35 AM PDT
I keep getting this annoying pop-up suggesting I update, which I don't need
and don't want. I've tried uninstalling everything that resembles this, but
can't get rid of it. Suggestions?

http://lp.getfree-soft.net/mpc________/?o=42&campid=14406&creaid=5552&reqid=530707278

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2014 7:29:47 AM PDT
You have malware. Consult a pc geek service.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2014 7:47:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2014 7:51:14 AM PDT
There's no reason to pay for a malware/adware app or program. There are many free versions that are as good or better than the paid ones.

I use the free version of TrustGo Mobile Security on my android tablet and am very satisfied with it but don't know if it's compatible with the Fire. If not, there are plenty of others: Antivirus and Mobile Security

On my PC I do use a paid security suite from Advanced System Care, but they offer a free version as well, although it has more limited features: http://www.iobit.com/advanced-systemcare-antivirus.php

I use the pro version which costs $30 a year and can be installed on three computers, so the effective cost is only $10 per computer.

Here's a recent article from PC Magazine that discusses many of the best free anti-virus and security programs. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2388652,00.asp

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 21, 2014 8:59:37 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I don't use any anti-virus at all on my computers so I don't have to pay anything. ☺

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2014 8:43:06 PM PDT
PS56k says:
guessing you are referring to your web browser on your PC -
well... it's NOT Amazon - it's probably all the FREE things you have downloaded to your PC...

people download "stuff" all the time, and don't read the screens to realize they are also getting:
- home page changed, new search engine, ads for security, ads for cleaning disk, ads for....
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Thank you for your support of Amazon Discussion Forums. Due to the changing needs of Amazon Forums, we have decided to stop supporting the ‘Active discussions in related forums’ feature in order to focus on providing the most value for our customers.  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Mar 19, 2014
Latest post:  Jun 22, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions