Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Adobe Digital Edition and Library Lending

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 7, 2011 8:32:54 AM PST
Surveyah says:
I recently started using my local library online to borrow books, and everything is working fine as long as i find Kindle-formatted ebooks.

I recently downloaded an ebook only available in PDF. The file extension was ACSM and I had to download it using Adobe Digital Edition. The file downloaded fine, and i saw the PDF edition of the ebook in my files.

I opened Calibre, added the book to my Kindle, and when i tried to open it, I got the message:

"The PDF cannot be opened due to embedded features not yet supported by Kindle"

So I guess that if you receive any lending books from your library that require using Adobe Digital Edition to retrieve and convert your PDF file, its not going to work on your Kindle.

BTW......when i selected the book on the library website, it DID give me an option for Kindle format.......and this is what i got.

Anyone else experience this?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 8:34:19 AM PST
Miss Carol says:
Unless it's a kindle version, you have to read the other library books on your computer or another ereader.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 9:42:36 AM PST
Surveyah says:
"Unless it's a kindle version, you have to read the other library books on your computer or another ereader."

I am not sure that is true because i can read other PDF files on it......just wondering what features are embedded by ADE that causes it not to be able to be opened on my Kindle PDF reader.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 9:45:37 AM PST
Becky (NOLA) says:
It might have been DRM protected, basically what kindle uses so you can't convert their books to epub, or B&N uses so you can't convert their books to .mobi.

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 9:46:23 AM PST
ADE books require the readers PID (personal identification number) in order to access the file. While this is available for kindles, it is not easy to obtain and so you can't access the file

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 9:59:48 AM PST
Surveyah says:
The strange thing is that I selected the Kindle format version, and what i got was the ADE version......maybe a bad link on the library website i guess....

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 12:06:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2011 12:07:31 PM PST
art says:
There is an ebook reader for Android called aldiko that supposedly supports Adobe DRM. It's in the amazon appstore but marked as not compatible with the Fire. It's in the Android Market and the market says it's compatible, so you should be ok downloading it directly from www.aldiko.com.

Now, you should be able to put the .acsm file on your Fire and open it with Aldiko, which will download and authorize the pdf file, according to this: http://aldiko.zendesk.com/entries/372820-read-ebooks-from-public-libraries.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2011 1:35:55 PM PST
Surveyah says:
Thanks art..ill check it out though i doubt i will borrow ADE format again lol

Posted on Dec 7, 2011 1:44:09 PM PST
When you get the acsm file-- that's a download manager not a book.

Open the book in Adobe Digital Editions on the computer (this downloads it), and with your Kindle hooked up via usb. Then when you see a little Kindle icon on the left-hand column, you can drag the book onto the Kindle icon. Voila book.

I opened it with Aldiko. I downloaded from their own site, but I suppose you can get it several places. In Aldiko, you have to tap the little HOME icon on THEIR screen, not the Fire one. Ask it to look in your SD card (that's what Kindle storage is to it). Then the book will appear on the books shelf.

There might be a way to get it directly to the Fire, but I couldn't find it. I read all of Overdrive's help files and nothing made sense except the above.

If you don't see the little Kindle icon, I know somewhere in all my reading I found a link to register my Kindle Fire as an authorized device. Sorry, but I don't remember where. Maybe you can do it from ADE on the computer.

Posted on May 31, 2012 9:55:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2012 8:27:25 AM PDT
Mac says:
A book I wanted from my library wasn't available in a Kindle edition, so I ran into the same problem.

I just found this useful guide to installing and using Aldiko to open acsm format books on a Kindle Fire: http://support.ebrary.com/en/1145 (It refers to the same link art posted, but also has full instructions.)

I'm almost through it and everything has been successful so far. But I don't have my Kindle USB cable here with me at work so I can't take the final step yet. Will post an update if the directions need any further clarification.

Quick update: It worked. Once I plugged in my Kindle, a Kindle icon appeared in the window of Adobe Digital Editions, and I was able to just drag the book to the Kindle icon, and BAM - done.

Note: If you've never plugged in your Kindle via USB before, make sure that the Kindle is ON before you plug it in, otherwise you may get error messages about a missing device driver.

Happy reading!

Posted on Aug 8, 2012 12:50:40 PM PDT
I tried the above and nothing worked. I purchased an ez Reader from Amazon and downloaded the app and have no clue as to how to convert my ePub book to a readable file on my Kindle Fire. Any help is appreciated

Thanks in advance

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 5:16:10 PM PDT
Sin Ying Ho says:
just open Adobe Digital Editions, right click on the book and click on 'open file in explorer', the epub/kindle version will be there and you can email or usb it to the kindle. might still need to convert to a kindle version via calibre.

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 9:51:04 AM PDT
Alison says:
I don't have a Fire or a tablet, so when a library ebook is available only as epub, I use a borrowed Nook. It's easy enough to transfer it via Adobe Digital Editions if you follow the instructions (usually found on the library website.) You can't as far as I know convert a library epub (except maybe Open Epub? this is a format for some books).

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 10:24:48 AM PDT
Thanks for your comments. I have loaded Calibre on my computer but had trouble downloading the book. My two weeks expired with the book so I never got it downloaded. I did another that was for KIndle and had no problem

Thanks to all who have helped me in this area. I am good to go now

Thanks again
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and $79 Kindle
0 11 days ago
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 1127 53 seconds ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Home of Manic Gardens, Roof Possums, Goat Spanx, Flailing Yahoos and So Geese! And Cherie! 1642 1 minute ago
does kindle voyage have text-to-speech? 2 1 minute ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 6637 2 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat (FB&C) Tues/Wed, 25 & 26 November 2014 27 2 minutes ago
Paperwhite - Troublesome page turns 65 2 minutes ago
When will the Kindle Voyage be available in Australia? 3 9 minutes ago
Kindle Voyage - Documented Issues 176 10 minutes ago
Kindle Fire Tips: Getting Started 2 5170 10 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Dec 7, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions