Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

RAOK 61 Just as good!

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 21, 2013 4:37:01 PM PDT
MB says:
When Virgoddess decided, almost two years ago now, that she was having a bad day and was going to cheer herself up by being nice to someone and gifting them a book as a surprise, she never dreamed that she had created a monster. But here we are... 61 rooms' later, with our own customs and traditions; a group of people that have established inside jokes and firm friendships, and we can anticipate more to come, I'm sure.

If you have time stop by and chat, share books, love, laughter, happiness, sadness or just want to post a random thought of the day.

Now, down to business... the usual warnings, tips and tricks:

What does RAoK mean? I'm glad you asked! It stands for "Random Acts of Kindness". We try to keep Kindness (with a capital K) as our motto. We welcome all newcomers and you will find that we discuss anything and (nearly) everything. This is a supportive group and we welcome chat but insist that it remain civil and as polite as possible.

To participate, you don't have to do a thing (except make sure your wish list is public!) You are under no obligation to buy anyone anything. If you receive a book, it's nice to say thank you here and include a link to the book (it's our best source of reading ideas!) This isn't about repaying, or anything like that. It's about giving - a shoulder, a book, a smile.

To send a book, simply click on the username here in the forum of the person you want to gift to. Scroll down, and you will hopefully see their wish list. Click on "see all x items" to pull up their entire list (do NOT click a book jacket from their profile page). You will see a yellow button, under the title saying "give as a gift" and click that. It will take you to the message screen, where you can change the "from" name, and add a note. Their email address will be "hidden" for privacy, but it will be sent to them.

To make your wish list public, pull up the list and there is a quick link on the upper right of every page, titled "Wish List" directly under the "Your Account" link. Click that. It will take you to your wish list. Directly under the title of your wish list, you will see a drop down menu, titled "Manage this list". Click that, and in the drop down, click "Change Privacy Settings" and make sure it says "Make list public".

SAFETY TIPS and INFORMATION: Follow the above instructions to get to your wish list. Again, click the "Manage this list" drop down menu. This time, select "Edit Settings" and this will bring you to a screen that shows your privacy settings. The name you see on the Name line is the name that is shown to people you GIFT books to. Simply change it to the name you're comfortable with and save. This will prevent your full name from being displayed on your gifts.

To make your wish list visible from your profile, you have to go into your profile and edit it. You need to change the middle section (wish list and registries) to show everyone. If you have that set to private but your wish list public, others can find your wish list through the search, but not your profile. If you change that wish list setting on your profile to everyone, you'll be good to go. That just makes the list visible from the profile, it doesn't change any other privacy settings you have.

To change your Account Name, you have to go to Your Account in the upper right corner then Change Account Settings and edit your name. This won't affect anything that I can see except what it shows at the top of the page when it says "Hi Cyndie" instead of "Hi Cyndie MyLastName". And all people will see on their Digital Orders that send me any gifts is Cyndie, not Cyndie MyLastName." (this last one is important, since it doesn't change anything in YOUR view, lots of people end up having their real names showing on their WL instead of their screen names. Also, you need to make that change separately for EACH public wish list.) It sounds complicated, but it really isn't, and it's well worth a few minutes' work.

Finally, always remember RAOK's don't have to be books. They can be anything you do here or off the forum in your actual lives to do something nice for someone. No one is "keeping score" either. If someone does something nice for you, just find a way to pass it on.

Posted on May 21, 2013 4:37:32 PM PDT
MB says:
Sorry... Copied and pasted and created on the fly...

Posted on May 21, 2013 4:39:46 PM PDT
Grl says:
Good Job MB

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2013 4:41:56 PM PDT
MB says:
Thanks... I just wanted to make sure we had a new home!

Posted on May 21, 2013 4:42:20 PM PDT
Thanks, MB! I just looked at the old room and it was scary that no one had planned on the next room with a little lead time. But you stepped up to bat for us. Whew! ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2013 4:42:45 PM PDT
Patti (PBP) says:
I was wondering where everyone went, no one left a trail to follow. Glad you opened it MB...

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2013 4:43:11 PM PDT
Chloe says:
Good job, MB! I saw Pipe fading us out :)

Listening to the news of Random Acts of Kindness after this devastating Oklahoma tornado. Stay safe, everyone!

Posted on May 21, 2013 4:43:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2013 4:44:08 PM PDT
Thank you, MB! Pipey drove us here, but then, didn't appoint a designated driver to take us on! Thanks so much - and now - forward we travel, together. If you are just peeking in, you are now looking at the most amazing Room full of people that will brighten your days, bless you when needed, and teach us so many different lessons. Welcome all!

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2013 4:43:23 PM PDT
MB says:
I realized that! Sorry it was not better...

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2013 4:43:26 PM PDT
Patti (PBP) says:
At first I thought since Pipe closed that he would open too...

Posted on May 21, 2013 4:44:15 PM PDT
Loz says:
I was wondering who was going to do the new room! Nice job MB. :)

Posted on May 21, 2013 4:44:21 PM PDT
melly says:
Hi all! Happy last day of school eve :) how is everyone?

Posted on May 21, 2013 4:44:47 PM PDT
MB says:
*slides out party food and various drinks* welcome home everyone!

Posted on May 21, 2013 4:44:51 PM PDT
Chloe says:
Hi, Golden, SEP, Patti. I like the beginning of a new room. I can at least keep up with three or four posts :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2013 4:45:08 PM PDT
Grl says:
MB we just appreciate that you stepped up to the plate. I am not the best writer and appreciate that you opened us up!

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2013 4:45:17 PM PDT
MB says:
Yeah!

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2013 4:45:23 PM PDT
Grl says:
Last day of school?

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2013 4:45:55 PM PDT
Grl says:
Chloe me too, but it will get crazy in a bit!! I have a hard time keeping up as well!

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2013 4:45:58 PM PDT
Hey, Melly! 5 1/2 more days of school (and 67-9 year olds don't forget for a second :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2013 4:46:04 PM PDT
Chloe says:
Hello, Word! Great post!

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2013 4:47:06 PM PDT
Chloe says:
Good Evening/Afternoon, Loz!

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2013 4:48:03 PM PDT
Loz says:
Hi Chloe, how are you? :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2013 4:48:35 PM PDT
Chloe says:
Melly! Hangin'; hope you are doing well and are excited about 'school's out'.

Posted on May 21, 2013 4:48:58 PM PDT
Grl says:
Well the other day was my KFHD acting up and now my cell phone will not hold a charge. Yesterday my BFF called me and I had not used it all day and went to answer and it was almost dead after 2 hours on a full charge! She had an emergency with her kitty and needed my advice. My home phone batteries are dead and I was waiting for replacement batteries to come in and they got here just in the nick of time! I would have been phone less with a teenager driving. I like to know where he is at all times. He texts me when he gets to school and before he leaves, so I know he is safe.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2013 4:49:46 PM PDT
Grl says:
We have almost 2 more weeks of school left and then I will have two in high school! Yikes.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 400 Next ›
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Anyone get this email about a new (major) software update for Paperwhites? 10 55 seconds ago
Deregistering a Kindle without losing books bought 63 1 minute ago
Kindle / Audible Recommendations and Deals (KARD) 2954 3 minutes ago
PW / Voyage 5.7.2.1 Available 7 4 minutes ago
Can I listen to audiobooks on a Kindle Paperwhite? 61 12 minutes ago
FB&C Book Discussion - The Criers Club - February 11, 2016 48 19 minutes ago
How do I get out of "Fastboot" Mode... 162 19 minutes ago
important update required for your Kindle e-reader 22 27 minutes ago
Books 5 29 minutes ago
Kindle highlight issue with new Ios 38 35 minutes ago
Error loading book Store on Kindle fire 30 37 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  55
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  May 21, 2013
Latest post:  Jun 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions