Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

The September 2012 Informal Poll - What are YOU Reading on Your Kindle?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 581 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 1, 2012 12:03:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 1, 2012 12:32:39 PM PDT
CLS10 says:
Copy and pasted from MG's opening post in a previous poll thread:

Time for the monthly poll!

I've received several great tips on past monthly polls with what others are reading on their Kindle! While I have certainly enjoyed the "mainstream" author suggestions over the past year, I've also enjoyed a lot of independent authors identified in each month's poll I never would have heard of previously.

Here's how this works - list a book you are currently reading or just recently read on your Kindle (insert the product link using the little button above the text box so others can find it), whether you would recommend it, did you get it free, and anything else you would care to share.

And here's my standard continuation of each month's request for prior participants in the poll: if you like or dislike a title you have read, in addition to telling us about it in this informal poll, how about writing a book review on the Amazon website? The review will certainly last and be visible a lot longer than this poll will. If you're like me, you look at the customer reviews in order to see if you want to investigate a book further. Since we are all a little community here, and while I realize each review is each person's opinion and we may not like the same thing, I know your friends and online discussion neighbors would appreciate your honest assessment of the likes and dislikes without providing a spoiler - I know I would!

So, what are you reading on your kindle?

I'm reading three books now:

Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power (a library loan), Defending Jacob: A Novel (another loan)and Shadow of Night: A Novel (my book). While Drift is great (and I'm a big Maddow fan--her level of intelligence is off the wall), nonfiction always leads to slow reading for me (I'm only 27% in). But, if I read one chapter a day for the remaining chapters, I'll finish before it expires.

Excited to really get into Shadow of Night. I loved A Discovery of Witchesm so I hope this is good too.

As for Defending Jacob... I'm not too sure about this book. Parents in denial annoy me.

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 12:30:19 PM PDT
I'm reading another great book from Louise Penny, The Beautiful Mystery: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel.

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 12:50:14 PM PDT
I am almost finished with Boy's Life which I love and I'm listening to The Spy Lover from Audible. In fact I think I'm going to quit working for now and go read on the porch.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2012 12:51:21 PM PDT
<<Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power (a library loan)>>

I thought that was a great book but like you, it took me a long time to read it.

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 1:33:16 PM PDT
Denni says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2012 1:35:23 PM PDT
CLS10 says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 1:38:40 PM PDT
AuntOh says:
I've just started reading The Keeper of Lost Causes: A Department Q Novel and am enjoying it so far. I have high hopes, since everyone who participates on the monthly threads liked it so much. :)

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 1:51:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 1, 2012 1:54:08 PM PDT
Sue says:
I just finished Witch Song and it was a very good book. Now I am reading Witch Born (Witch Song) again another great book. I am about 1/2 done reading that book. Not sure what I will be reading after I am done with Witch Born.

I am off of work for another 2 weeks so I have plenty of time to read. I am on my third book already.

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 2:18:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 1, 2012 2:18:50 PM PDT
Gomb says:

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 3:29:01 PM PDT
I posted the attached Thank You to Peenut late last evening (Aug. 31) and want to make sure she has the opportunity to read how thrilled I was to check my email after all of my students left yesterday...and discovered an unexpected gift! How cool is that? Please allow the repost: Peenut! What an amazing surprise to arrive home late after a looong day only to discover you had gifted me one of my Wish List books! How awesome is that! Thank you so very much!!! Kindlelers are just the best and this was certainly a totally unexpected, but wonderful beginning to a long weekend! I hope your own upcoming weekend promises to be fantastic, Peenut! Again, thank you!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2012 3:33:32 PM PDT
I loved Shadow of Night, and thought it was every bit as good at A Discovery of Witches. Hope you'll like it, too. I recently read Defending Jacob, and liked it very much, too. I understand your annoyance, but I think you'll find it's worth pushing through to finish the book.

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 3:48:27 PM PDT
DinDC says:
I read Shadow of Night: A Novel (All Souls Trilogy) in August and also loved it. I just finished In the Garden of Beasts: Love, Terror, and an American Family in Hitler's Berlin and would highly recommend it. The story is chilling. Just started Tess of the D'Urbervilles.

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 3:50:32 PM PDT
The Code Of The Woosters by P.G. Wodehouse.

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 3:57:36 PM PDT
lonbeehold says:
I am currently reading Breathing Lessons: A Novel. I am on a bit of an Anne Tyler kick. Just finished The Accidental Tourist: A Novel (Ballantine Reader's Circle) and also read her most recent, The Beginner's Goodbye. I also read and really enjoyed Gone Girl: A Novel. I downloaded it based on the July and August discussions here but liked it, including the ending, better than many.

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 4:10:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 1, 2012 4:11:15 PM PDT
KathyC says:
Three current reads: The God Delusion. It's from my library but if I don't finish it before it goes back, I'll get it from the KLL to finish. Also Anna Karenina (Oprah's Book Club) (Russian Classics) and Jane Eyre

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 4:11:31 PM PDT
Hi lonbeehold

The first 2 Anne Tyler you mentioned are 2 of my very favorites! I am currently reading Gone Girl: A Novel and liking it a lot, trying to prepare myself for possibly "no ending." Maybe I will like the ending like you did! Did you read the new thread, which discusses the ending? I bumped it once, but was careful not to read it. It's several pages back now.

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 4:46:13 PM PDT
L. Smith says:
Falsely Accused: Mike Tyson and the Rape Trial that Destroyed a Champion is one I just started this morning. I always beleived that he was wrongly convicted so when I saw this book I jumped on it to get another person's take on why he was convicted.

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 5:38:29 PM PDT
Mary McManus says:
On the discounted books thread, I discovered Dead Simple by Peter James. It is the first in a series of British police procedurals, a genre which I like a lot. Have not been able to put this down and did buy the 2nd in the series, those first 2 being $2.99. All of them are not available for Kindle so will be hitting the library for the missing ones. This is definitely a thriller and moves along at a good clip.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2012 7:27:26 PM PDT

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 7:36:19 PM PDT
Eileen says:
The House on Tradd Street

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2012 7:38:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 1, 2012 7:46:07 PM PDT
Suze, at the suggestion of someone on this thread, maybe you? I started the Gone Girl discussion. Immediately my initial post was downvoted something like 1-8 against. (How does that even work, that the person that starts the discussion isn't relevant to the discussion?) Then the people that like to argue started pouring out of the woodwork. I think everyone that liked the book, all three of them, maybe five, ganged up on me, I didn't care for the book, and after the first 10-15 posts I gave in and admitted I may have been a tad hasty in my judgement of the book...not, but once I gave in and played dead, the crowd(?) went away. A few people have since posted, and a couple actually said they didn't care for the book without getting lambasted the way I did, but I have decided to let the discussion die a natural death. Thanks anyway for the bump, but I think it's gonna take actual chest compressions to keep that one alive.
OT, not reading anything worth posting about right now.
Edited for clarity.

Posted on Sep 1, 2012 7:42:29 PM PDT
Susan Solin says:
Listening to Black Creek Crossing (Saul, John) in the car on the way to and from work. Typical John Saul, this guy sure knows how to write books with creepy children or kids in creepy settings. I read him all the time in my late teens and early 20's but once I had kids I put his books down. Picking one up now is like visiting an old friend.

At work I'm reading Dear Bob and Sue Volume One: Into the National Parks. This is a nice enjoyable book made up of e-mails. The couple writing the e-mails quit work and decided to visit 58 national parks. I enjoyed it enough that when I finished it today I went ahead and purchased the second book Dear Bob and Sue Volume Two: On the Road Again. After reading these I want to go visit all the national parks!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2012 7:46:28 PM PDT
lonbeehold says:
Suze, I'm enjoying Breathing Lessons. I really like AT's style and the themes she writes about. I did read thru the GG thread but since I seemed to be in the minority in terms of liking it, I didn't continue to follow. I have the author's previous two books on my list.

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 12:07:39 AM PDT
Finished Shadow of Night: A Novel this morning and am looking forward to #3 - I like the characters and the setting and world building and it was lovely to spend "time" with some of my favourite characters from Elizabethan England.

Started The Grave Gourmet (Capucine Culinary Mysteries) which I picked up as a freebie in June - it seems to have some things going for it (a pretty good knowledge of food, though perhaps not of three-star restaurants) but something about the writing is putting me off. I get the feeling the author, while writing in English, is trying to make us think the book is written in French - the sentence structure is complex and confusing and there are a lot of big words. Will see how far I get with it.

Posted on Sep 2, 2012 12:27:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 2, 2012 12:31:11 AM PDT
lesley9 says:
Dead Wrong - about a number of high profile deaths including Marilyn Monroe, JFK, Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King. Marilyn was definitely murdered via an anal enema of a massive amount of sedatives. She did or was having affairs with JFK, Robt Kennedy and two very highly placed Mafia men. There was about a 6 hour gap between her death and when it was reported by her physician and her psychiatrist. During the gap, her house was swept to remove bugs and personal items like her journal. Detailed autopsy reports show she had a lot of bruises on her left hip area, backs of her thighs, and that her body had been moved at least twice. James Earl Ray could not have possibly killed MLK due to the angle of the single shot to King's head. JFK was killed by an attempt done by a flurry of shots and the two most famous ones (to his throat and the head shot) came from the front and not the back. Lee Harvey Oswald was definitely a patsy and was, in fact, doing US miltary intelligence work. This book is very well researched and footnoted.

Pollyanna Grows Up also reading this although is miles away from the type of book above. But since I just read Pollyanna, I wanted to finish the series. Given the subject matter and that it is a children's book, I am finding it well written none the less.

This month I will need to start and finish my Sept lending library choice of War Brides .

Also am anxious to start the Pearl Buck trilogy that starts with The Good Earth: Good Earth Trilogy (Volume One). I've been waiting for her most famous books to finally get in Kindle format.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 24 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 5 days ago
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Classic Words Solo 247 2 minutes ago
RAOK # 80 - Acts of Kindness Are In the Pipeline™ 9385 7 minutes ago
Kindle Fire Tips: Getting Started 2 5417 7 minutes ago
Fire HDX 7 Update - 4.1.1 1297 10 minutes ago
Where are the Emoticons on the Kindle Fire HD 8.9" 41 11 minutes ago
GPS Locater, safety feature if lost in the woods, rescue thing. 0 12 minutes ago
Have a few questions??? 13 19 minutes ago
My kindle won't turn on 1968 21 minutes ago
Review Disapeared 2 29 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  146
Total posts:  581
Initial post:  Sep 1, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 1, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 20 customers

Search Customer Discussions