Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc blink-182 Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Wifi stopped working

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 17, 2012 3:52:56 PM PDT
GillianBC says:
Wifi has been just fine for last few months on my Kindle Touch. Tonight I switched it on and it detects 0 networks. I've tried Restart several times, I've tried the hard reboot (hold on button for 30 seconds). I've check my router. My laptop is detecting the wifi just fine. Any other things I can try?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2012 3:55:25 PM PDT
GillianBC - Try unplugging your wi-fi router for a minute or two and then plugging it back in. Then reboot your Kindle. Even if everything else is connecting properly sometimes unplugging your router makes it recognize the Kindle.

TO REBOOT YOUR E-INK KINDLE:
For Keyboard Kindle, Basic Kindle, Kindle Touch and Paperwhite:
Make sure it's fully charged. Unplug the Kindle.
Slide the power switch over (or press the power button) for 30 seconds (count them).
PUT IT DOWN AND DON'T TOUCH IT. It may take a few minutes to reboot.
Your books and Collections will repopulate.

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 4:11:21 PM PDT
Fud53 says:
You only have to unplug the router for a few seconds...not a minute or two.

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 4:27:33 PM PDT
GillianBC says:
Router rebooted and Kindle rebooted again as described above. It's still saying No WiFi networks were found. I'll take it into work tomorrow and see if it can detect one of our office WiFi networks (strong signals as I work in IT).

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 7:42:02 PM PDT
I'm having exactly the same problem with my Kindle 3. Going to other WiFi network areas (e.g., work) doesn't help. It still says there are 0 available WiFi networks, even when I am connected to WiFi on my laptop right next to it. I am also finding that my battery life has severely diminished, to the point that I have to charge it every other day. I have a lighted case, but haven't been using the light. Could the case itself be draining the battery? Would that have anything to do with the WiFi problem? I have only had this for ~2 years. I wonder if it's time for a new one.

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 5:34:26 AM PDT
GillianBC says:
I only bought my Touch at the end of July, so I will take it back to the retailer for a refund. I've tried it at work and still no WiFi. It is fully charged, but strangely, the clock is also now running slowly - I reset the time at about midnight last night and now, at 13:33 it thinks the time is 4am.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 5:47:27 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
If you bought the Kindle elsewhere you will probably have to contact Amazon for warranty service. Most places that sell the product will only give a refund within the first month or less.

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 12:46:49 PM PDT
GillianBC says:
I am very happy to say that the Kindle support team have fixed my issue. On the 'Chat' service, they told me to reset it to factory defaults. Menu ==> Settings. Menu ==> Reset Device. Select this option, wait a few seconds and it starts rebooting. This deletes all content and you have to set it up from scratch again, pick the language, view the user guide. As soon as it had finished all that, I selected Menu ==> Settings and it could then see my network. I had to select my router and put in the password again. I then had to re-register it to my amazon account. (I think the customer services guy did something so that it knew it was still 'Gillian's Kindle'). It then downloaded my items awaiting synch. I'll have to download all the other content from the archive, but I'm happy. Problem solved!

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 7:04:48 PM PDT
The same fix eventually worked for me. I had to talk to the customer service guy who led me through a few extra steps in order to reset my kindle, sincebasic reset didn't work for me, but that was the solution. He had me run some sort of diagnostics first (Alt QQ, I think), which told him that my Kindle no longer recognized its own WiFi receiver. Terrific customer service. I am so happy to have my Kindle back in working order!

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 12:21:20 AM PDT
GillianBC says:
Good news, Christine, glad it's been fixed too. Excellent service from Amazon again..

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 12:17:14 PM PST
ikhalil says:
I have the same problem but a while after the factory reset the problem returns

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 12:17:32 PM PST
ikhalil says:
I have the same problem but a while after the factory reset the problem returns

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 3:54:14 PM PST
GillianBC says:
Mine has been ok since. Have you contacted Amazon support?

Posted on Aug 26, 2014 3:02:31 PM PDT
does anybody have the number for Amazon support???

Posted on Sep 4, 2014 4:18:36 AM PDT
I had the same problem but Amazon only tried to do a basic reset and this didn't work they then tried to sell me a more expensive device.

this is the second kindle I have had and both have stopped working.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2014 6:56:08 AM PDT
Define "stopped working". Do they *lose* wi-fi spontaneously? Or can you not connect at all? What do you mean, specifically, by "stopped working"?

The reason I ask is this. It's often a problem with your wi-fi router, and Amazon can't help you with that. Read "John Painter"'s post here:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdMsgID=Mx238SH5XGLTMCB&cdMsgNo=383&cdPage=16&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx1OARIPKC3Q4A9#Mx238SH5XGLTMCB

Many have reported being able to correct their wi-fi problem after following his instructions.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2014 7:21:32 AM PDT
First one simply would not display anything second one 0 wifi networks detected

I am a cisco certified network engineer so when I say it's the kindle wifi I know what I am talking about (the device shows no Mac address for the wifi device which tells me the kindle cannot see it's own wifi and this is confirmed by the 0 networks discovered despite the fact I have 2 and can detect many many more)

As I said my frustration was caused because support tried a simple reset and when this failed they tried to sell me a more expensive device (the basic and PW were apparently not available but the more expensive models were despite the fact that one I put the phone down I went straight to amazon and I could see the basic were in stock.)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2014 7:59:17 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
The only Basic Kindles available are used. But what do I know I am not an engineer.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2014 1:50:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2014 2:46:21 AM PDT
http://www.amazon.co.uk/kindle-ereader-ebook-reader/dp/B007HCCOD0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1409906833&sr=8-6&keywords=kindle

Says in stock as it did last time I checked. But no need for the sarcasm i was simply trying to prevent the frustrating comments from amazon about have you tried turning it off and on again.

But yes it's obvious 'what you know'

Posted on Feb 22, 2016 6:04:49 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 22, 2016 6:06:09 PM PST
Lauren says:
My kindel shows my wifi and says it has saved the password but it will not connect to it thoughts?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 23, 2016 11:34:25 AM PST
GillianBC says:
You could try the fix that worked for me - scroll up to earlier in this post to see the steps.

Posted on Apr 7, 2016 2:39:14 AM PDT
My kindle says I have no wifi yet I have. I have unplugged my wifi again and the kindle does not allow me to shop in store button as it thinks I have no wi if plus my archive items have all gone

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2016 1:42:33 PM PDT
PStJTT says:
And you consider that a satisfactory solution? I'll be livid if that's what I have to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2016 1:48:31 PM PDT
J. Donahue says:
Nothing like responding to a post from 2012...

Still your anger young Jedi. I'm sure there's a newer faster way to fix the problem now.

Posted on May 14, 2016 7:05:24 PM PDT
Umm, so mine just stopped connecting to my wifi, it was fine for 6 months or so but suddenly it won't connect. My other devices can all see and connect to my wifi, nothing about the wifi changed since it worked, I tried rebooting and resetting both the modem and router.

Thoughts?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 6662 5 minutes ago
my singing monsters update 26 20 minutes ago
How to lend a kindle book? 11 25 minutes ago
How to use VUDU cloud movies on kindle fire HD 7 in 262 26 minutes ago
Kindle / Audible Recommendations and Deals (KARD) 3200 28 minutes ago
FREE Books and Chat - July 2016 44 28 minutes ago
Kindle Fire headphone jack doesn't work 29 59 minutes ago
USA resident but want to read Indian books in Kindle 3 1 hour ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 8822 1 hour ago
is it possible to download kindle books to an sd card 213 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Oct 17, 2012
Latest post:  May 14, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions