Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire Question

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 12, 2014 10:57:56 AM PDT
Please tell me if their is a product for the Kindle Fire that will make it a paper white. The glare on my kindle fire is terrible. I cannote find any product cover or anything about the problem

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2014 10:59:45 AM PDT
No, you can't change the screen. If you want a Paperwhite screen, you need to buy a Paperwhite.

LCD backlit screens are not good for use in the sun.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2014 11:06:49 AM PDT
Thanks for answering my question. However I have purchased a Paperwhite, but I did not research it enough. I did not realize that the Paperwhite is just for reading and does not have the other functions that the Kindle Fire has.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2014 11:39:04 AM PDT
Bufo Calvin says:
george, the difference in functionality is partially because of the same difference in the technology which affects use in bright light.

A Kindle Fire has a backlit screen: you read what is on the screen by light coming from behind the image. That light has to compete with light hitting the screen from the front...and it's not going to win against the sun.

That technology has been around for a while, though, and it can "refresh" the screen very quickly. It can do it quickly enough for full video, both things like movies and TV, and video you would use in a game or app.

The Paperwhite is not backlit: it does have a built-in light, but the light is in front of the screen and projects the light towards the image from the front. You read it by light reflecting off it, the same way you read a paperbook.

That technology takes a while to "refresh" the screen. It does to slowly (at this point in the marketplace, at any rate) to effectively do video.

If you got the Kindle Fire within the past thirty days, you can take advantage of Amazon's generous Kindle return policy, and send it back...then buy a Paperwhite, if you prefer. Here is information on Kindle returns:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=200144510

Since they are two different devices with two different purposes, many of us (including me) own both a Paperwhite and a Kindle Fire...

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 12:54:49 PM PDT
Thank you very much for the complete explanation. However, I may have used a poor example in the Sun. I find that if I am reading inside, that overhead lightind has a real negative effect on the screen. It would seem to me that overhead lighting of any source puts a glare on the screen, and that would have been known. Why would they not produce paperwhite on the Kindle Fire with all of its other advantages.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2014 12:58:39 PM PDT
George, the Paperwhite has an e-ink screen. It isn't suitable for video, or even color.

Most of us have both an e-ink model Kindle for reading, and a Fire or other tablet device for the other uses.

LCD backlit devices do suffer more from glare, just because of the nature of their screens. You have to be in the shade, or sit in places that don't have bright direct light right above you. Any tablet, iPad, Fire, or smart phones, have the same issue.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2014 1:05:17 PM PDT
Thank you for your complete answer. I really do understand more about it. However, I have to say, It really seems dumb for a company to market a Kindle when one of its features can only be read in the shade for the best effect.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2014 1:08:37 PM PDT
Tinker-bella says:
"Why would they not produce paperwhite on the Kindle Fire with all of its other advantages."

As Meya and others have pointed out, they are each devices best suited for different purposes, so they use entirely different technology.

Think of it as you might a toaster oven versus a microwave... both have the ability to heat/cook your meal, but they are not interchangeable and use different technology to perform the work.

eInk devices like the Paperwhite have technology which is suited for static images... like you might find on a typewriter or Etch-a-Sketch. (Remember those?)

Tablet devices like the Fire are best suited for applications which require a higher processing demand for constantly changing images/movement... like a home computer or television.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2014 1:10:28 PM PDT
George, the Fire is a tablet device. It isn't a dedicated e-reader, and it isn't marketed that way.

Pretty much all tablets can be used for reading, but they aren't the best choice. They ALL have the issue with the screen glare. iPads, smart phones, android tablets, all of them.

If reading is your goal, you'll be happier with the e-ink models.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2014 1:11:27 PM PDT
Tinker-bella says:
" It really seems dumb for a company to market a Kindle when one of its features can only be read in the shade for the best effect."

As technology evolves, that may change one day... but Amazon can only produce what technology allows. Technology has not evolved to the point (yet) to where it is viable to make a cost-effective product which allows one to have the best of both worlds.

Posted on Apr 12, 2014 1:21:56 PM PDT
Thank you, then it is a technology issue. I really did not know that. I just assumes that their marketing people said why don`t we just sell two Kindles with the two different technologys and make more money that way. That happen to make me angry.
THANKS

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2014 1:23:17 PM PDT
Thank you for that explaination

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2014 1:24:04 PM PDT
Thank you

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2014 1:25:28 PM PDT
Tinker-bella says:
You're welcome, George.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2014 1:27:05 PM PDT
You're welcome. Happy reading!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
FREE Books & Chat - June 2016 577 2 minutes ago
Is it possible to gift an ebook? or must I buy a gift card? 31 4 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 6633 23 minutes ago
Text-to-speech on Voyage Kindle? 624 40 minutes ago
MLB At Bat 12 app for Kindle Fire???? 40 59 minutes ago
Kindle 2 still won't sync after upgrade to Version: Kindle 2.5.8 (555370010) 0 1 hour ago
85° and Sunny - A Perfect Day to RAOK! 9415 1 hour ago
Failure trying to download PDFS from web using Kindle Fire Silk 32 1 hour ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 1529 2 hours ago
connection issue 0 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Apr 12, 2014
Latest post:  Apr 12, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions