Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Will Amazon Silk support Microsoft Silverlight content such as Netflix?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 28, 2011 11:36:53 AM PDT
I am considering purchasing the new Kindle Fire tablet, however, I noticed that the Amazon Appstore does not offer the Netflix App. Entertainment on the go is the primary use of my tablets and I would like this capability. I can use Silk to playback Hulu content with Adobe Flash, but since Netflix operates using Silverlight, I was curious if it would work.

I am wondering, since Silk does processing on the backend via Amazons servers, if the Silverlight plugin scripting will occur before it reaches the device...

Does anyone know? Perhaps an Amazon employee?

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 3:03:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2011 3:03:51 PM PDT
Debarupa De says:
I have the same question as Brian S. Mizell, will Kindle Fire support Silverlight?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 3:05:40 PM PDT
Erich says:
Obviously I don't have a definitive answer... but bear in mind, Amazon is gunning straight at Netflix. They are in direct competition with them at this point. The Fire is meant to be the mobile platform that feeds all the Amazon content - including movies, TV shows, and music. Don't be surprised if Netflix doesn't work well on Silk.

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 3:16:42 PM PDT
Old-Lumens says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 3:19:02 PM PDT
Erich says:
" That is until someone hacks it and roots it to an android (illegal of course)."

No, that's not illegal. It may void the warranty however.

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 8:54:54 AM PDT
Tried to ask the same question to Kindle Customer Support today... surprised to find out the rep I was talking to never even heard of Silverlight... she kept using a word Celluarlight... finally upon consistent request, she went to Supervisor only to come back with negative answer about the support of silverlight in Silk Browser.

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 8:59:45 AM PDT
According to an Amazon VP, there is a Netflix app for the fire in the works so Silverlight would not be necessary.

Posted on Oct 14, 2011 9:10:20 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I wish people would stop asking questions that absolutely no one knows the answer to. If it is not on the product page at this time then it is all guess work. How about waiting until the device is released or wait for another announcement. Amazon is still working on apps and content.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2011 9:16:40 AM PDT
+1

And it's going to be like this for months, because once the Fire actually is released, the questions will become even more detailed and arcane:

Can I download the angry birds app, but not the one where the angry birds are purple, the one where the angry birds are dressed in Halloween costumes, and will it support the super rubberband shooting format so I can hit the targets with my angry birds dressed in Halloween costumes from further away?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2012 7:19:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2012 7:20:36 AM PST
Joe says:
What a dumb thing to say! Why would I ask questions that I already knew the answers to? Many times, when, such as in this case, the same question is repetitive...it can create 'public demand items', and pretty soon there IS an answer to those 'dumb' questions, so tread lightly and consider those folks who wish to learn more about a particular item. Just my simple feeling.....

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 11:09:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2012 11:10:22 PM PST
Steve says:
Hulu won't work in Silk, it gives back a message about not being supported on this platform. The only way to watch Hulu is through the Hulu Plus app, which requires a paid subscription.

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 11:27:27 PM PST
Fern says:
What is the difference between an ipad and a Kindle Fire?
Should I pay so much more for the ipad?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2012 6:12:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2012 6:14:28 AM PST
A. Dietz says:
Fern: you should Google "compare iPad and Kindle Fire," there are many extensive comparisons online already. Only you can decide if the iPad is worth more money. By the way, many people are suggesting NOT buying an iPad now, but waiting for March when the next version is likely to be released.

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 7:41:51 PM PDT
A. Sannoh says:
I tried to download Microsoft Silverlight plug in o my kindle fire so that I could watch videos on Xfinity but it said that the file couldnt download. What should I do?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 22, 2012 8:03:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 22, 2012 8:05:01 PM PDT
What should you do? You should stop trying to download windows software to an android device!
(also, you shouldnt revive dead threads to post irrelevant questions)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 5:08:56 AM PDT
The left nut says:
Actually silverlight isn't windows software.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 7:08:17 AM PDT
I think w holt needs to get laid. Either that or he is short.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 7:08:34 AM PDT
I think w holt needs to get laid. Either that or he is short.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
kindle fire words with friends 285 17 minutes ago
Hear Ye! Hear Ye! We're Quirky And We're Not Going To Take It Anymore! 2016, You've Been Warned! So Geese And Tally Ho! 1086 21 minutes ago
RAOK, welcome to the wonderful world of RAOK 6543 1 hour ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion IV 6458 1 hour ago
"Manage Your Content" won't let me send a book to my kindle 2 1 hour ago
FREE Books & Chat - February 2016 214 1 hour ago
Kindle Paperwhite (7th Generation) Software Updates 20 1 hour ago
Kindle Fire Losing Touch Screen Capability 0 3 hours ago
My only review gone right after I updated my ebook 4 4 hours ago
Removing Lockscreen Ads Kindle Fire HD 158 4 hours ago
So I'm thinking about a new kindle 1 4 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Sep 28, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions