Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

kindle fire hdx no flash support - no firefox - no chrome

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 4, 2014 2:23:39 AM PST
Not happy with our purchase at all. Since every site does NOT have a mobile version available, you CAN'T use this device as marketed. You can only use their SILK browser with NO flash support, or almost any other comparable player. There is NO apps for firefox or chrome. I am VERY disappointed in the amount of money I spent for a basically worthless Kindle. The fire hd worked great, super disappointed with the hdx upgrade. Half the apps, i.e., angry birds, angry birds seasons, are also not compatible with the new model. Way to go Amazon.....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2014 2:49:17 AM PST
M. Cheshier - Amazon has nothing to do with it. Go complain to Adobe and the developers of the browser and other apps.

All of the Angry Birds apps are compatible with my HDX, so I have no clue why you're saying this.

I never saw any of these things mentioned on the product pages for the Fires.

Adobe stopped supporting Flash Player on all new Android devices (not just the Fire) over a year ago, in August 2012. Amazon can't provide it.

However, Amazon has provided the Experimental Streaming Viewer to watch Flash Videos.

Go to the Web tab > Settings and make sure these options are checked:
- Accelerate page loading
- Enable Flash Forward (not an option on the HDX)
- Load Images
- Prompt for Experimental Streaming Viewer

Complete instructions are here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201306470

To watch YouTube with Silk use the mobile YouTube website - m.youtube.com

Here are some good alternate browsers:

Dolphin:
http://apps.goodereader.com/android-apps/internet-and-communication/?did=5049

Maxthon:
http://apps.goodereader.com/android-apps/internet-and-communication/?did=2537

Chrome:
http://apps.goodereader.com/android-apps/internet-and-communication/?did=172

Firefox:
http://apps.goodereader.com/android-apps/internet-and-communication/?did=66

I highly recommend goodereader.com. It is an excellent website and has very good video tutorials.

http://apps.goodereader.com/app-loading-tutorials/

You'll need to swipe from the top > More > Device > Allow Application Installation.

On the Fire HDX swipe from the top > Settings > Applications > Apps from Unknown Sources - On

Posted on Jan 4, 2014 3:01:52 AM PST
JoshuaJohn says:
I have the KK, and 1st generation fire. I understand your frustration, but before buying a new product(new to me not market) I do a little research. Visit web sites like this one and read as many posts as possible and ask questions for clarification. Eliminates alot of headaches and product disappointments.

Contact customer sevice and send it back, is an option.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2014 4:52:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2014 6:45:25 AM PST
MikeJW says:
Good Morning, M. Cheshier -- after Pineapple's response, I bet you feel mighty foolish, right? I'm with JoshuaJohn, I think you should just return it.

Posted on Jan 4, 2014 6:26:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2014 6:26:34 AM PST
Grimwinder says:
"Way to go Amazon....."
I second that, they did an excellent job with the HDX. The fail here all belongs to you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2014 6:38:36 AM PST
Funny, I have Chrome and Angry birds on my HDX. Downloaded Chrome from 1mobile.com. They also have Firefox. As someone mentioned, it's Adobe who chose to discontinue Flash support, making the Kindle one of the few tablets that DOES have an alternative, with their Experimental Player. I've found that it works for most of my video sites.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2014 8:31:03 AM PST
A. Dietz says:
I have both Chrome and Firefox on my Kindle Fire HDX, you just have to sideload them You can get both from goodereader.com.

No android device has had Flash support since August, 2012.

Posted on Jan 4, 2014 11:18:37 AM PST
No I don't feel foolish. I was on with tech support for an hour. They confirmed that there is NO way to get flash, google chrome, firefox, angry birds and offered a refund. It's not operator error when you go into amazon kindle apps and you cannot download an app because it says your device is not supported. I didn't purchase this device. My father got them for us for Christmas. Not every person in the world is computer tech savvy. If a device claims to be able to watch movies in hd, anywhere, anytime, most people have no clue what players they have to have to use with what sites. Not to mention, tech support should know everything you stated above. I doubt very seriously I am the first person to complain that 1/2 the sites on the internet with no mobile sites, don't work on the hdx or that certain apps are not compatible. With that said, I will go to a few of the mentioned sites and try them out. Enabling the experimental player did not work.....

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2014 11:44:18 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Did you happen to check the other app stores mentioned?? If I go to Walmart to buy an item and they don't have it I go somewhere else. Same basic concept for app stores. The apps on Amazon will work on the HDX models once the people who make the apps update them.

As for Flash, it is not available anymore for mobile devices thanks to Adobe. They pulled support for it. There are ways to get Flash to work but if you can't even go to a different app store for apps then I can't see you following instructions on your Fire. I say send your Fire back for a refund and find a tablet that has what you want, if you even know what that is.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2014 11:59:59 AM PST
Thank you for your help. I did get Chrome installed :) The silk won't load videos on any webpages that aren't mobile but chrome is working fine. Tech support is clueless and so are my family members who got these for Christmas. Again, thanks so much :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2014 12:44:34 PM PST
can you recommend any of the above browsers for video playback? chrome isn't playing the audio, but the video is playing just fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2014 7:50:31 PM PST
Mike Smith says:
Can you give us an example web page that isn't working?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2014 10:05:18 PM PST
Jay says:
M. - You have it backwards. It is not that Amazon does not support Flash / etc. It is that Adobe / etc do not support The Kindle. Go whine to them about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2014 11:03:42 PM PST
As Mike says, you'd need to provide a link to a website with that issue. And it can't be one that you need to log onto since I won't set up an account just to test a website.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2014 11:10:20 PM PST
Here are just a few of the Angry Birds apps that are compatible with the HDX. I didn't have the time to look at them all:

Angry Birds HD (Fire Edition)
Angry Birds Rio HD (Fire Edition)
Angry Birds Star Wars II Free
Angry Birds Go!
Angry Birds Friends
Angry Birds Seasons HD (Fire Edition)

Angry Birds apps:
http://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_feature_two_brow_1?rh=n%3A2350149011%2Ck%3Aangry+birds%2Cp_n_feature_two_browse-bin%3A6713835011&keywords=angry+birds&ie=UTF8&qid=1388905484&rnid=3305697011

Posted on Jan 28, 2014 2:37:49 PM PST
Steve H says:
To the OP:

Go to lovemyfire.com. A great site for all things Kindle. Click on Problems. Look down below for How to Install the Flash Player.

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 1:45:23 AM PST
Jay says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2014 4:21:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2014 4:34:56 PM PST
As he stated earlier this was not his purchase but a gift and must say my gripe is with the handicapped Android OS which seems to have been move to this tablet without any changes. I have been nothing but disappointed by the lack of usability and functionality of this tablet Amazingly in their zeal to use this to drive saleppls made it even more limited. I have finally been able to load an archive version of flash along with Dolphins and Firefox . But it took days of researching different sites. AMAZON HAS TO BEAR at lest some of the blame they market this as a tablet what it is a marketing, sales tool the only thing my Kindle fire HD does reliably and without prompting is run home to the app store which will tell you that xyz app can not be downloaded because it's not supported my your device. More often than not.
I had the experimental flash player enabled but it never worked that I am are of. I WILL MAKE SURE TO TELL ANYONE WHO WHILE LISTEN TO AVOID THIS NEARLY WORTHLESS DEVICE.I hope now that the price advantage it enjoined has largely disappeared that market forces will force them to reexamine and refine this sales tool to better reflect people's expectations and Amazon's hype .The flash issue may take care of it's self as more site and video c content moves to HTLM5, that was my first fix for, Youtube videos that and looking for content in mp4 format.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2014 11:12:48 AM PDT
I have a version of Firefox that plays Flash on my Nexus tablet. It is called Photon browser, and you click an icon when you want to view a flash item. Not sure if they have a Kindle version, but might be worth it to try.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2014 5:24:59 PM PDT
CatChat says:
you do know that amazon only SELLS the apps in their app store, right? it is up to the developer of an app to choose which devices to make their app compatible with. if you do shop for apps outside of amazons app store then you need to go to settings to allow third party apps to download.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2014 6:02:17 AM PDT
geek woman says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 3, 2014 6:06:19 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 21, 2015 12:22:09 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2014 6:07:40 AM PDT
Sharon, no currently sold tablets support Flash. It is outdated technology. iPads do not have Flash either, and never have.

If you care to post some details about your issue, someone can probably give you some help.

If not, you can return the Fire in the first 30 days after purchase, if you bought it from Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2014 6:19:41 AM PDT
The answer is that webmasters need to stop using Flash. It's a dinosaur.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2014 7:41:47 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Maybe next time you should do a little research before buying any device. Then you will know what capabilities a device has. I know, that makes too much sense.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  Jan 4, 2014
Latest post:  Jan 5, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions