Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Foreign books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 3, 2011 8:52:35 PM PST
I would like to see more foreign books available for Kindle, mostly French. I love my Kindle.
By the way, I received a message send my input at : kindle-feedback@amazon.com, but the link doesn't work.

Posted on Jan 3, 2011 9:07:18 PM PST
It is not a link to a website page; it is an email address. Did the message bounce back to you when you sent the email to that address?

Posted on Jan 4, 2011 1:47:06 AM PST
Bookaholic says:
There are also free books available in Kindle format in many languages, just go to www.manybooks.net and click on 'languages' on the left side and choose French. These are all older books that are in the public domain (copyright has run out) but there's a large number of books in French.

You can probably find a lot of books for sale in French if you Google: ebooks in french Just be sure they're either in .mobi format or are not DRM protected. If they're not protected you can convert them to Kindle format using the program Calibre.

Posted on Jan 4, 2011 2:47:25 AM PST
kindle-feedback@amazon.com is the e-mail address for leaving your comments.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2011 8:19:28 AM PST
antirealist says:
"I would like to see more foreign books available for Kindle, mostly French. I love my Kindle."

Me too. Even in Canada - where French is an official language - the selection of eBooks available in French is quite poor.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2011 1:25:22 PM PST
krystalspin says:
Leaving feedback for Amazon about the availability of any particular book or genre is a bit futile, they can't offer what the publisher doesn't make available as an electronic book.

Write to publishers.

Posted on Jan 4, 2011 2:01:46 PM PST
Try manybooks.net. I have downloaded and begun reading a number of German texts and a few French as well. Unfortunately, a quick look at amazon.ca and amazon.fr turned up very little in the way of Kindle books in French (especially compared to amazon.de for German books), but that may change over time.

Posted on Jan 4, 2011 2:04:57 PM PST
Oh, I almost forgot. Try books.google.com. You can download books in a number of formats except Kindle, but with the free software Calibre (available all over the web) you can easily convert books in Nook format to MOBI format, which is Kindle freindly. It only works on books that have not DRM protection (basically free, public domain books published prior to 1920, with some exceptions). With books that have DRM, you can buy some in PDF format on a computer, then transfer to your Kindle via the usb cable.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2011 5:57:36 PM PST
Marc Cogan says:
Hi Grace,

Here are two sites that haven't been mentioned yet and that you should know. The first (wikisource) is, to my mind, the best site for free French books out there. The second will point you in some additional directions.

http://fr.wikisource.org/wiki/Accueil

http://www.ebooksgratuits.com/

Posted on Nov 23, 2011 7:16:54 PM PST
Dialdancer says:
I like books, like the feel and find it easier to read from books than a small device. I have never been interested in purchasing a Kindle until today. Is there an App on the Kindle which would allow me to purchase a book in French and translate it to English?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2011 7:25:11 PM PST
@Dialdancer: I don't know of any app that will translate books from one language to another.

Posted on Nov 24, 2011 6:19:27 PM PST
Dialdancer says:
Thanks John.

Sorry to hear that.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2012 3:56:20 AM PDT
N. Leaver says:
Most books are translated into many languages. Just buy the book in the language of your choice.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2012 11:18:08 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
there are a lot of books that aren't available in other languages - I'd love to read Licia Troisi's books but they're only available in italian (original language), french (very expensive) and german
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage and $79 Kindle
0 13 days ago
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
amazon Echo 871 5 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat (FB&C) Thanksgiving & Black Friday 26/27 Nov. 2014 110 8 minutes ago
Any E-Ink Product That Includes Full Web Browsing? 29 11 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Home of Manic Gardens, Roof Possums, Goat Spanx, Flailing Yahoos and So Geese! And Cherie! 2002 12 minutes ago
Al's Place 35mm 4801 13 minutes ago
New Kindle Fire HD 6 0 14 minutes ago
Amazon echo is for sale now! 30 18 minutes ago
Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III 6719 24 minutes ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 1546 25 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Jan 3, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions