Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

"Before You Go" page on Kindle: Do you rate or share your books?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 64 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 23, 2011 9:40:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2011 9:09:32 PM PDT
I'm having my books reformatted so readers get more text with their free sample, but I'm also wondering about the end of the book and how to make better use of it. Specifically, I mean the last Kindle page that says:
"You've finished. Before you go...."

There, you have an opportunity to rate the book and also share it on Facebook and Twitter. As readers, do you look at this page? Do you ever rate the books or share it online?

Thanks for your feedback.
L.J.
Author of the Detective Jackson mysteries

Posted on May 23, 2011 9:53:22 AM PDT
MamaSylvia says:
I've never even seen a "before you go" page. If it comes after The End, I probably never will see it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011 9:53:53 AM PDT
GeekyGal says:
Dear LJ:

Thank you for asking. I really do appreciate it when authors or publishers take the thought to move the former "front matter" to the end of the book in the interests of a more representative sample. It does make a difference in an initial impression of whether this was intended for an e-reader market.

Rate, always. Look at the links on that page to other books by that author [if I liked the book]. always Share on social media, never.

GeekyGal

Posted on May 23, 2011 9:57:36 AM PDT
I do rate each book when I see this page, but do not share on Facebook or Twitter, as I do not have accounts on either.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011 10:05:16 AM PDT
D. Knight says:
I always rate the book, but never share. Not really interested in Facebook or Twitter.

Posted on May 23, 2011 11:08:34 AM PDT
Thanks for responding. It's good to know that you're rating books! My understanding is that the page is new with K3, so that may explain why you've never seen it, MamaSylvia.

Anyone, do you read the author bios at the end?
L.J.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011 11:11:29 AM PDT
Zella says:
I always read author bio's. Love it when there's a picture of the author, too. I also read prefaces, dedications, and copyright dates.

Posted on May 23, 2011 11:20:11 AM PDT
CLS10 says:
I rate, but I don't share (I don't use any of the included social networking function on my kindle).

Posted on May 23, 2011 11:29:04 AM PDT
GreyDay says:
I believe the rating is just your own rating of the book. I don't think it ends up in the cumulative book rating you see on the product page. I think they changed things so you can't rate a book without a review. Anybody know for sure?

Posted on May 23, 2011 11:40:09 AM PDT
Daisy says:
I've purchased "dozens" of books after reading the sample.

I've never seen a Kindle page that says:
"You've finished. Before you go...."

I've written reviews, but I've never reviewed a sample. I don't think a book should be rated without the reader having read the entire book and submitted a review.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011 11:40:13 AM PDT
Wanda Sykes says:
I have recently started rating the books but I don't share even though I have a FB account. As far as bio's, sometimes I enjoy reading where an author is from and to get a little history on them but it's not a deal breaker for me if it's not there :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011 12:29:39 PM PDT
ShirleyKat says:
Yes, I've been rating, but mostly just to get my http://kindle.amazon.com page updated. I have never used Facebook or Twitter.

Posted on May 23, 2011 12:59:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2011 1:00:18 PM PDT
Zen Druid says:
I always rate at the end of the book and usually share on Facebook . The amount of characters you can use when you rate on Facebook via Kindle is small (I assume so that it is Tweetable also), so I usually only share if I can think of something informative to say about the book in just a couple of words.

Posted on May 23, 2011 1:25:14 PM PDT
YepIt'sBecky says:
I also rate the book when I see this page, but do not share.

Posted on May 23, 2011 1:40:35 PM PDT
I rate and share on Facebook - sometimes leads to discussions either with friends/family who have read said book or with people who think said book sounds like something they might like.

Posted on May 23, 2011 2:02:43 PM PDT
Bixillarla says:
I do not rate or share. When the story ends that is the last page I read, I do not go any further. I do not use Facebook or Twitter or any of those type of social networks.

Posted on May 23, 2011 2:09:41 PM PDT
DS says:
I always rate and share. I like it that friends see it and then ask me more or we can talk about the topic

Posted on May 23, 2011 2:16:48 PM PDT
T. E. Maddox says:
I have not rated any but I recently shared one on facebook that I rather enjoyed.

Problem is that with so many books containing samples and such at the end I rarely ever make it to that page as I don't normally read the samples.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011 3:16:44 PM PDT
Karyzma says:
I rate every book I read and share most of those ratings on facebook. Sharing on fb often starts a discussion with friends or gets someone else interested in reading the book. After posting that I read The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom, a friend of mine told me how she not only heard the author speak in the 70's, but also got to meet her.

I also look at author bio's and check out the links at the end too. FYI, if you have a K3 and you don't see the rate & share page at the end, then you need to sign up your facebook or twitter accounts in the settings area on your kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011 3:29:26 PM PDT
L.J.

I always go to the very end of a book.

I almost always skip any teaser chapters -- even if it means I go to the last location and read the end pages backwards from there.

I never use my Kindle proper to rate or review. If I want to do that, I go to the computer.

I have never shared on Facebook or Twitter.

Approximately a third of the time, I do click on "Books also bought" and explore those links. I have purchased books for the reading group from those links.

I always read -- and find interesting the bio/picture/etc. of the author of the book -- and appreciate it at the end of the book.

I never read -- and find intrusive and annoying the bios and declarations of writing interests of other authors. If I wanted to know what kind of dog an author owned or what the preferred breakfast muffin is, I'd probably be reading that author's books and I might find it interesting then but it disrupts the experience of the book I'm reading. This is a feature I've just come across in three different books in the past month. And I'm grumpy about it. (Can you tell?)

If publication information, including copyright, are placed at the end of the book, I'd appreciate that page being included in an active Table of Contents.

You didn't ask specifically about ToCs, but I find the active ToCs that are only listings of chapter numbers to be of limited use. It's easier to search for "Chapter 35" than to use that type of ToC. It can be an annoying number of pages to page through. OTOH, I don't like chapter titles that give everything away if you happen to read them. I do like sections or parts in ToCs, if appropriate to the book.

More than you asked for! ;) Good luck in refining your arrangement of material.

Tree, a Swithin reader in Texas

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011 3:33:25 PM PDT
A P.S. of sorts.

I find it beyond annoying to have three or four (or more) pages of review quotes between the cover and the beginning of the book. They should be chucked to the end of the book if it is felt necessary to include them. I do remember one sample that was only three paragraphs after the multiple pages of rave review quotes and a lengthy active ToC.

Tree, a Swithin Reader in Texas

Posted on May 23, 2011 5:31:12 PM PDT
Tree, thanks for you thorough response. One of changes I'm making is to get rid of the review quotes in the front material. They only take up a page in the print version, but I've come to realize they're annoying in the digital version and take up unnecessary space in the sample. Sorry! I'm still learning, but that's why I ask.
L.J.

Posted on May 23, 2011 5:40:50 PM PDT
Ann says:
I usually rate, but by computer rather than the Kindle. I have only shared once when I read an exceptional 5 star book that I thought many of my FB friends would like.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2011 6:37:54 PM PDT
Daisy, which version do you have? I think the BYG page is only in K3.
L.J.

Posted on May 23, 2011 6:39:43 PM PDT
CLB77 says:
I like sharing, if I remember to click forward that far to get to the "Before you go" page, but I don't rate.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 4 days ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 Jul 29, 2014
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Just Walked into Best Buy and Bought a Kindle Voyage 23 12 minutes ago
Free Books and Chat -- Saturday October 25, 2014 41 13 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 9089 15 minutes ago
Kindle book returns 358 18 minutes ago
Organizing books on Kindle paperwhite? 106 20 minutes ago
Are lots of people having problems with uneven lighting on the Voyage? 27 23 minutes ago
RAOK # 80 - Acts of Kindness Are In the Pipeline™ 1829 23 minutes ago
Potentially Perky People - Part Deux 4098 30 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  50
Total posts:  64
Initial post:  May 23, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions