Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books & Chat- Wed, Dec 5, 2012

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 184 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 4, 2012 9:12:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2012 12:08:00 PM PST
Good Morning All! Before we get so busy and caught up in the holiday season I wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays depending on what you celebrate. My usual international buffet/beverage bar is open and will be serving foods for breakfast, lunch and dinner so all can enjoy calorie free in accordance with their time zone. I also wanted to wish you this not only this time of year but everyday:

I WISH YOU ENOUGH.

Recently, I overheard a mother and daughter in their last moments together at the airport as the daughter's departure had been announced. Standing near the security gate, they hugged and the mother said:

"I love you and I wish you enough."

The daughter replied, "Mom, our life together has been more than enough. Your love is all I ever needed. I wish you enough, too, Mom." They kissed and the daughter left.

The mother walked over to the window where I sat. Standing there, I could see she wanted and needed to cry.

I tried not to intrude on her privacy but she welcomed me in by asking, "Did you ever say good-bye to someone knowing it would be forever?" "Yes, I have," I replied. "Forgive me for asking but why is this a forever good-bye?"

"I am old and she lives so far away. I have challenges ahead and the reality is the next trip back will be for my funeral," she said.

When you were saying good-bye, I heard you say, "I wish you enough." May I ask what that means?"

She began to smile. "That's a wish that has been handed down from other generations. My parents used to say it to everyone." She paused a moment and looked up as if trying to remember it in detail and she smiled even more.

"When we said 'I wish you enough' we wanted the other person to have a life filled with just enough good things to sustain them". Then turning toward me, she shared the following, reciting it from memory,

"I wish you enough sun to keep your attitude bright.

I wish you enough rain to appreciate the sun more.

I wish you enough happiness to keep your spirit alive.

I wish you enough pain so that the smallest joys in life appear much bigger.

I wish you enough gain to satisfy your wanting.

I wish you enough loss to appreciate all that you possess.

I wish you enough hellos to get you through the final good-bye."

She then began to cry and walked away.

They say it takes a minute to find a special person. An hour to appreciate them. A day to love them. And an entire life to forget them.

- Author Unknown

***Because I'm wishing you all enough, in this case kindle books and I enjoy making folks smile especially during this season of giving, I'm going to be giving away a kindle book from your wish list value up to $3.99 to the person who has the most books (not items) shown on their Manage Your Kindle page at the time of their FIRST post today. I will scan through the thread between 11 & 12 PM EST tonight when the thread nears its end and announce the winner who can then post in tomorrows thread which book they would like to be gifted.

***I got to thinking after I'd posted late last night that I'd also like to gift the person with the smallest number of books on their Manage My Kindle as well again valued up to $3.99. They are clearly the more needy of us (lol) and I'd truly like helping them out! You all know how much I enjoy helping folks to fatten their kindles.
Kinlib:
http://us.kinlib.com/
http://us.kinlib.com/feed/

Ereaderiq:
ereaderiq.com/free/mn
ereaderiq.com/free/

Dailyfreebooks:
dailyfreebooks.com

Kinlib Update- Today's Link:
http://us.kinlib.com/new/ce92/ 502 Books
(thanks redandwhite)

Tuesday, December 4th 2012, 10:07 PM PST
http://us.kinlib.com/new/d4d4/ 33 books

Please come back and tell us what you get from the free links. Or if you've read a previously FREE book drop in and tell what you thought of it...

*** SPECIAL MESSAGE TO AUTHORS ***
You are welcome to join us for conversation, however, self-promotion or posting a link to your book in this area is against Amazon's TOS. Please go to the "Meet Our Authors" area for that, as many of us do check there as well. THANK YOU for following the rules.
Birthday and Anniversary link:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=46D686309DF8EC54!225&authkey=!AKPFhMjMoPLl7y8
Link to Yesterday's Thread:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdThread=Tx36E90TPPJ3NJZ
Starter Schedule:
Ribbon - Thursday, December 06 start time: 11pm to Midnight PST
Lover of Blitzen - Friday, December 7th start Time: 12:30am PST
MerryinTexas - Saturday, December 8 start time: by 7AM CST
8 nights of light in ME- Sunday, December 9 start time: 11PM EST
Twas The Night...Leo.. Monday, December 10 start time: 12:30 PST
Judith- Tuesday, December 11 start time: 11-12 PM EST ???
Ribbon - Friday, December 14 start time 11pm to Midnight PST

Open Dates:
Wednesday, December 12
Thursday, December 13
Saturday, December 15
Sunday, December 16
Monday, December 17
Tuesday, December 18
Wednesday, December 19
Thursday, December 20
Friday, December 21

*** Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter. ***
Choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info. Thank You!

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 9:12:32 PM PST
Although this isn't really my cup of tea I found this recipe and it felt like the best one to share to match my theme-

Christmas Wish Cake
ready in: 2-5 hrs
serves/makes: 12
INGREDIENTS:
1 package glace pineapple
1 package glace cherries
1 1/2 cup sultanas (raisins)
1/4 cup liqueur (brandy, cointreau, etc)
3/4 cup plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup caster sugar (superfine sugar)
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cup mixed unsalted nuts
***GLAZE***
1 1/2 tablespoon brandy
1/4 cup cranberry sauce
***GARNISH***
1 tablespoon glace cherries
1 tablespoon glace pineapple
DIRECTIONS:
Combine all fruits into a large bowl. Pour over liqueur. Cover and soak fruit overnight. In large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and sugar. Add eggs, soaked fruits and nuts and stir until well combined. Spoon mixture into a baking paper lined 20cm x 10cm high sided loaf tin and bake in preheated conventional oven at 300 F for 1 1/2 hours (fan forced oven will require less time), or until cake is lightly browned on top. Allow cake to cool slightly in tin and then turn out onto a cake cooler.

To prepare glaze, mix together ingredients in a microwave safe bowl and heat on high in microwave for 30 seconds. When cake is cooled, brush with glaze and garnish top as desired.

Store well wrapped in refrigerator.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 9:33:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 4, 2012 9:34:56 PM PST
I have 11,691 books listed on my MYK as of now, but I won't be gifting myself :-). Can't wait to see how many others have.

Going to head off to dreamland now, but I'll be in again in the morning...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 9:47:06 PM PST
Incredibly touching start Marla. Wiping tears... sniff... sniff. Thanks. :)

I only have 938 books on MYK page and know I have only a drop in the bucket compared to you and others, but what a sweet gesture to make.
The cake looks tasty but since I am not a baker... for some reason I *hate* to bake... I am going to send the recipe to DD and maybe she will do it and share.

Get some rest and have sweet dreams. :)

Marilyn

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 10:09:59 PM PST
booknuts says:
i only have 3,780 ebooks on MYK--bummer! i've a ways to go before i hit the 11,000 plus mark; even including my DTB's i would barely break 11,000! but i am looking forward to years of collecting freebie ebooks here!

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 10:32:17 PM PST
I'm not even in the running with 391 books. I do delete most books after I read them since I don't usually reread books (The Stand being the only exception).
I do want to let everyone know that I am reading NOT FREE NOW Charlotte Figg Takes Over Paradise: A Novel of Bright's Pond which I got free several months ago. I'm really enjoying it.

@Ribbon Robb - Good job! I wouldn't even try to answer many questions about Washington. (Not sure I would have even gotten all of the Oregon questions even though I'm a born and raised Oregonian.)

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 10:57:34 PM PST
Lyn says:
It has been awhile since I read that story. Another Evernote clipper workout.

I appreciate the rewriting using the nom de plumes

Not even dust in some peoples rear view mirror when it comes to the amount of kindle books.

@ORFiddler
They happened to be easy questions :)
I can't remember all 5 but we had Portland, Salem and the Columbia River.
Are we working on a name?

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 11:04:19 PM PST
Lyn says:
So I wander onto to facebook and what should I see? A posted picture of Elf on the Shelf.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2012 11:07:29 PM PST
Probably won't change my name. I don't post too often and the brain cells just aren't cooperating.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 2:45:19 AM PST
Janine says:
Marla lovely start one book set I had on my wishlist

Love Can Be Murder (boxed set of humorous mysteries)

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 3:38:51 AM PST
I really have a love-hate relationship with my book archives. According to my media library, I have 882 books. You see, I intend to read each and everyone of them. Up to now, I have read 220 since August 2010 so I have a long way to go. I also insist on keeping all my books on my kk because I have not found a better way to organize my books into collections and keeping track of those I have read. I have been keeping track of the large book collection problem and am fearing I am approaching the functionning limit of my kk.

Since November 2011, I have given up looking for free books on my own and have been relying on FB&C for suggestions. As a result, I have gotten 500 books in the last 13 months! Your hunting work is much appreciated!

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 4:12:20 AM PST
redandwhite says:
Hello all and thank you to SDR for starting today - I would also like to say I wish you enough to all of those who post here and those who lurk - such a wonderful moving expression of a wonderful wish

For those who do not have enough kindle books, which seems to be most of us ;-) kinlib has just updated with 502 free books for us to choose more from

http://us.kinlib.com/new/ce92/

(Out of lurkdom for just a moment today.)

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 5:13:49 AM PST
Suze says:
Thanks Marla!

I loved the story and your gift offer. It will be fun to see the numbers and who wins! I'm still at the lowest # of books probably and I feel like I have more reading than I have time for...go figure! ( it all goes back to having to clean out my bachelor uncle's apartment after he died, he was a hoarder, he hoarded decent stuff though!)

Thanks again for all you have done and continue to do for this very special group!

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 5:16:58 AM PST
Suze says:
Hey Charlie-bird,

I hope everything went well with your sister and your new nephew! Let us know when you can. : )

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 5:24:51 AM PST
Karl says:
First time visit. Manage your Kindle total is 13331 books

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 5:28:26 AM PST
Biscay says:
redandwhite, I love your Christmas name! ... uh... wait... oh, it's you :)

Thanks for the link. I'm just popping in to post some quick picks from earlier but they are all duplicates of others' hard selecting work. Still, I know I like seeing more than one poster with the same book, so I'll do it anyway :)

A Mouth Full of Ashes by Andrew Biss (novella, 53 pages)

An unflinching look at the aftermath of a murder and the question of forgiveness from award-winning author Andrew Biss

"Everyone says forgiveness is a lovely idea, until they have something to forgive." ~ C.S. Lewis

After a promising young student is found brutally raped and murdered, her parents, Tom and Christine, are confronted with the daunting task of processing their grief and attempting to come to terms with the horror that befell their child. The paths they take in doing so, however, couldn't be starker in contrast. Christine has withdrawn into a deadened world of suppressed rage and bitterness that has left her incapable of seeing beyond the terrible tragedy that has visited her. Her husband, Tom, on the other hand, has taken the unusual step of publicly announcing his forgiveness of their daughter's killer.

At the most difficult moment in their lives, a wedge has been driven between them, threatening to destroy the only thing they have left - each other. On this explosive evening of final reckoning, as home truths and simmering resentments are laid bare, each are about learn painful, often brutal lessons of love, hate, and the elliptical nature of forgiveness.

One night, one final confrontation...one outcome.

The Ninth District - A Thriller by Douglas Dorow

For just two days 12/4&5, THE NINTH DISTRICT will be free through the Reads4Free giveaway!
THE NINTH DISTRICT has joined with the following, bestselling authors to bring you the best books for free. Act now, because the giveaway ends 12/5!

The Federal Reserve has never been robbed.

FBI Special Agent Jack Miller, pulled into a high-profile case to mentor a new agent, finds himself in a clash with the toughest opponent of his career. The chase culminates in the bowels of the city, in the storm sewers and tunnels beneath The Ninth District Federal Reserve of Minneapolis.

The Blue Monster by Mike Roche

For Tampa Detective Kate Alexander, a call to the murder scene of a teenage girl rips at her heart. The killer is free due to an acquittal by Judge Judith Levy. In revenge of that verdict, the judge's family is now the hunted. A seemingly isolated double homicide at a cheap motel leads Kate Alexander to focus on a psychotic and deranged suspect. In a cat and mouse game, the killer eludes capture as he seeks retribution against the judge. Kate places her own family in peril as she tracks the cunning criminal in a race against time. Enjoy a heart pumping emotional thrill ride as evil attempts to evade justice.

Six Clicks Away by Bonnie Rozanski

As miraculous as our wired world may be, everything connected to everything else eventually shows its downside. A rumor, a virus, a financial crisis - these days, they all cascade throughout the world in record time. SIX CLICKS AWAY tells the story of a single ripple through a tangled web, and how one person can affect us all.

In Bonnie Rozanski's captivating novel, the social network becomes a stage for six indelible, interconnected characters: a lonely writer in Toronto, pining for her lost love; an unemployed engineer in Seattle who finds himself working at the Pike Place Fish Market. There is a young collections operator in Bangalore, India, who can't stop caring about the people from whom she collects; and a seedy real estate magnate who gets his just desserts. Finally, there is a down-on-his-luck actor, an old friend of the Dalai Lama, who finds enlightenment from a most unlikely source.

A chain of falling dominoes is set in motion when Jeremy and Rachel, an unlikely duo of a geek and a Jersey girl, contact a friend on Myface.com, the largest social network on the planet. That friend contacts another, and another, each link bringing the pair one step closer to the goal of reaching the Dalai Lama, their choice of exotic target on the other side of the world. What they expect is that their simple classroom project will demonstrate "six degrees of separation," the idea that everyone on this planet is connected in six short links to everyone else. What they get, however, is a cascade of the unexpected.

The Marinski Affair by John Holt

The Marinski Affair began as a dull mundane case involving a missing husband. Okay, so he was a rich missing husband, but he was nonetheless, still only a missing husband. The case soon developed into one involving robbery, kidnapping, blackmail and murder. But was there really a kidnapping? And exactly who is blackmailing who? Who actually carried out the robbery? Who committed the murders? Who can you trust? Who can you believe? Is anyone actually telling the truth? What have they got to hide? And what connection was there with a jewel theft that occurred four years previously? All is not as it seems. Tom Kendall, private detective, had the task of solving the mystery. He was usually pretty good at solving puzzles, but this one was different, somehow. It wasn't that he didn't have any of the pieces. Oh no, he wasn't short of clues. It was just that none of the pieces seemed to fit together.

Get A Good Tree Or Die Trying: A Christmas Story by Ray Allman (19 pages)

A short story for Christmas that will touch you in all the wrong places...

Ray Allman tries. Really, he does. But he's handicapped by that Y chromosome. Still, bringing home a Christmas tree when his yuleaholic wife unexpectedly has to travel shortly before the holiday shouldn't be that big of an issue, right?

Well, let's just call it an adventure. Because with a 4 year-old in tow and the wrath of his wife hanging over him, Ray goes in search of that perfect tree, but what he finds just might be the back door to hell.

Murder in the Synagogue by TV LoCicero

On Lincoln's birthday, 1966, a young man stood on the bimah of a multi-million dollar synagogue in suburban Detroit and, confronting his audience of 700 with the Colt .32 revolver he would soon use to commit murder and suicide, he announced:

"This congregation is a travesty and an abomination. It has made a mockery by its phoniness and hypocrisy of the beauty and spirit of Judaism. It is composed of people who on the whole make me ashamed to say that I'm a Jew. For the most part it is composed of men, women and children who care for nothing except their vain, egotistical selves. With this act I protest a humanly horrifying
and hence unacceptable situation."

This true crime book is a precise and harrowing account of the assassination of Rabbi Morris Adler by 23-year-old Richard Wishnetsky, a Phi Beta Kappa scholar at the University of Michigan and a Woodrow Wilson Fellow bound for the Divinity School at the University of Chicago. A troubled intellectual seeker, Wishnetsky knew Rabbi Adler one of the nation's most prominent and venerated
religious leaders, yet he settled on this learned and charismatic man as the appropriate target of his deepest rage.

Squelched: The Suppression of Murder in The Synagogue by TV LoCicero

A compelling story of corporate deceit and criminality, Squelched: The Suppression of Murder in the Synagogue carefully details how a top Republican fund-raiser and wealthy confidant of Richard Nixon effectively pressured Prentice-Hall, Inc., into withdrawing its support for T.V. LoCicero's Murder in the Synagogue, a true crime account of the assassination of Rabbi Morris Adler. As Squelched opens, a remarkable young woman comes forward to tell the author that his book has been undermined by a powerful man she had grown up calling "uncle." Later LoCicero learns that four years after it sabotaged Murder in the Synagogue, the publisher did the same thing to another of its books, Du Pont: Behind the Nylon Curtain. The story of what Prentice-Hall did to the Du Pont book was first told on January 21, 1975, in the New York Times. The story of what happened to Murder in the Synagogue has never been told...until now.

The Accidental Anarchist by Bryna Kranzler

By the time he was twenty-five years old, Jacob Marateck had been a Jewish officer in the notoriously anti-Semitic Russian army during the Russo-Japanese War, a revolutionary who sought to overthrow the Czar, and sentenced to death three times. After avoiding the firing squad for the final, unlikely time, he escaped from a Siberian forced labor camp with Warsaw's colorful "King of Thieves." Together, the two struggled to survive and obtain false papers to travel home while avoiding the Secret Police. Told from Marateck's uniquely humorous perspective, The Accidental Anarchist is the remarkable, true story of an ordinary man made extraordinary by participating in the history-making events of the 1900s in Russia and Poland. Throughout all the hardships he endured, he never lost his optimism, which was key to his survival.

Thanks all for your wonderful hunting and hope these are useful for any who've missed and wanted them.

Bows-cay

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 5:29:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2012 5:49:44 AM PST
Good Morning All! I've finally wandered back in. Glad many liked my opening wish story. It just felt really appropriate especially given that the holidays are creeping up on us quickly.

As of right now Karl is in the lead to win the free kindle wish list book with an MYK of 13,331 books. Welcome Karl I hope you will jump right in and post often! I got to thinking after I'd posted late last night that I'd also like to gift the person with the smallest number of books on their Manage My Kindle as well again valued up to $3.99. They are clearly the more needy of us (lol) and I'd truly like helping them out! You all know how much I enjoy helping folks to fatten their kindles. Right now that looks like it's Printemps with 882 books :-). I've edited to add this information about gifting the lowest as well to my opening.

I don't delete the books I've already read, not because I think I will make it back to re-read many of them, but because I plan to pass my kindle account on when I'm no longer here to a family member kind of like passing on a library of works to someone.

I no longer even attempt to store them all on my kindle. Once I'd hit slightly over 3,200 books on there I started having major problems from freezing to constantly having Ms Diva reset herself multiple times a day. I finally had to do a factory reset to get her to work properly again. That's when I began to send books to my cloud reader moving them down as I wanted them and started importing to shelfari as well in the hopes of tagging them all into collections. Because by then my MYK was already large, I haven't made as much progress over there as I'd like to have, but I do probably have over 2,500 books I can easily chose one from to send down based on the genre I feel like reading at that time. I keep about 750-850 books on my kindle now. I was ok until I got to around 1,800 books then I did notice my kindle page turning slowed way down and I'd have a periodic freeze up.

Be back after I pour a real cup of coffee, the virtual alone isn't enough today, with some kinlib picks. Thanks redandwhite for the link. I've edited and added it to the opening.

ETF: Typos. Really do need that coffee lolol...

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 5:47:33 AM PST
Suze says:
Hi Marla,

Just checked MYK and I have 196 books. I delete any I start and don't like immediately. I have kept a few non-fiction to read again or refer to. I still feel like I have SO many potentially good books to read ahead of me!

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 6:06:32 AM PST
B.J. says:
Good morning. I'm neither at the top nor the bottom of the acquisitions list. MYK shows 9200 even. After I finish a book, I send it to the trash and I don't know if those are still counted in MYK or not but I have 557 there??? My K4PC is still in a coma and I really miss it. I read on Cloud Reader but K4PC is twice as fast, easier to delete or search, and I have collections there. Think Santa Ammy might give me my Christmas wish?

I haven't posted much lately but that's mostly due to the Christmas madness. Most of my 'puter time is spent on ordering gifts, making lists, checking them twice. My kids are in so many plays and productions from church to school to clubs, parades and tournaments that my time is spent. My little butt is worn to a 'nubbin' when I get in. Still, I read and search if my eyes and hands decide to cooperate. Love the new names and faces, glad to see everyone healing. Hope those like Leo and those coming back from surgery and problems are seeing a better day each day. Would love to hear from Elizabeth and Reader Tri. Glad to see you back bethcross. Congrats on the new home Sunshine and the babies on the way. Hope Christmas is looking good for everyone.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 6:07:14 AM PST
My book count is 523, but I only started in May. Of course there are over 250 audio books apparently. I've been working on those a bit longer. Great story and a great gift! Thanks for the start :)

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 6:11:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2012 6:13:45 AM PST
Some kinlib picks:

On the Nickel (A Cleopatra Jones Mystery)- Mystery
Mama's strange behavior jolts accountant Cleopatra Jones from her whirl of late summer activities with her daughters, her pregnant Saint Bernard, and her new boyfriend. When Cleo overhears the heated argument between Mama and her church-lady rival, Erica Hodges, she realizes Mama is out of control. Erica files a police report about Mama's threats, which adds to Cleo's growing unease.
Two days later, Erica is dead, the victim of a hit and run at the church. Though Erica's reputation for arrogance, bossiness, and rudeness is well-deserved, she is descended from the town's founder, and the mayor pressures the police to obtain justice for the town's leading citizen.
To Cleo's horror, there's a person-sized dent in Mama's gray Olds. Mama denies killing Erica but refuses to account for her whereabouts that night. Mama's secrets are maddening, but are they deadly?

Don't Let the Fairies Eat You (Looking for the Witch)- Fantasy A Yellow Banner (previously gotten book) for me on Jan 12, 2012

Caarina the Cooking Fairy- Children's Cooking/Rhyming Story
Caarina lives among the cooks that write the recipes in books. They're master chefs who work all night. To mix and simmer's their delight. Today, the Fairy Queen decrees, and all the fairies there agree, a special feast will soon be served--a rich reward that all deserve. Who should cook this special feast prepared with flour, oil, and yeast? Who can roll and brown a bun? Caarina is the chosen one! Join Caarina, the cooking fairy, in this humorous, rhyming adventure. Caarina is all set to create a delicious feast for the Fairy Queen; however, a pesky gremlin attempts to foil Caarina's plan. Can Caarina "beat" him? Who will be "whipped," gremlin or fairy? Young readers will enjoy this clever fantasy adventure, sprinkled with word play and more than a dash of fabulous fairy fun for all!

Savior Frequency (Frequency Series Book 1)- Police Procedural
"In a world where nothing is, as it seems, it's impossible to know if even your own thoughts are real. It's not your computer you need to worry about being hacked, it's your mind."
Do you ever find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time? If you do, make sure to choose your next move carefully, because you never know who might be watching you...
Jordan Callahan is a regular guy, with an irregular problem. He's always in the wrong place at the wrong time. Every moment in a crowd coils up with anticipation that someone around him may die. It could be a tragic accident, or random act of violence, but there is a good chance death is coming.
Walking the remarkably stable line between sanity and straightjacket, Jordan marches on as normally as possible. But normal flies out the window when an intriguing woman with an incredible story crashes into his world.
Kayci Dewitt is running for her life, from the same clandestine government group for which she works and there's no place to hide. If there is any hope to survive this mind war, she's going to have to unlock the ability that Jordan has been suppressing all his life. But it may be too little too late, for both of them.

Christmas Corpse Caper (Short Story, Mystery, Suspense)- Mystery/Humor (I'd gotten Liquid Lies (Mystery, Thriller, Suspense) in March)
One Christmas Eve. One vanishing Corpse. Too much mayhem
Christmas Corpse Caper is a 10,000 word short story romantic suspense prequel to the Amazon bestselling mystery "LIQUID LIES."
Christmas Corpse Caper: Stuck at work on Christmas Eve, Mark Stevens plans to make the best of it. He may even wrangle a date with a co-worker he's loved since fifth grade. But his plan quickly goes awry when the night turns creepy with strange noises and a broken vase. And when a corpse vanishes, the question becomes whether he'll make it through the night without losing his sanity...or his life. A mysterious and fun prequel to the Amazon Kindle Bestseller "LIQUID LIES."

A Very Shitake Christmas (Shitake Mystery Series #1.5)- I'd already gotten this one in a collection called Save Me, Santa: 5 Holiday Stories of Romance & Suspense NOT FREE NOW, but thought some would want to grab this one.

Ward 19 (A Parva Corcoran Suspense Thriller)- Suspense
St Margaret's Hospital has 18 Wards.
And one extra one that no one wants to visit.
Ward 19.
The mortuary.
But when horribly dissected corpses starting appearing on the hospital grounds, it is about to get very crowded.
The CID coroner Parva Corcoran must work out why the hospital's own staff - dedicated to saving lives - are being targeted by a serial killer who shows no mercy? And why the bodies have been horribly mutilated?
As she starts to uncover the horrifying truth of Ward 19, her own professional past is called into question. And as she digs into the toughest case of her career, the reality is far worse than anything she could have imagined.
'Ward 19' is a gripping suspense thriller, featuring coroner Parva Corcoran, a coroner with a mysterious past, and a character who is as memorable as she is smart.

That's my picks up to book #39. I think I'll dribble them out in the thread today so the posts don't get too long...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 6:12:33 AM PST
@8 nights of light Are all your audio books through Audible? I'm intrigued by audio books but I don't have any. Am I correct that you have to have a paid subscription to Audible to use it? I haven't tried audio books on my Kindle Fire and I'm not sure how to. Thanks!

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 6:19:37 AM PST
Cluny says:
Marla
Lovely opening, great reminder...not in the running , have less than a thousand, including those not listed under manage your kindle (i.e. other sources)

Et al
I wish enough good books, so that you still will be reading at heaven ' gate.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 6:34:27 AM PST
@new mom All of the audio books on are through Audible. I have a subscription for two book tokens a month at $23 or so dollars a month. There is a Kindle app for the fire (which I have) and they are held in a cloud until you download it on your kindle. I usually listen to them through iTunes on my computer at work, but on occasion listen on the kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 6:35:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2012 6:39:49 AM PST
redandwhite says:
Hi Bows-cay - I think my name is already reasonably festive - Red for ribbonns, baubles, candles and Rudolph's nose and white for the falling snow (oh and the foam on the top of the traditional (well known brand) of Christmas Beer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbaKbKc5LoQ.

It is a christmas card snowy landscape outside my window right now - great big fat flakes floating and swirling around.

ETA
SDR I am not in the running either end of the list, 234 books for me - still trying to get some book reading done - but I keep on getting caught up on the posts instead haha
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0x98f195c4)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  59
Total posts:  184
Initial post:  Dec 4, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions