Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire Web Browsing Issue

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 99 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 25, 2011 11:44:35 AM PST
Dustin says:
Anyone else notice you have to sometimes click a link several times for it to open? Its not fat fingers as the link 'highlights' as being clicked, but browser doesn't respond. Often i just refresh the page then click again and it works.. slightly frustrating!

Is it just me?

Posted on Dec 25, 2011 12:33:38 PM PST
Alan says:
No it is not just you. Make sure that you have the latest update installed (currently that is 6.2.1). Even with this update the browser is still somewhat annoying to use. I have side loaded both Opera and Dolphin. I find Opera to be very responsive and easy to use. It does not support Flash, and when I need Flash I use Dolphin.

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 9:47:20 AM PST
C. McCoy says:
I am having the same problem and it's very frustrating! I don't understand why it recognizes my touch enough to highlight the website but it will not open the link.

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 11:33:08 AM PST
same problem here. I had to zoom in and then select the link. That seemed to work. Not a big deal,but it would be nice if it worked the way most browsers work. Hopefully, the next patch/release of software will resolve it.

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 2:35:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2011 2:35:31 PM PST
Is any one having problems searching the web with their kendel? When I try to search either with the URL or name I get a gray screen and it come back for me to search again. Every thing else works?

Posted on Dec 27, 2011 11:32:40 PM PST
Lisa Burcham says:
I had same problem, but shutting down completely and rebooting cured it for me.

Posted on Dec 31, 2011 7:38:13 AM PST
Jsmart says:
Same issue here. Links don't highlight. Reboot won't solve it.
The kindles browser is slow, the keyboard sucks and it's crap to type on. Reading is good but for web browsing get another tablet. This is painful to use as I type this on my kindle fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2011 9:45:12 AM PST
Uncle Ralph says:
The way I found to do it is to do your search like on Google the find the link you want and hold you finger on it and it will highlight with brackets around it. Then touch it again and a little box will appear the says "Text copied to clipboard". Then put you finger on the url box on the top of the page where you would type in the url, and by holding your finger on that a large box will appear that give you some choices and choose "Paste". The url will appear in the box, then just touch the "Go" button next to it, and you will there. It drove me crazy untill I figured it out but it is fairly easy once you have done it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2012 7:31:10 PM PST
Omg I have the same issue. I press web it goes gray then sends me back to the home screen!!!! I even shut down 4 times and rebooted! Nothing works :( did u find a solution???? I even tried going on my twitter and clicking a link and there was the gray screen... I have the latest version. My battery was full and I had wifi :(

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 7:38:26 PM PST
Dustin says:
Not really, but Summer, try turning off acceleration on your browser settings (settings > advanced). Unfortunately the browser is quite bad generally; google search links are especially bad and google image search is worthless. Here's hoping for updates -- and soon! :)

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 2:57:01 PM PST
Lee Cash says:
A lot of the sites I visit, the content loads but then moves off to the right before disappearing completely. Is this a known issue? Right now this device is unusable and will be returned.

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 4:46:20 PM PST
The browser is extremely slow - what takes 10 seconds with my Ipod Touch takes 15 minutes on the Fire. I was under the understanding that the Fire browser was to be very fast, but instead it is super slow. I have given up with being able to search the Internet with it - very disappointed.

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 5:14:17 PM PST
I just found a solution to the extremely slow Fire browser - it works!

Here are the steps for speeding up your Kindle Fire's browser:

Open the Amazon Silk browser.
Tap the Menu button at the bottom of the screen.
Tap the Settings button.
Change the following settings:
"Enable plug-ins" - Turn this off.
"Accelerate page loading" - Make sure this is not checked.
"Desktop or mobile view" - Set this to "Mobile: Optimize for mobile view."

After implementing the changes, you should be able to notice an increase in speed when browsing with the Silk browser.

Posted on Jan 10, 2012 7:33:36 PM PST
iDRMRSR says:
One thing that might help you navigate the browser is to realize that it may be converting the web page to a PICTURE before sending it down to your device. The picture then inherits "hot spots" which are sensitive to touch. Sometimes the translation to an image isn't quite right, so the target zone is not exactly where the words or text are. Slightly above or below or to one side. It's worse with some web sites than others. I find I need to experiment a bit and learn pretty quick that one site is more sensitive above a link and another wants you a little to the right, etc.

And sometimes the Kindle is just sitting there "thinking" about your touch. It's not that it hasn't registered just doesn't give you any feedback that it accepted your touch already and is now working on things. Like an elevator button.

Yeah, I'm saying a certain kind of Zen is necessary to use the browser correctly!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2012 11:42:01 AM PST
Don Di Croce says:
I completely agree. The web browser on the Kindle Fire is unuseable. This is very disappointing as my expectations were to have a tablet that I could use for reading in addition to web browsing. If getting another tablet for web browsing is the answer I'll get rid of the fire and go to the iPad. No troubles there with web browsing and I can sitll read my Kindle books there.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2012 6:00:25 PM PST
KewStorm says:
where is the Amazon Silk browser?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2012 7:01:19 PM PST
iDRMRSR says:
Silk IS the browser! Actually, it's the browser program that runs on the Kindle PLUS the fancy stuff Amazon has installed on the server to "pre-chew" the web pages in the hope that the KF will display the pages faster than if it sent them the native, undigested, contents! There are other browser programs out there like Dolphin and Opera, but you have to be a bit of a hacker to install them through the back door of sideloading. And then you basically don't know what you have because your access to the web isn't 100%, some portion of it is siphoned off and reprocessed at Amazon even from another browser, I suspect. They don't disclose what they do with the information coming out of the back of the KF!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2012 7:24:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2012 10:29:19 AM PST
springbird says:
Catherine B. Fairbanks, thank you for the information. it works on my kindle fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2012 1:47:24 PM PST
KewStorm says:
Thank you so much. The information that was provided in the first post worked perfectly. Once I unchecked and did all that, the browser was right on the money with no delays. Thank you again so much. This forum has been my saving grace. I really appreciate all the help. Have a GREAT weekend!!! and again. thank you so much!!!

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 8:51:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2012 8:53:33 AM PST
starbucksnyc says:
Where did Amazon stuff solve this problem? I don't see a link to solution or any acknowledgment about this problem!
I am very frustrated with the browser and I don't hear any plan of them fixing it. Either give us a fix or we should just send it back and get a ipad.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2012 8:59:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2012 9:16:53 AM PST
starbucksnyc says:
does not work for me. I simply google something and it completely ignores my taps on the links.

Posted on Jan 14, 2012 9:27:13 AM PST
starbucksnyc says:
This link suggests on google search page (very bottom) switch back to classic view (instead of mobile view). Might need to do the same for other pages.

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 11:53:19 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 15, 2012 11:54:12 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 15, 2012 11:55:03 PM PST
How do you zoom in/out?

Posted on Jan 17, 2012 9:28:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 17, 2012 9:37:25 AM PST
Ron Curtis says:
The freakin' web browsing sucks and I'm p*ssed off about it! Websites taking forever to load even when indicator is showing full. Fire sitting right next to the wi-fi source and constantly losing the connection. Very frustrating and I am very disappointed.

It's been sitting there trying to load a text-only web page for 10 minutes. Sheesh!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What's New in IOS Version 4.12?
56 5 days ago
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 Sep 18, 2015
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 Sep 18, 2015
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 9395 3 minutes ago
Page Numbers on Kindle App for iPad 240 12 minutes ago
Amazon has added Two-step Verification Woot!! 17 15 minutes ago
Discounted / Price Dropped Kindle eBooks III 7920 25 minutes ago
Banned Books 137 26 minutes ago
Purchasing books 6 32 minutes ago
How to Remove Ads from Kindle Fire HD? 917 34 minutes ago
How to remove highlighters from purchased books 49 38 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  52
Total posts:  99
Initial post:  Dec 25, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 11, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions