Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Leaving Kindle Fire HD in the car

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 74 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 8, 2013 10:21:03 PM PDT
I Went out for Dinner and Accidently left my kindle in the car After i got back around 7:40 in NC in summer... should i be worried? It was probably in the mid 70 early 80

Posted on Jul 8, 2013 10:23:22 PM PDT
If it hasn't warped and is still working fine I wouldn't worry.

Posted on Jul 8, 2013 10:26:50 PM PDT
Well i dont know if it warped its one in the morning right now

Posted on Jul 9, 2013 3:26:13 AM PDT
Fud53 says:
It's fine...70 to 80 is not excessive. Stop fretting.

Posted on Jul 9, 2013 4:49:17 AM PDT
Paxton says:
But it's a good idea generally not to leave any electronics in a car during the summer where it can be like an oven, or in the winter where it can go below freezing.

Posted on Jul 9, 2013 4:58:29 AM PDT
A. Sisk says:
Wait, so it's in the car, and you aren't willing to go out to the car to even check on it? Oy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2013 5:22:36 AM PDT
But...but...but... it's DARK out there, Sisk. You surely don't expect the OP to be able to see in the dark, do you? :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2013 5:46:03 AM PDT
So it's STILL there? Why wouldn't you have brought it OUT with you when...

Oh, never mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2013 5:46:34 AM PDT
Except for the risk of someone smashing the window to get the thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2013 5:54:15 AM PDT
Sarida says:
Wow. In summer it is 80? Can I move there? My sealed up car had to be about 130 when I opened it yesterday.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2013 5:55:26 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
80F outside is going to be close to 100 in the car. I'm glad it wasn't a pet or child that wsa left in the car.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2013 6:17:40 AM PDT
Sarida says:
Leaving kids in hot cars is my pyscho button. "I forgot my kid was in the car." When that woman from Iowa killed her child by leaving it in a van all day long in the summer, that was her excuse. Oh...and she worked in a pediatric hospital.

In 30 years, I have never once forgotten I popped a kid out of my body. Never.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2013 6:27:02 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
My kid didn't pop out of me but I have never forgotten he exists and where he was at any given time.

We've had a couple of policeman forget and leave their police dogs in the car. One went out of town for 3 days, leaving the dog in the car!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2013 6:34:09 AM PDT
In fact, I often had the opposite happen. I'd have left the baby at my dad/stepmom's house for the afternoon, to run some errands.

I'd get back in the car at the PO or the bank, drive off, glance in the mirror, see the EMPTY car seat, and have about 3.5 seconds of terror-stricken panic, thinking I'd left the kid somewhere, only to remember, "Oh, yeah. She's at Grandpa's," or "Oh, yeah. He's with Daddy at home."

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2013 6:36:28 AM PDT
Sarida says:
ARG! <screaming>

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2013 6:38:07 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
Or start to turn into the daycare with no child in the car.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2013 6:39:04 AM PDT
Sarida says:
Good for you! It's so hard to comprehend how one is so immersed in other things to forget you have a child riding in the carseat behind you.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2013 6:39:29 AM PDT
Yep. Done it. Like on a Saturday. It's 3:20. Have to go get... oh, yeah.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2013 3:54:22 PM PDT
I suppose you'd have to think of the non-verbal child as being incapable of conversation, in order to forget them. I always talked to mine, right from babyhood.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2013 5:59:42 AM PDT
Sarida says:
I disagree. I think you'd have to be a selfish, self-centered egotistical twit to forget you have a child in the backseat who depends on you for its very existence.

But then I'm pretty opinionated and biased. Working in the public school system has created a cynicism about parents. Being told by a child that "Dad doesn't want me to get such big books because he doesn't like hearing me read and mom ignores me" is pretty powerful stuff. My reaction? "Okay sweetie! Let's go find something you like that is shorter!"

Five years later, this kid is one of the top readers in his class and would walk through broken glass for me. If his parents don't ruin him, he will be a great adult.

Dealing with parents who forgot to pick up their child, won't sign notes or bother getting their child to school on time has made me see how badly children suffer for this neglect. But by golly send a 14-year old girl home for wearing a t-shirt that says, "You can look, but you can't touch" across her breasts and you get threatened with lawsuits!

Okay....

Off my soapbox.

Sigh. Only one more month until school starts!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2013 6:11:07 AM PDT
I know it happens; of course it does. There should be a test you have to pass to procreate.

But last year, the first month of school, I was on home rest, recovering from open heart surgery. My son, not even thinking about the fact that the teacher *didn't know* this, told her, "I can't do that. My mom won't drive me to the store for that stuff. She just stays in bed all day."

Imagine how that sounded to the teacher. Mom just stays in bed all day. WON'T drive him to the store (I was not ALLOWED to drive for 6 weeks.) Of COURSE, we had help. But my son's statement to the teacher, ALL she heard was, "My mom won't drive me to the store. She just stays in bed all day."

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2013 6:13:55 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
I was told the best thing to tell the teachers is "I won't believe half of what I hear about you, if you don't believe half of what you hear about me".

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2013 6:14:19 AM PDT
Perfect! :0)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2013 6:21:27 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
My son went through a short phase of telling people he was not given dinner. No, he was served dinner but choose not to eat and was told we don't fix special meals. It wasn't like he was being handed a bowl of gruel. He had just decided he didn't like spaghetti that night and didn't want a sandwich.

Posted on Jul 10, 2013 6:24:43 AM PDT
Honestly, most situations when a child is left in a car, is because the normal routine of the parent's was altered. Dad taking the child to day care, when it isn't normally what he does. Stuff like that.

Have none of you ever launched into Auto Pilot, and only realized you drove to work instead of the store, after you got there? I would say that anyone who has a daily driving routine, knows what it is to do this.

I'd be careful about being so harsh when this type of thing happens. They are not the same type of horrible parenting that you see when someone is drinking in a bar with their kid in the car. It's horrible and tragic, yes. But man, have some compassion.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Update 4.9 Now Available
0 2 days ago
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
60 10 days ago
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
Amazon Echo (no invite questions) 3873 5 seconds ago
We're So Quirky, Our Chihuahuas Ride Bicycles! So Geese and Tally Ho! 8994 7 seconds ago
Removing Lockscreen Ads Kindle Fire HD 118 1 minute ago
Amazon Echo 5256 2 minutes ago
Paperwhite Skipping Pages 309 5 minutes ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 3436 7 minutes ago
Audible not syncing kindle unlimited with narration books 20 8 minutes ago
Amazon should identify books I've purchased 23 12 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  74
Initial post:  Jul 8, 2013
Latest post:  Jul 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions