Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

apps on a gift Kindle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 6, 2013 11:13:16 AM PST
I recently bought myself a new Kindle HD and Kindles for my 2 young grandchildren. I didn't mark those 2 as a gift when purchasing, didn't think about it since I was in a hurry during the cyber Monday sale. I wanted to add some free childrens' apps and books to have it ready to go for them Christmas morning. How do I go about this when, if I understand right, I download everything through my account it will all disappear when it is switched to their mom's account? Is switching the 2 Kindles to my daughter's name, then getting her Amazon password to download the free apps/books the only way to do it? They live in another state, and will be visiting us for Christmas, so I can't give them to their mom to do before Christmas.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2013 11:22:31 AM PST
Here's what I suggest: Send Mom an Amazon gift card *now*, with instructions to go ahead and buy the apps she'd like the kids to have. Those apps will remain in her Cloud.

On Christmas, register the Fires to Mom's account (it takes seconds), and download all the apps Mom chose.

Posted on Dec 6, 2013 11:37:20 AM PST
Will she be able to download the apps to both Kindles, or will they have to be purchased separately for each Kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2013 11:39:29 AM PST
If both are registered to the same account, both can download the content.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2013 11:43:39 AM PST
Thank you to both of you for your help.

Posted on Dec 6, 2013 11:45:02 AM PST
You're welcome.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2013 11:45:11 AM PST
You're welcome! Also, if you go the gift-card-in-advance road, Mom might want to hold back some of the funds, and let the kids choose some apps on their own once they get their devices set up.

It might be fun app-shopping on Christmas!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2013 11:46:55 AM PST
MrsKermit says:
That's a great idea!

Posted on Dec 6, 2013 11:50:40 AM PST
kajola says:
Does the Mom already have a Fire or android device registered to her account? If not, she probably won't be able to purchase apps (not even free ones) until the Fires are registered.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2013 11:53:50 AM PST
Dang! That's true.

Apache, does your daughter have an android phone? If she registers that to her Amazon account, she can buy apps ahead of time. If not, then my idea won't work. :0/

Posted on Dec 6, 2013 11:59:48 AM PST
Yes, their mom has a Fire. I know some of the apps they will want. They are only 3 1/2 and 5 1/2, but take over mine and my iPhone whenever I visit since I downloaded stuff for them. They ask for mine right after they tell me hello. They can operate it better than me! I wanted to get them something they would really use and enjoy instead of spending that much on some toys they'll quit playing with in a few weeks. I think some other family members plan to get an Amazon card for them when they found out I was buying the Kindles.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2013 12:45:43 PM PST
Perfect! Sounds like a great plan, then. How fun!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Dec 6, 2013
Latest post:  Dec 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions