Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage GNO Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Perils in buying a "USED" Amazon Kindle?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 29, 2012 2:42:49 PM PDT
I can only suspect that buying a used Amazon Kindle might not be a good thing!..but, I'm not too sure....I can't afford to spend much on a new Kindle, so that's why I'm asking. Is becomeing an Amazon Premium member the best way to go?

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 2:47:50 PM PDT
Becoming a Amazon Premium member or not has nothing to do with buying a used Kindle. The cheapest new Kindle is $69 (refurbished basic) and you get a full year warranty. When you buy a used one, you have no idea if there are issues (no warranty) nor if it has been reported as stolen (locked to prevent you from registering it). It's your choice, of course.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 2:48:02 PM PDT
Artist says:
Amazon Prime has nothing to do with the price of a Kindle, whether used or not. It's mostly a 2 day free shipping program.

There's an ad supported Kindle available for $79. I'd buy that before buying a used one from a stranger. Sometimes people selling Kindles are selling lost or stolen Kindles, and you won't even be able to register them to your account.

If you know the person, every Kindle has a warranty for 1 year from the original date of purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 2:48:53 PM PDT
With Amazon Prime you have access to the Kindle Owners Lend Library. You can borrow 1 book per month from the KOLL. This is provided you own an actual Kindle device. The price of Prime ($79/year) is not really worth it if all you would use it for is borrowing books (12/year). It comes out to about $6.58 ($79/12) per book and you don't get to keep the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 2:49:12 PM PDT
For the price of joining Prime ($79) you can buy a brand new basic Kindle - also $79. Prime is a shipping program; the lending library alone is not really worth joining for; there are many sources of free books that have nothing to do with Prime.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 2:49:41 PM PDT
Great!...you did indeed answer my question. I will most certainly be buying a NEW kindle!... thanks for the info...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 2:53:28 PM PDT
I'm glad I could help. Enjoy your Kindle!!

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 2:57:11 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 2:58:47 PM PDT
King Al says:
You're mixing up purchased books with borrowed books. If you buy a book, you get to keep it. If you borrow one from the Kindle Owners Lending Library, you have to return it before you can borrow another one.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 2:59:41 PM PDT
There are hundreds of free books offered daily.
Check out freedailybooks.com, ereaderiq.com, and other sites for lists and links back to Amazon.

There are also many sales on books which you can check under price drops on the ereader site.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 3:03:34 PM PDT
Dittie says:
Go to Overdrive dot com and enter your zip code to see what e-books your public library has to lend, free.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 3:03:34 PM PDT
N. Podaci says:
@S. Pedi,
The Certified Refurbished Kindles are as good as new in both quality and warranty (one year.)
Certified Refurbished Kindle, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display, Graphite - includes Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers

There are a LOT of good quality free books available. Stop by our FREE Books and Chat thread.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 3:07:09 PM PDT
I say that's pretty cheap for a book. However, there are so many free books out there you don't need to spend a dime. Use your local library for the "hits" books that are expensive. You can borrow via your kindle for FREE. I've had mine for over two years, have 3000 books (most in the archives) and have only spent $30.00 on books. I don't understand the "that you've got to return" part unless you are talking about the ones you can get with your Prime membership. Prime isn't worth it for the temp. free books but is great if you buy a lot for saving on shipping. Not a dig to you, but I'll NEVER understand people complaining about the cost of books. I spent a lot on books without even thinking about the price when I used book stores. So spending money on books isn't that important as an issue to me. But finding all the free books and new ones EVERY day I have so many now I'll be long gone before I get them all read. And the majority of them are great reads. And all 3000 fit in my purse. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 3:08:13 PM PDT
J. Donahue says:
Why do you think you have to return books that you buy from Amazon?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 3:13:54 PM PDT
Listen....I just want to thank for that "stupendous" and "Brilliant" idea of getting my Kindle books from the
library.. yes, I know it sounds like it would be the most obvious solution to "borrowing" instead of "buying",
but it just didn't occur to me, so i want to thank you wholheartedly for your most amazing suggestion.
You've now made a very very old man quite happy!...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 3:16:30 PM PDT
Freda......a most "brilliant" comment that made a ton of sense. I'm very very new at this Kindle thing and your
comment was "right on!".....

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 3:17:46 PM PDT
Yes, but for only $10 more, you can buy a new Kindle!....

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 3:19:27 PM PDT
S. Pedi - I check out the freebies at ereaderiq.com daily and usually add 300 to 500 books a week - way more than I would ever read. My family thank me as they all have many books to read at very low cost.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 3:19:58 PM PDT
Dittie says:
You're most welcome. Happy reading and enjoy your Kindle!

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 4:23:58 PM PDT
Welcome to the kindle family. It's wonderful. Now.... make sure you get a kindle that has text to talk. It will read the stories out loud to you. Just make sure the book has that feature (it's on there when it is and most are, but not some of the library ones or samples). I use it more than I thought I would. I will be in the middle of an exciting part and have to go some where. I just put it on text to talk and let it finish reading while I drive. I even had a plug put in my car (some cars come with them now) so I can listen to it over the car speakers. The cheapest NEW Kindle does not have this feature but it's worth the few bucks more to get it.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 5:07:51 PM PDT
Mary McManus says:
I think the basic $79 Kindle is lovely and unless you have a NEED for text-to-speech, you won't miss it. The reading voice is not that wonderful, quite mechanical. I much prefer regular audiobooks which I can check out of the library, and do not listen to these on my Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 29, 2012 6:40:58 PM PDT
A. Dietz says:
S. Pedi: why in the world do you think you need to return Kindle books you buy from Amazon? I have over 1,000 Kindle books and have never had to return a single one. I have borrowed books from the Kindle Owners' Lending Library and from the public library, but those were free and I knew I was borrowing them.

Posted on Jun 29, 2012 7:04:20 PM PDT
It does take awhile (an hour or so) to get use to the voice on the kindle for text to talk but it's not hard. I don't even know it's not a real person now and won't buy a book that doesn't have it. And you can change it from man to woman voice and speed up or slow down the voice. And listening to audio books on my kindle works fine too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 7:09:19 AM PDT
Mary......yes, I was wondering about if I should get the "text to speech" version and thanks to you,
I suspect I really don't need it, especially if the voice is "mechanical".. and, its most probably "monotone",
meaning that it could be rather "dull" in its audio. So, thanks for clearing that up for me Mary. So, that, solves
that minor dilemma for me!....but, on the other hand, if the manufacturers of Kindle could implement someones voice that is very very expressive when needed, that could then become a consideration!.
So, thanks, Mary for your input!...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 30, 2012 7:37:00 AM PDT
Dittie says:
S. Pedi, because Amazon doesn't own the TTS technology and some publishers don't allow it to be enabled anyway, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to start sounding less mechanical, but that's not to say you might not enjoy audio books rather than TTS. Check your library for audio book download availability as well as CDs. There are other sources of free audio books, too. Check out the thread --

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef__np?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=2&cdThread=TxKKH2ZGEB65CG#CustomerDiscussionsNew

Personally, I'd recommend an iPod or MP3 player for audio books. The SanDisk Clip Zip player is on sale for forty bucks right now and it's much more portable than an e-book reader. Also, if you decide to join Audible, they sometimes have a hundred dollars off select devices with a one-year membership though I'd still recommend checking out your library before making a commitment.

SanDisk Sansa Clip Zip 4GB MP3 Player, Blue With Full-Color Display, MicroSDHC Card Slot and Stopwatch- SDMX22-004G-A57B (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Jun 29, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions