Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Google ChromCast for KINDLE FIRE

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 61 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 13, 2013 7:21:40 PM PST
Jon says:
Has anyone had success using Google ChromCast for streaming from their Kindle Fire HD (7"). It sounds great, but the attempt to beat out the other (Kindle vs Google), I can't stand the inability to access/use so many Android Apps etc..

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2013 8:02:15 PM PST
A. Dietz says:
Google Chromecast is not compatible with Kindle Fires and you can't get Amazon videos on Google Chromecast.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2013 8:15:52 PM PST
Carbonbased says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2013 8:20:08 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Yes it is compatible with the Fires you just have to download the app from a different store. Search the reviews for Chromecast for Kindle Fires.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2013 8:40:24 PM PST
Tinker-bella says:
As Jazzy_Jeff pointed out, it is possible to sideload the Chromecast app to the Fire HD. However, the actual functionality is rather limited, because as A. Dietz pointed out, you will not be able to use it to watch Amazon Instant (or Prime) Videos.

If you have the first generation Fire HD, you are better off buying the micro HDMI cable to connect to your HDTV. If using Chromecast is important to you (even though their app selection is REALLY limited right now), I would suggest sticking with another Android tablet or phone.

Posted on Dec 13, 2013 8:49:13 PM PST
M. Kean says:
Won't apps like Netflix that have chromecast support baked in work fine? As well as HBO and Hulu? Basically anything that supports chromecast that is also allowed in the amazon store.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2013 8:58:03 PM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I'm not sure. I haven't played with it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2013 9:00:27 PM PST
Tinker-bella says:
Chromecast currently supports Netflix, YouTube, HuluPlus, HBO Go, and Pandora.

They are launching support for photos and videos from Facebook, Dropbox, Picasa, and some other random apps I'm unfamiliar with. They will also be launching RealPlayer to cast locally stored content as well.

Posted on Dec 19, 2013 8:55:15 PM PST
hi
I just purchased a kindle HDX 8.9 and can confirm the Netflix, Hulu and Pandora apps will talk to my chromecast. As of this post HBO GO does not play to my chromecast.
This also true on my Kindle Fire HD 1st gen.

Posted on Dec 24, 2013 1:57:53 PM PST
So frustrating. Guess you need roku for amazon prime streaming. Also the chromecast isn't as small as it appears especially after you need extra power source. Does not directly power through grim jack. Good news though . Ps3 and 2013 Samsung tvs are compatible with fire for streaming. No device needed. Time to take back my tv and my chromecast. Ugh. Wish I knew all this prior

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2013 8:51:31 AM PST
Lexi Z says:
Why would you be married to any ecosystem? Why limit yourself?

Posted on Dec 25, 2013 8:31:49 PM PST
K. Wilson says:
Don't mean to state the what some of you may already know, but... The Kindle already has support for screen-casting. It is called Miracast. Miracast is an open standard and overseen by the Wi Fi Alliance . Televisions are already on the market with built-in support for Miracast. Windows 8.1 also supports Miracast. If your television doesn't have built-in support for Miracast, you can buy adapters which plug into an HDMI port. One of the advantages of Miracast is that >anything< which is displayed on your computer / tablet screen will be displayed on your television. It doesn't require any modifications to existing applications to work; unlike Chromecast whereby only applications specially modified can be screen-casted (which is a serious design flaw).

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 12:36:28 PM PST
N. Wolter says:
I can only stream Netflix and YouTube from my Kindle HD. HuluPlus app doesn't show the small icon indicating cast. So far, disappointing in its functionality.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2013 12:40:34 PM PST
Mike Smith says:
Maybe you need the HuluPlus app from the Google store instead of the one from the Amazon app store?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2013 3:37:30 PM PST
Jon says:
Do you know of/recommend any Miracast adapters that will work well with Kindle Fire HD? Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2013 5:09:32 PM PST
A. Dietz says:
The Kindle Fire HD doesn't have Miracast capabilities.

This one is certified for use with the Kindle HDX: NETGEAR Push2TV Wireless Display HDMI Adapter with Miracast (PTV3000) Certified for use with Kindle Fire HDX

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2014 12:34:18 PM PST
Susan Hughes says:
I was able to add an extension using laptop in order to use chromecast with my kindle fire. Trying to figure out HBO GO so for chromecast.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2014 12:37:44 PM PST
Susan Hughes says:
Yes, I followed steps to ad extension using laptop. Went to check out chromecast and Netflix works on chromecast using kindle. Now I want HBO GO on chromecast.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2014 1:50:13 PM PST
Can you tell me what app you use for youtube? I've seen so many different ones, I just don't know which one to try. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2014 7:43:36 PM PST
funmaster says:
What extension did you use?

Posted on Jan 9, 2014 1:47:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2014 8:42:00 AM PST
Keenster says:
Chromecast connects normally to the TV via my HD Fire. When I start a video in Netflix on the Fire, the Netflix logo appears on the TV screen with the circling time symbol. However, the video never starts on the TV.
BTW, YT works fine.
Any ideas?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2014 7:29:25 AM PST
I have been able to loadChromecast and getting netflix (works beautifully) and youtube (little more wonky) working fine via my first generation kindle fire. Disappointed I cannot get Huluplus or hbogo to do likewise though. The icon simply does not appear even if I get the HBOgo and huluplus versions from stores other than amazon. Used this method: http://tinyurl.com/nuhjefu

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2014 7:45:34 AM PST
Mike Smith says:
You need the actual YouTube app, from Google Inc. You cannot get it in the Amazon App store. You'll have to sideload the one from Google Play or get it from 1mobile.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2014 7:47:54 AM PST
Mike Smith says:
Keenster: Don't know, maybe some sort of network issue? My uninformed gut call is that it's not a problem with the Kindle. I'd suggest contacting Google support.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2014 4:17:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 11, 2014 10:53:36 AM PST
Keenster says:
YouTube works fine, my problem is with Netflix.
PS: I get the same result when I run Netflix via my smartphone, so it is improbable that the Kindle is to blame
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  43
Total posts:  61
Initial post:  Dec 13, 2013
Latest post:  Dec 26, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 18 customers

Search Customer Discussions