Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Paperwhite wifi - turn off?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 62 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 12, 2012 2:22:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2012 2:07:01 PM PDT
Julie says:
Why is there no easy way to turn off the WiFi in the Paperwhite like the Kindle Keyboard? I can turn it on with no problem while reading but I have to go through hoops to get to the menu to turn it off.

Amazon, fix this!

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 2:26:45 AM PDT
If you want Amazon to hear you, e-mail kindle-feedback@amazon.com

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 2:31:26 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 2:38:20 AM PDT
JES says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 2:41:37 AM PDT
Julie says:
That is not the issue here. It's incredibly easy to turn the wifi off on my older Kindle.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 2:43:41 AM PDT
JES says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 2:46:47 AM PDT
Julie says:
What is the shortcut to turn the wifi off within a book? Without having to go back out to the main menu? That is what I would like to be able to do?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 2:48:26 AM PDT
JES says:

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 3:01:54 AM PDT
Kribu says:
Sometimes one wants to send stuff to their Kindle that they will read later (articles, personal documents) and don't necessarily want to exit the book just to turn the wifi on and then off again, especially if they're using collections and the book they're reading is in a collection somewhere.

It's not *difficult*, it's just several extra steps that those of us coming to Paperwhite from K3 aren't used to having to take every single time they just briefly want to turn wifi on so that a pre-order could come in or an article/document could be sent to it or whatever. Sure, one could also just let them queue up and then download them once the book is read, but that could be days and people forget, and...

If you are happy to always go to the main page, good for you - it would be a very welcome change for many others to get it back to the settings menu wherever you are, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 3:32:54 AM PDT
JES says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 3:41:18 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 4:59:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2012 5:03:00 AM PDT
Jeanine says:
I am completely with you on this. Defective screen aside, I think this is my biggest complaint. I did in fact write kindle feedback about it. No, it's not difficult, but to have to leave the book you're reading in order to turn off wi-fi is cerntainly not very convenient. The option used to be on the menu regardless of where you were in your kindle. Not sure why they would change that. As for someone saying leaving the wi-fi on doesn't change the battery life much, I already only get about 5 days of battery life. I need all the help I can get extending it, and I really don't like having to leave my book to turn off the wi-fi.

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 5:41:07 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
given that they've seen complaints about having to exit a book to turn the wifi off for about 6 months now...

don't hold your breath

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 5:56:45 AM PDT
SeaLevel274 says:
Phew! Thanks, I'd been holding mine.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 5:58:25 AM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 7:34:31 AM PDT
Jeanine says:
I didn't say it's too much trouble. I simply said it's not very convenient and I don't like having to leave the book to turn off wi-fi.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 2:07:19 PM PDT
Julie says:
Thanks for the email address.

Posted on Oct 12, 2012 3:24:48 PM PDT
patty1955 says:
Why are JES and Jazzy Jeff being asses? Is there a back-story that we don't know?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 3:38:54 PM PDT
Ed G says:
>>Women should not be aloud to

JES shouldn't be allowed to operate a keyboard until he learns how to spell allowed.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2012 9:51:32 PM PDT
JES says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2012 12:26:48 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
yes, there was a huge uproar and lots of people complaining (it obviously did absolutely no good to complain) about the Airplane Mode when it showed up on the Basic Kindle, and people a little tired of the umpteen posts a day from people who at first couldn't find how to turn off their wifi, then complaining about the extra clicks (far more clicks than taps required) needed to turn it off on the Basic Kindle

It's way easier on the Paperwhite than the Basic Kindle, so...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2012 2:32:25 AM PDT
JES says:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2012 6:13:09 AM PDT
Julie, I agree, the wifi on/off (airplane mode) switch should be more readily available.

I didn't realize how much I use that thing until I started reading on my PW and had to tap-tap-tap my way to the switch. Not the end of the world, but not good UI design either.

I sent an email to Kindle Feedback to suggest they improve this in a future software update.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 2:12:57 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 17, 2012 2:35:00 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 2:18:17 PM PST
Tap the Menu icon (3 horizontal lines at the top right) then Settings, Airplane Mode.

Airplane Mode ON is WiFi OFF.
Airplane Mode OFF is WiFi ON.

You can now reach Settings, even if a book is open. When this thread was started, 2 months ago, that option wasn't there. It was added in a recent update.

Have you looked at the User Manual for the Paperwhite? That information could be found there also.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  62
Initial post:  Oct 12, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 4, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions