Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

kindle fire hd 16 gb or 32gb

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 97 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 9, 2012 4:28:31 PM PDT
A customer says:
I am looking at picking up the new kindle fire hd. But i am not sure if i should get 16 gb or 32 gb because I am kind of tight money wise. any thoughts?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 4:30:48 PM PDT
IMHO only get the greater memory if you plan on storing a lot of videos on your device.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 4:33:48 PM PDT
A customer says:
How much space does the average movie take up?

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 4:36:23 PM PDT
mmmm 2-3 Gb or so.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 4:38:56 PM PDT
Just Theo says:
I agree with OR. I have a lot of Amazon videos but went with the smaller memory since I can swap out movies using Wii do or via computer. I used to store a lot of movies on my devices, but never watched half of them. I've learned to save money on memory and just download what I need.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 4:39:16 PM PDT
A customer says:
WOW! alot more than i expected i want to have a good amount of apps and some music how much space do you think that will be taking up

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 4:41:10 PM PDT
When I first bought the 8GB Fire I went crazy with downloading games, storing books, and used up all the spaces quickly. Then I realized that it was not the smart way to go so I deleted all seldom played games, store books on the cloud, and just watch Prime videos. This has worked well for me. I think there's no point carrying a whole Library of Congress with you all the time. The books (*.mobi file format) are small and you can easily store 100 of your fav books. If you start storing HD movies on your KindleHD then even 32GB wont be enough. Use it wisely.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 4:43:17 PM PDT
Just Theo says:
I have a ton of apps on have more than half of my 8 gig space on my thrive. I'll have to look on my phone for music. B R B

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 4:44:54 PM PDT
A customer says:
So if you just rent movies through instant video and prime you wont use up any space

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 4:48:40 PM PDT
To my knowledge, the storage can't be user-upgraded so you're locked in at whatever you purchase. With that in mind, my experience over the years is that software products always take up more and more storage as time progresses. I always err on the side of the largest available storage to "future-proof."

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 4:49:57 PM PDT
A customer says:
I think sixteen is the way to go because books and apps etc. don't take up much space and 32 isn't worth an extra fifty bucks when you can use some to that to buy books and apps.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 4:49:58 PM PDT
I agree with Rocker on this. I personally am home 95% of the time so any video I watch is streamed with wifi. I don't need the room that an avid movie watcher who travels out of wifi range frequently needs. If I were, I would have gone for greater storage. (BTW...I think the cost for double the storage is quite reasonable. Just don't need it.)

I do have lots of apps, some utilities and a lot of games but usually only keep the utility apps and 15 or 20 of my current favorite games and about 300 books on my current Fire and still have plenty of free onboard storage, so the 16gb suited my need with room to spare.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 4:50:30 PM PDT
Music, roughly 400 songs per Gb. Books, roughly 1000 per Gb. Remember, you have the Cloud for storing the media you buy from Amazon.

Like Cuong, I remove any apps, etc., that I'm not using and leave them in the Cloud.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 4:51:40 PM PDT
that's correct. but beware of the time limits on the movies. You have to finish them within 24 hours of renting (some are 48 hours). Of course, Prime has a lot of free movies.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 4:55:15 PM PDT
A customer says:
I'm still on edge, because i dont know if i should just spend the money for 32 gb just to be safe or go for the 16 gb and have an extra fifty bucks to spend on content for my kindle fire????

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 4:58:34 PM PDT
Sleep on it and see how you feel about it tomorrow.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 5:02:11 PM PDT
Just Theo says:
I have about 800 songs on my phone and they take up around 3 gigs.

Yes, you can stream the movies and it won't use up your storage, but it will use your data if you are using a mobile hotspot. I usually buy the movie, download it on my device from home or where there's free wi-fi and remove it when I am done. Just because as OR said, it has a time limit to watch it.

I know that some people don't like cloud storage, but I really love it. I used to be one of those people that always wanted the most memory I could get and I've really learned to pair it down since I started using the cloud.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 5:03:39 PM PDT
just an aside, the industry is moving to cloud storage and, for me, have found it beneficial to simply adapt now instead of waiting for non-cloud options to disappear.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 5:06:39 PM PDT
jsh1120 says:
Just one correction, Old Rocker. The rental clock starts when you begin watching a movie (24-48 hours), not when you initially rent it. That was a change in the Amazon policy implemented some months ago to enable folks to rent a film before leaving home and watch it later.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 5:19:17 PM PDT
cool, thank you. I know there were some complaints about it.

Posted on Sep 9, 2012 5:26:38 PM PDT
Kris says:
On the 7" Fire the specs say, "16GB internal storage (approximately 12.6GB available for user content) or 32GB internal storage (approximately 26.9GB available for user content)" which means you don't really have 16GB for your own use. They do not say this on the 8.9" model, but I suppose that it also has to use some of its internal storage for processes? I decided for the 32GB (or 26.9, as the case may be).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 5:36:35 PM PDT
IMHO; take a look at what this device will do for you BESIDES store movies, books and audio. Then figure what you'll use if for BESIDES entertainment. Skype?? Business Doc's? Photos. That will help tell you what memory to buy.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 5:43:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 9, 2012 5:50:59 PM PDT
jsh1120 says:
Jeri,

It's an industry practice of long standing to quote drive capacity without taking into consideration the space required for the operating system, formatting, and some other internal files necessary for the operation of the device. It can be confusing to consumers but competitive pressures long ago led to the practice.

You can assume that a larger device (in screen size) will require slightly more "reserved" space than a smaller unit, but not by much. And you can assume that a larger storage capacity will likewise reserve a slightly larger space than a smaller unit, but again, not by much. The biggest component of the "reserved" space is the operating system itself and that remains the same regardless of the size of a screen and the size of the storage.

P.S. By the way, folks, try to keep in mind that your storage needs will vary according to the number of devices you use on a regular basis. I have over 500 gigabytes on my home computer but I don't need to duplicate everything on every other device I have. In fact, doing so only increases the burden of keeping everything sync'ed.

There is such a thing as having too much storage, much like trying to furnish several mansions. If you have only a single device, it makes sense to purchase as much storage as you can possibly afford. But if you have several devices, ask yourself what you expect to do with each one and which you expect to be the "master copy" center. If you "over buy" storage for every device you may find that the "freedom" you thought you purchased may have produced a disorganized mess.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 6:22:51 PM PDT
Just Theo says:
Indeed. I use my phone as an mp3 player because I always have my phone with me and having my music everywhere I go is important to me. I only needed enough space to store apps, pictures (although I upload all these into picassa and don't need a device that stores them, really) and to hold all the music that I actually listen to, and some that I don't listen to.

I have no need to store my music on my tablet, since I listed to music primarily through my phone, and as I said, my phone is always with me.

My phone screen is too small to enjoy a movie on, so I focus on putting my favorite movies on my tablet and skip storing music on the tablet. I only need enough space to have 3 or 4 movies (maybe more when my daughter gets older), apps, and some music if I happen to want to use the tablet as my stereo. I don't need enough space to carry all my movies, especially since I have access to the cloud and can install and remove as I need, (same with the music).

As long as I have access to installing my files through my computer and/or the cloud, I only get enough storage to hold what I will actually be using.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 9:00:24 PM PDT
Kris says:
jsh1120--
I understand the industry practice of quoting drive capacity. As you say, it can be confusing. I do believe it is worthwhile pointing out that if one purchases the 16GB Kindle, they are actually only going to have approximately 13GB available for their own use. It could impact which device they choose to buy. Past experience with the discussion board would indicate that Kindles are often loaded up for use on vacations, etc. For those times when our other devices are not available a little extra storage space will be welcome. My personal experience with multiple devices is that "over-buying" storage capacity is never a mistake.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Kindle life span 52 31 seconds ago
Downloading to a computer to transfer to a Kindle. 11 4 minutes ago
Returning Kindle Unlimited books without requesting new books 0 24 minutes ago
In error purchase on 7/26/16 2 25 minutes ago
Potentially Perky People - Part Deux 7795 31 minutes ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 5760 38 minutes ago
Billing 1 44 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 4043 59 minutes ago
Oasis Giveaway Update 94 1 hour ago
86th RAoK - Let the Games Begin 2294 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  97
Initial post:  Sep 9, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 24, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions