Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle Fire 10" Screen???

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 2, 2011 10:57:20 AM PDT
"Big A" says:
Am I the only one wishing for a Kindle Fire with a 10" screen? Has anyone heard anything concrete about a Kindle Fire with a 10" screen?

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 10:58:09 AM PDT
SeaLevel274 says:
No and no.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 11:15:33 AM PDT
Tech sites are saying the 10" Amazon tablet has been delayed and will not be available until early 2012.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 11:17:34 AM PDT
What EC said.

I found the iPad a little heavy and like the 7in of the Fire but I'll be getting the 10in next year because my husband likes the bigger tablet.

Our iPad 1 will be retired then ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 11:27:36 AM PDT
Anne Shirley says:
I am wishing for an Amazon 10" tablet. I don't particularly want it to have a "Kindle" association - which it seems Amazon intends to gear solely towards consumption of movies, music and books sold by Amazon - which is all well and good, but I won't be buying anything that is not a full Android tablet in every sense of the word and not "just" an Amazon content downloading device.

If the next tablet is indeed just a 10" clone of the Fire (which I doubt it will be if Jeff is smart, which one has to assume he is) with only the Fire's functionality & capabilities - no, thanks.

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 11:29:18 AM PDT
Jo MW says:
I've read a few rumors that a larger Amazon tablet might still be released this year, but it's nothing I'd count on.

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 11:47:34 AM PDT
Robert B. says:
Amazon's business is selling content and products, that's where their money comes from. For them to produce just another entry in the Android clone tablet market would be stupid. Making a tab that attaches you to that content, just as Apple has done with the is exactly the right move for them. It's the content that sells the device, that's why Apple's iTunes and app store keep the iPad king. As long as they come up with a ten inch device with much more memory and possibly SD card expansion, they'll have a winner.

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 12:19:58 PM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
I'm skeptical that this will happen. The 7" Fire will accomplish most of what Amazon wants from the device -- a hardware product to create synergy for Amazon's digital products, making them easy to buy and use.

Everybody wants a 10" tablet for reasons that will serve them, but do nothing for Amazon. Amazon isn't in the hardware business the way Apple is. Selling a 10" tablet that lets users run productivity apps, create content, use video communication apps, etc. doesn't leverage any of Amazon's digital services. So they would have to price such a tablet so as to be profitable from Day One. And we've seen company after company fail trying to do this.

My point: don't assume the 10" Fire will happen. There are plenty of reasons it might not.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 12:31:17 PM PDT
Anne Shirley says:
Agreed it might not happen (although they are being assembled, that much is known). What will be offered in the future will be based on the current Fire's sales figures.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 12:50:20 PM PDT
M. McCoy says:
Couldn't have said it better myself. re: the Kindle family of products and what their intended to do. Amazon is first & foremost a digital content service (as well as an online 'shopping center').

Amazon is doing *exactly* the right thing by offering a product that simply makes it easy to shop, order and use their content. Nothing else. With the Fire they are expanding beyond eBooks to include multimedia content (music & movies).

I've wanted a Kindle for a while. I just didn't want to be an early adopter and pay big $$ for a device to basically fund their way into the market. Instead I've been waiting on them to mature enough to adopt the 'Gillette marketing strategy', i.e. basically give away the razor then sell the blades.

Looks like they've finally done that with products at a fair price for what they are intending it for. I now have 3 Kindles (Kindle, Touch & Fire) on order.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 12:57:23 PM PDT
Chele says:
Let' hope they have one. Or I won't know what is an amazing form factor!
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/09/29/foxconn_may_produce_amazon_10_1_tablet_after_having_passed_on_kindle_fire.html

Posted on Oct 18, 2011 10:36:10 AM PDT
I know 6 people just in my family that would really want a 10" screen. So they are waiting. I was hoping for Christmas so I could buy all them a gift. But, I guess then it's not coming until next year right? What a bummer.

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 6:18:34 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 7, 2011 12:27:36 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 6:38:23 AM PST
BK says:
What's your source? I haven't seen Amazon announce anything beyond the Fire.

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 6:55:43 AM PST
Jpalm32 says:
Kindle DX horrible product. Bought it and was amazed that a product designed for a single purpose to "READ" had awful layout, tiny "TINY" keyboard, ..
Bought for my mother, couldn't believe the simple function of turning the page & bookmarking were awful.
I will look at larger format Fire if it come out. Pric isn't as important as functinalty to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 6:58:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2011 6:59:02 AM PST
R. D. Clark says:
Amazon has announced no such thing. A tech blog (one that's wrong more often than it's right) floated a rumor. Several other reports repeated that rumor and, as usual, tried to make it into something it isn't.

Now someone in a forum says "They have announced."

See how this crap works?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 7:04:46 AM PST
"single purpose to "READ" had awful layout, tiny "TINY" keyboard, .."

Why did you put the words read and tiny in caps and quotation marks? Also, if the single purpose of the DX is to read, as you admit to, why would it matter how big the keyboard is?

"Pric isn't as important as functinalty to me."

Spelling and punctuation don't seem to be high on your daily priority list either.

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 11:07:34 AM PST
Jay says:
the notion or "rumor" as some call it, about a 10" was out when they were talking about the 7", even prior to the official announcement.. I would say look for the 10" around February :)

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 3:03:26 PM PST
Me, I'm waiting for the 32" screen.

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 3:06:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2011 3:06:59 PM PST
M. McCoy says:
And I'm waiting on a 7" iPod Touch. Of course it will be more expensive than a Fire. I don't care

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 4:10:16 PM PST
Q says:
Nobody knows. Nobody knows .... except a few Amazon R&D employees and other suppliers under a non-disclosure agreement, and they're not talking.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 4:12:49 PM PST
Q says:
Well, if you're going to forget portable, why not go whole-hog?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2011 4:23:29 PM PST
R. D. Clark says:
OK, so it's an *old* rumor. Still a rumor.

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 3:03:08 PM PST
Linda Davis says:
Has anyone heard how much the 10" Kindle Fire will be?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2011 10:54:57 PM PST
Q says:
Linda,
No one even knows for sure if there will be a 10" Fire or when that may be.

All guesses so far.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 Dec 15, 2014
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
ECHO's of Friendship 135 49 seconds ago
Amazon Echo 2392 1 minute ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Home of Super Hero Sisters, Panama, Many Furry Friends, Featuring Fat Jane the Spanx Wearing Goat, and Cherie! It's the Apocalypse! 2478 1 minute ago
Switching amazon accounts on a Kindle 2 2 minutes ago
RAoK 79/80 - Tis the Season, and the end of the year! 9618 2 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 2747 5 minutes ago
Al's Place 35mm 5970 7 minutes ago
Conversations with Echo 584 9 minutes ago
OT: Discussion - (Freebie Books Links Only) 2932 13 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  27
Initial post:  Oct 2, 2011
Latest post:  Jan 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions