Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

My first KINDLE's typing pad is so worn out I can't read it anymore. Is there any option for this? I have 2 other kindles but the e-reader is my favorite for just reading.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 12, 2013 8:42:55 PM PST
It looks like this, but was one of first e-readers out. Kindle Keyboard 3G

Posted on Nov 12, 2013 8:45:58 PM PST
Artist says:
This will make your keyboard even clearer than it was when it was new:

http://www.amazon.com/InvisibleDefenders-Amazon-keyholes-Keyboard-MAT-kindle3-NOKEY-673/dp/B004WW3LYO/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1384317885&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=nokey+skins+graphite

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2013 8:59:53 PM PST
WONDERFUL. Ordered! I don't suppose there's anyway to update the screen, too, so I can read in the dark? The "nightlights" don't work for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2013 9:01:59 PM PST
Bixillarla says:
Nope. That would require adding hardware which is not doable as a do it yourself kind of thing.

You will have to use the book lights or get a paperwhite for night time reading.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2013 9:34:33 PM PST
Artist says:
I use an Octovo Solis light on mine, but it doesn't look like they're being sold any more on Amazon. I tried lots of lights and that was the only one that I liked. Sorry.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2013 10:02:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2013 10:03:32 PM PST
Jay says:
I have a Kindle Keyboard but hardly ever use the keys on it. I have the font size set, and read text on it occasionally. Mostly I use it to play Audible e-books with. That mainly uses the 5-Way button. If I want to order something, I do so on my notebook computer, and send it to my KK. The keys on my unit are still very readable. Once you fix the decals, or otherwise fix the keys on your unit, consider using them less often; as I do. I have a small bedside table lamp with a low wattage bulb, and a shade, to read by in bed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2013 11:00:09 PM PST
Artist says:
Not all of the graphite KKs had the problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2013 1:01:17 PM PST
I suppose I'll have to get a paperwhite or use my Kindle Fire for reading. I am also getting the new Kindle HDX. But I really do prefer to read with the e-reader as I like how the pages turn and how easy it is on my eyes.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2013 2:09:02 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2013 2:23:09 PM PST
Carbonbased says:
Best of luck with the NoKey skin, it's a great fix for worn-off letters. I'm wondering about your statement that it 'looks like' a K3, but was an earlier model? There was a K2 that was just enough bigger that a K3 skin won't help you. If yours is graphite, it's a K3, but if it's white, it could be either a K2 or a K3.

ETA: Just to clarify--the K2 had a little square joystick for navigation that leaned for navigation and pressed in for selection. The K3 had the square flat nav pad with the raised collar.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2013 2:39:08 PM PST
The K2 also has a row of numbers whereas the K3/KK does not.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2013 2:42:31 PM PST
I use a Belkin light that attaches to the case, has 2 rows of led lights and a low and high setting. About $25- $29 at Walmart. Got 2 on e-bay for $9.00 each

Posted on Nov 14, 2013 2:59:49 PM PST
LOL, how confusing! Well I'll get the cover any time now! My e-reader also has the "experimental" feature of Text-to-Speech that the newer paperwhites don't have. That is one reason I purchased it long ago. I rarely need the keyboard since it's all set up. They don't seem to make this one any more. I have such luck! I bought the Kindle Fire ... and a few months later they came out with the Kindle HD, discontinuing my version and too late for trade-in!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Error: network_error 3 1 minute ago
July 2016 Informal Poll -- What are you reading? 178 5 minutes ago
What happened to the site https://kindle.amazon.com/your_reading?? 16 9 minutes ago
Why are paperwhites more expensive than the tablets? 40 15 minutes ago
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 4199 19 minutes ago
remove a name 5 20 minutes ago
network error 9 33 minutes ago
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The Answers Are Blowing In The Wind 1584 37 minutes ago
How to disable "On Deck"? 13 40 minutes ago
Al's Place 36 Degrees of Separation 2428 55 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Nov 12, 2013
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions