Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books and Chat Mon Mar 18, 2013

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 160 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 18, 2013 12:01:59 AM PDT
Leo Little says:
Welcome to Free books and Chat. come on in and browse through the links there are always lots of free books. Have a seat in our overstuffed chairs and put you feet up on the hassocks as settle yourself in to read the latest treasure you've dredged up out of thousands of free indie publishers or perhaps you were lucky enough to catch one of your favorite well know author's book while it was free.

There's coffee, tea and hot chocolate in the decanters on the counter. There's a variety of freshly baked jelly and cream filled doughnuts apple fritters and maple bars on the counter. Ice cold milk is in the fridge beneath.

http://www.freebooksifter.com/?c=11&p=9

Ereaderiq:
http://www.ereaderiq.com/freebies/

Dailyfreebooks:
dailyfreebooks.com

eReaderPerks:
www.eReaderPerks.com

eReaderLove:
ereaderlove.com

Heidoc:
http://www.heidoc.net/amazon/subscribe.php?department=MYSTHR&sort=TITLE&newtitles=on&GO=GO
(use the dropdown menu at the top to find other categories of Fiction as well as Non-Fiction)

Gizmo's Freeware:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/50-places-free-books-online.htm

Please come back and tell us what you get from the free links. Or if you've read a previously Free book drop in and tell what you thought of it...

If you missed a chapter follow the link below.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2POZW4CQs5ZSmlYalZjOW1iRzg/edit?usp=sharing

SHANE

Heart pounding in my chest, I tried to get up, but something was wrong with my legs. They didn't bend right, and I only managed to get to my hands and...
Where the hail are my knees?
I could feel my toenails digging into the fabric of my tennis shoes, as my feet tried to find traction on the loose fitting leather sole. I pushed off with my hands, trying once again to stand, but only managed to lift my body a foot before I fell back onto pack to my paws.
Paws?
I looked down, stunned as the moonlight glistened over the dark fur, covering everything except a small patch on my belly. The scream in my throat came out as high pitched howl that ended in a whimper.
My gaze lifted to John, whose stance indicated he meant to chase me down if I ran. I shook myself, leaving my clothing in a jumbled pile as instincts warned me to crawl closer to the larger wolf.
His golden eyes met my upward gaze, opening a door in my mind.
I smell a rabbit. Hunt with me, Shane, and then I will answer the questions I see forming in your mind.
But...
Grrr. You must set your mind to learning your new form, follow me and keep your mind open. If you let me, I will show you what it means to be a wolf.
Sensing my acceptance, John turned his tail to me and took off. I followed, holding to the link we shared. I felt his muscles bunch and thrust as my body mimicked his. There were no words in this instruction. It was like our minds had become one. When he sniffed the air, I caught a thousand scents and more, letting his mind put pictures to each one, as I stored them in my brain.
One scent singled itself out from the others as we gained speed, nearly flying across an open meadow. I no longer followed in John's footsteps, but rather at his side. Still linked, we ran in an angling pattern that allowed us to corner and kill our prey.
Closing in on our quarry, we halted, lowering to our bellies on either side as we edged out from the cover of the trees. Again no words passed between us, but I knew what was expected or I should say my body knew, and it responded to the commands John gave. I saw in his mind's eye as he crept into place, blocking the entrance to the rabbit's warren. Responding to the unspoken commands, I leapt from behind the tree, barking and snapping as I chased the rabbit toward its home.
John sprang up in front of us and snatched the frightened creature out of the air, shaking it between his teeth until it hung like a rag doll from his bloody mouth.
I sat back on my haunches and watched, my stomach growling as John ripped open the soft belly with his teeth and sank his muzzle into the warm blood.
Holding the carcass with his front paws he tore out a chunk of dark red meat and wolfed it down.
My tongue slipped out between my teeth, dampening my nose and lips as I waited for John to finish. My stomach growled again, bringing a whine to my throat. John stepped back a pace and I darted forward, burying my muzzle to my eyes in the flesh of the fat rabbit. Its warm blood tasted both salty and sweet as I bit down tearing meat from the bones. I couldn't remember tasting anything quite so good. The soft chewy flesh slid down my throat and I ripped away more flesh, continuing until all that was left was a mat of bloody fur and bones.
Leaving the rest of the mangled rabbit, I sensed that John was ready to run. His muscles gathered and released as both of us sprang into motion. We followed the creek south out of the Wild life area, bounding over split railed fences or stopping to crawl under barbed wire when it block our path.
John was taking me somewhere, but I couldn't see anything except the trail he followed. We climbed the lower hills of the Buttes-a small mountain range in the middle of the Sacramento Valley-and crossed over through a pass to the inner circle of the range. We ran on, surrounded on all sides by the hills as if this were one giant mountain and we were in the caldera of an ancient volcano.
We continued on, angling toward the tallest of the peaks.
John came to a halt at a near vertical face. Spirit Mountain.
What are we doing here? I asked.
I sensed your questions of what you are and where you came from.
I lowered onto my belly, resting my head on my paws, which signaled to John that I was ready to listen.
We are an ancient race, older than the humans from whom we now take our first form. We came here through a portal that lies behind this wall of stone.
We're aliens? I asked.
Not really, but humans would call us aliens if they knew our history. For now we are called Skinwalkers by Native Americans and Were Beasts by other cultures.
You mean I'm a Werewolf? I'm not going to go crazy and kill everyone, every time there's a full moon am I?
Grr. Hollywood has made that name a curse, and no you're not some half-crazed monster. I prefer the name Skinwalker to werewolf, but our true name is the Antawa. We can take on the form of earth's animals, but most of us only develop two forms. You and I are wolves. Sarah comes from the snake clan and others have taken the panther or mountain lion in this area and I have heard of monkeys and eagles.
I lifted my muzzle into the air turning to gaze at the silvery disc overhead. So what's with the full moon then?
We did not come to earth first when we came through the gateway from our native home. The moon was our home for thousands of years until the Kachina also came through. It was different then-a twin to the earth with water and creatures of its own.
What happened?
No one knows for sure, some blame the Kachina for allowing the dragons through their portal, but I have uncovered evidence that some of our own people tried to return to our native home beyond the dimensional portal. I believe they are the ones who set the dragons free, destroying our home on the moon.
We can never go back?
No... hold still it is almost time.
Time for wh-My thoughts were cut short as the rock face in front of us shimmered under the light of the full moon. An archway of deep blue light appeared within the stone and remained for five minutes before it faded to the dark face of jagged stone.
John continued. Only the Kachina can open the gate at will, but it opens on its own at the apex of every full moon. The dragons can not come through unless they possess a human.
I lifted to my haunches and pointed my muzzle toward the moon, feeling once again that longing feeling of something lost ages ago. Before I knew it, a song broke from my throat. It echoed into the higher registers that I wouldn't have heard in my human form. John joined in adding his lower timber which gave the song a richness I felt from nose to tail. I would never refer to it as "howling at the moon" again.
The end came as suddenly as the beginning. I was so caught up in the array of pictures each note brought that I wanted it to go on forever. I saw another world vibrant with colors. Blue clouds decorated a purple sky which turned burnt orange at the setting of the sun. A full earth lifted over emerald oceans filled with life.
Lowering myself back to the rocky soil, I laid my head between my front paws. It was almost too much to believe, but then so was the fact that I changed into a wolf. I huffed a long sigh as the things John told me hit a snag in my logic.
If the dragon can only come to this dimension by possessing a human how did they destroy the moon? I asked.
The people of the moon called themselves the Orabi.
The image I saw from Johns mind look like the grey aliens from Roswell, New Mexico. Antennae wavered atop oversized heads with bulbous, multifaceted eyes. They had ultra thin bodies that divided below the waist like an ant, with short legs and longer than human arms that almost touched the ground when they walked.
They lived underground rather than above. Our ancestors were born to the Orabi form just as we were born as humans-our first form, so when they escaped here through the gate they met the natives of this land, giving birth to the legends of people from outer space.
Are there any of the Orabi left?
We couldn't take that chance. Dragon possession reached epidemic proportions. We couldn't allow them to get a foothold in this dimension. They are creatures of energy and so they convert everything around them to its simplest form-raw energy.
A cold slimy feeling climbed from my bowels and settled in my chest as an idea took shape in my mind. What the hail did they do?
John's head hung low as if he too were ashamed. They joined with the Kachina and channeled all the energy from the moon, transferring it here in the form of salt water.
How could they kill an entire planet?
They had no choice. The possessed Orabi began building ships to reach the sun-the only place here that the dragons could live on their own. From there they would have infected all the stars in this universe linking every atom until they exploded in a universe wide supernova that would convert all matter to energy from which it was formed.
I understood why my ancestors had destroyed their last home, but it still didn't sit right with me. All those people, the animals, even the water was ripped from one world and shifted to another. I felt a growl rise through my chest as I bared my teeth at the injustice I felt for a people long dead.
Blame the one who opened the gate, not those who had to stop the invasion.
There is nothing we can do about the past. Or is there?
What has been done cannot be undone. We cannot change the past, but we can learn from it.
Wait a minute. You said earlier that the dragons can possess humans.
They have in the past. The dragons learn from their past as well and so they secretly possessed a nation. They almost succeeded in building a spaceship, before we caught them and once again we had to annihilate all who were possessed. You may have read about the Mayans in school.
We took out the Mayans? How?
We didn't the Kachina did. They created spheres around the Mayan colonies and shifted the dimensional space within to that of the dragons' world. Humans could no more live there than the dragons can live here.
Still appalled at the drastic action that was needed, I swallowed the growls I felt forming in my throat. I had learned early that blame only prolonged problems, it never solved them. What are we doing now to prevent another outbreak?
All the portals around the world are owned and guarded by Skinwalkers. The Kachina can open a gate anywhere, but they are watched over by spirit warriors to keep them in check.
Come the gate is closed. Our duty is done for this night.
I guess then I have only one more question. Why didn't you just tell me all of this instead of scaring me half to death?
John's tongue lolled to the side in a crooked smile. You would not have believed me. Besides, changing forms requires a high volume of adrenaline. We've found that fear coupled with the sight of one's blood produces the best effect for first timers. I'm afraid our methods are also responsible for some of the werewolf myths. I would have bitten you that first night if hadn't passed out.

**************** @ S. King Thanks for helping me with my edits ****************

** SPECIAL MESSAGE TO AUTHORS **
You are welcome to join us for conversation, however, self-promotion or posting a link to your book in this area is against Amazon's TOS. Please go to the "Meet Our Authors" area for that, as many of us do check there as well.
THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING THE RULES!

Starter Schedule:

Robb - Tuesday, March 19, Start Time 11pm PST
Courtney - Wednesday, March 20 Start Time 11pm-ish EST
Zoo Keeper - Thursday, March 21, Start Time by 6:00am EST
Lover of Books - Friday, March 22, Start Time: 12:30am PST
Susan - Saturday, March 23 by 6:30 am EST
NC Kathy - Sunday, March 24 Start Time around 12:00am EST
Leo - Monday, March 25, Start Time 12:00am PST
Robb - Tuesday, March 26, Start Time 11pm PST
Lover of Books - Friday, March 29, Start Time: 12:30am PST
Susan - Saturday, March 30 by 6:30 am EST
NC Kathy - Sunday, March 31 Start Time around 12:00am EST
Snowlady Sandy- April 2 Start Time 12:30 PST

Open Dates:
Wednesday, March 27
Thursday, March 28
Monday April 1
Wednesday April 3
Thursday April 4
Friday April 5

*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆*。
...........................Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter...........................
......Choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info......
......................If you have the desire, but not the knowledge, please ask.......................
We are happy to give you the confidence boost and the knowledge to create a start.
.................................................Thank You.....................................................
*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆*。

Hugs and prayers go out to all those who care for loved ones...as well as those who suffer through painful diseases / injuries...I hope that you find comfort and peace of mind.

Yesterday's link
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_rvt_np?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdPage=6&cdThread=Tx305C3TGTOGH34#CustomerDiscussionsNew

Birthday and Anniversary / Template / States - abbreviations and time zones / Slang / How To link. *

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=46D686309DF8EC54!304&authkey=!AI1-59L9q8AbjRA

Leo

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 1:04:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2013 1:05:40 AM PDT
Good Morning all.. Leo, Thanks for starting us with the next part of your story .
From my wishlist
DIVA (A Frank Renzi mystery)
Murder, music and sexual obsession in New Orleans.
Vol. 2 in the Frank Renzi mystery series.

Beautiful and talented, Belinda Scully wants to be a star. But fame can be dangerous. Fourteen months post-Katrina, an armed ex-military man is after her. This ruthless stalker will do anything to have her: blackmail, kidnapping, even murder.

When Belinda rejects him, he vows revenge. After kidnapping her, he terrorizes her in a vacant Katrina-ravaged house. Will NOPD Detective Frank Renzi find the feisty flutist in time?

A stalker, a kidnapping, revenge and murder. DIVA has it all. See the devastation Hurricane Katrina brought to New Orleans. Experience the fear of a talented teenaged jazz saxophone player badgered by drug dealers. Travel to London with Belinda where she plays a solo concert.

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 1:35:31 AM PDT
4Nbahu says:
To Elizabeth S H thank you so much for your gift of NOT FREE NOW Whack A Mole: A John Ceepak Mystery (The John Ceepak Mysteries) NOT FREE NOW. I don't know why you would grant me one of your specials, but I am grateful for the thought. This is a series that I have been seriously thinking of starting and you have given me the impetus to do so. Wishing you smooth sailing. Peace be with you.

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 1:41:41 AM PDT
4Nbahu says:
@ Leo thank you for another wonderful installment. I look forward to Monday because of you.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 2:23:43 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
@ Leo - yet again another wonderful start and story - we do so appreciate you

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 4:09:16 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
Is everyone still asleep ???......zzzzzzzzzzz

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 4:12:19 AM PDT
GrammaKathy says:
I'm awake and running out the door. BBL Have a great day everyone.

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 4:58:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2013 5:00:58 AM PDT
Historical fiction, Stackpole Publishing

Faded Coat of Blue

Shadows of Glory

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 5:13:17 AM PDT
NC Red Rose says:
Thank-you Leo . Wonderful start .

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 5:28:02 AM PDT
Suze says:
Thanks Leo!

I appreciate your talent. Glad that you share it with all of us!

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 5:29:17 AM PDT
Suze says:
@ BJ,

I hope your eye Dr. appt. goes well today.....please tell us what they have to say, ok?

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 6:07:08 AM PDT
Courtney says:
The peeps have spoken. The book for April is:
NOT FREE NOWDon't Let Me Go NOT FREE NOW

Out of curiosity, is this available to our non US friends? Or is it just Australia that's blocked?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 6:08:08 AM PDT
Golfer Girl says:
Thanks for the great start again this week Leo!!

BBL - RL calling :)

Roberta

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 6:27:53 AM PDT
Janine says:
Courtney not available here SA.
Thanks Leo for starting

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 6:29:37 AM PDT
Irish M says:
Thanks for another installment, Leo!

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 6:55:17 AM PDT
rickh57 says:
Free in honor of its 10th anniversary, The Da Vinci Code: A Novel (Robert Langdon).

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 7:01:47 AM PDT
LKS says:
Good Morning to all of my friends. Hope everyone of you have a wonderful day. RL has called and I have to answer. See you all later, today! (((((((to all))))));-)
Kay

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 7:09:22 AM PDT
Good morning all :) Thank you for the start, Leo.

Some of my book choices today:
Waiting for Summer's Return (Heart of the Prairie Book #1) - Kim Vogel Sawyer - Romance
Jasper's Gift (Sequel to Coming About) - Jan Tilley - Romance
Goddess Legacy: Goddess Series Book 1 (Young Adult / New Adult Series) - M. W. Muse - World Literature
The Fire Still Burns - Crystal-Rain Love - Romance
In a Moon Smile - Sherri Coner - Romance
The Land Without Footprints - Benjamin Grossman - Contemporary Fiction
Beyond Parallel - Matthew Turner - Romance
The Thief of Souls (Time for Alexander) - Jennifer Macaire - Romance
C-Shapes - Matthew Fish - Crime/Mystery/Thriller
Continuum - Susan Wu - Romance

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 7:10:44 AM PDT
Thanks for another great start Leo. Love your Monday stories along with the apple fritter I always grab!

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 7:20:19 AM PDT
TerryInTexas says:
redandwhite...."dark side" is simply affectionate ribbing from the folks who do not have the iPad/iPhone combo, which dominates our US market here, but forged ahead with Kindle Fires and Android phones/tablets.......

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 7:28:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2013 7:30:24 AM PDT
TerryInTexas says:
Very quickly - whoever was looking for the next Hunger Games trilogy sale, now 5 bucks in the US....
The Hunger Games Trilogy NOT FREE JUST CHEAP

And - two books I really recommend grabbing if you like historical mystery, I have these in DTB (which says a great deal since I cleaned down to 3 bookshelves), and the writing and attitudes seem true to the times - the Civil War - first two in series
Faded Coat of Blue
Shadows of Glory

oops - noticed Nospin already posted. Not surprising, we have similar tastes....

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 7:36:19 AM PDT
Thanks TnT I grabbed it this time. And thanks redandwhite for telling me about ereaderiq. I got the price drop email this morning.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 7:52:48 AM PDT
new mom says:
@TerryInTexas, no worries about posting them after Nospin already had. I missed that post but picked up on yours. Thanks!

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 7:55:29 AM PDT
Morning everybody. Thanks for another great start Leo. I'm enjoying your book and how did you know that maple bars are my favorite!

I know we've talked about this before but for the life of me can't remember if it is possible or not - Can we loan books to people in countries where the book is not available? I have Don't Let Me Go and would be more than willing to loan it to anyone who would like to read it.

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 7:59:33 AM PDT
Good day, and great start, Leo.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  40
Total posts:  160
Initial post:  Mar 18, 2013
Latest post:  Mar 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions