Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Drowners The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

FREE Books & Chat - Thursday March 20, 2014

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 123 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 19, 2014 8:32:58 PM PDT
Dianna says:
Welcome to Free Books and Chat for Thursday, March 20, 2014.

Grab a piece of yummy smushed birthday cake and a cup of punch then settle in for some reminiscing.

But business first...

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

SPECIAL MESSAGE TO AUTHORS

AUTHORS - THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR SELF PROMOTION.

You are welcome to join us for conversation.
However, self-promotion or posting a link to your book in this area is against Amazon's TOS. If you're looking to promote your work, please go to the "Meet Our Authors", many of us check there as well.

.........THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING THE RULES..............

~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

★★ Links To Free Book Resources ★★

Dailyfreebooks:
dailyfreebooks.com

Ereaderiq:
http://ereaderiq.com/freebies/

eReaderPerks:
www.eReaderPerks.com

FreeReadFeed:
freereadfeed.com

You are strongly urged to confirm the price of the book before completing your purchase.
The price displayed on Amazon's website at the time of purchase is the price of the book.

°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*

╰❈╮ If the conversation is not your thing please visit the thread: Freebie Books - Links Only - No Self Promotion III

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdMsgID=Mx2PLTTTNY8AT0E&cdMsgNo=81&cdPage=4&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx3NJBSGNX181US#Mx2PLTTTNY8AT0E

╰❈╮Link to the FB&C Group Cookbook thread:

http://www.amazon.com/forum/cooking/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx211KPGGBLHNC6&cdMsgID=Mx3TF4806AD6YTU&cdMsgNo=1&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxQUJZ6FYNH8VQ#Mx3TF4806AD6YTU

*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。☆。*。*.☆。

╰❈╮Birthday and Anniversary / Template / States - abbreviations and time zones / Slang / How To Link:

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0Bxt8Ey-AsMfIUDZUS3p0SnpqZG8/edit?usp=sharing

°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*★°.¸¸.*

Old News.. AKA Yesterdays Thread..
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdMsgID=Mx3JAYO8HDP9YX5&cdMsgNo=1&cdPage=1&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=TxYSXUZCVHSE2B#Mx3JAYO8HDP9YX5

* ⊱✿⊰ FB&C Start Schedule:

Kajola - Friday, March 21, start time 11 pm - 1 am EDT
Susan - Saturday, March 22, start time 11 pm - 6 am EDT
Snowlady Sandy- Tuesday March 25, Start time around midnight PT

⊱✿⊰ ~~~ WE ARE ALWAYS IN NEED OF NEW THREAD STARTERS ~~~ ⊱✿⊰

.✿. Open Dates:

Sunday, March 23 - Pick me
Monday, March 24
Wednesday, March 26
Thursday, March 27
Friday, March 28
Saturday, March 29
Sunday, March 30

⊱✿⊰ ~~~ WE ARE ALWAYS IN NEED OF NEW THREAD STARTERS ~~~ ⊱✿⊰

*** Please consider volunteering to be a thread starter. ***

Choose an available day, copy/paste schedule into a post and add your info.
⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰ . ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰

FB&C Book Discussion
The next book discussion is scheduled for Thursday, April 3, 2014 at 6:00pm PT.

The book selected is ***Not Free****Book of Mercy by Sherry Roberts.

. ⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰ . ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰⊹⊱✿ ✿⊰

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 8:34:43 PM PDT
Dianna says:
‧ ‧ ⋱ ⋱ ⋮ ⋰ ⋰
‧ ‧ ‧ ‧ ⋱ ◯⋰
~⁀~ ⁀~⁀~⁀~
....(),() .♥. (\.∕)
... (__) . . .(__)
.. (_o_)....(_o_)
´"``"`´"`´"`` ´"`` ´"``
'Won't you be my neighbor?'

Many of you already know I have a precious almost 3 year old GS. DJ has been getting into more and more shows and the computer. What has amazed me is a show that he adores that reminds me of my son and my own childhood - Daniel Tiger. As Wikipedia puts it, Daniel Tiger's neighborhood is based on the neighborhood of make-believe from Mister Rogers' neighborhood (1968-2001). We are blessed with O the Owl, Katerina Kittycat, Miss Elaina, Prince Wednesday and the good old Trolley. March 20th would have been the 86th birthday of Fred Rogers.

What I didn't know about Fred Rogers was he was originally a Presbyterian minister who was displeased with how TV addressed children. "Fred Rogers became an indelible American icon of Children's entertainment and education, as well as a symbol of compassion, patience, and morality". (Wikipedia). He once stated to CNN that he "went into television because [he] hated it so, and [he] thought there's some way of using this fabulous instrument to nurture those who would watch and listen". He also composed all the songs. I for one am glad he chose to pursue this idea. He was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2002 ; in 2003 the US Senate passed Resolution 16 to commemorate his life, he has several buildings and monuments dedicated to him as well as an asteroid. There is also a planetarium show for preschoolers called "the sky above Mister Rogers' Neighborhood". What a wonderful gift Fred Rogers shared with us and our children.

I love that Daniel Tiger opens zipping up his sweater and putting on his tennis just like Mr. Rogers did for me and my son. Also get excited to hear DJ sing it's such a good feeling. Mr. Rogers wisdom is shared through this cute tiger interacting with his friends and sharing his fears and emotions with his neighbors (including the viewer). There is seldom a week that goes by that we don't reference a song from Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, be it Grownups come back; when something seems bad turn it around and find something good; or When you feel so mad that you wanna roar... the catchy songs that DJ can sing and remember give children power in their own bodies and feelings.

Do you have any fond memories of Mr Rogers neighborhood or other TV shows from your childhood?

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 8:35:44 PM PDT
Dianna says:
Finally some wisdom from Fred Rogers:

Above all, I think that the willingness and the courage to keep on trying develops best if there is someone we love close by who can lend us some of the strength we do not yet have within ourselves. I don't mean someone who will do a task for us, but rather someone who will share our times of trying just by being around and being supportive, someone who can sustain the belief that we can succeed even when we doubt it ourselves. We all need quiet, caring cheerleaders like that - grownups as well as children.

Children's curiosity always needs to be encouraged and supported. More important than what we say is letting our children know that we welcome their asking us about anything they don't understand.

Often when you think you're at the end of something, you're at the beginning of something else.

Whether we're a preschooler or a young teen, a graduating college senior or a retired person, we human beings all want to know that we're acceptable, that our being alive somehow makes a difference in the lives of others.

Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people.

.*♥*...║║║║╔╗╔╗*♥*
...*♥*.╠╣║║║╗╚╗...*❤*
*♥*....║║╚╝╚╝╚╝*♥*

Know that I love our FB&C Neighborhood and cherish each and every one of you lurker and poster alike.

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 8:56:02 PM PDT
Dianna says:
Little man just barrelled his way in to the bed room and said "good morning"....I think we need to have a talk as this is not morning :P I will be in and out as I can - hope to get him to sleep

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 10:41:21 PM PDT
Sally in SA says:
Dianna, thank you for starting us off in such a wonderful way this morning. You are some fantastic grandmother:)

I am not at all familiar with Fred Rogers but what wonderful wisdom to have come from him. I love that first paragraph the best. Everyone needs that support and encouragement when battling with either a task or a problem. It does epitomise this thread where everyone is so supportive of us all.

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 10:48:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2014 10:54:49 PM PDT
redandwhite says:
@ Dianna
Thank you for doing the start today.
Daniel Tiger sounds like a good show, though I have never heard of it before.
Growing up we did not have a television so no fond TV show memories for me :-)
But ... we did have the radio and I remember a programme called "Listen with Mother" I must admit I don't remember the content but listening with my mother I do remember, cosy special time with her and a glass of milk and a biscuit or two. :-)
ETA
I just went and looked it up on Wiki and it says Listen with Mother opened with the phrase "Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin." I definitely remember getting ready to sit comfortably and usually replying :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2014 10:49:50 PM PDT
redandwhite says:
Morning Sally
Been wondering how it is going with Psycho and Izzy

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 11:12:08 PM PDT
Dianna says:
Good morning Sally and Red! Glad to hear from you. Red I think the memories we have of just spending time together with our mothers or fathers make the best of all. It's the little day in and day out that mean the most - not the grand vacations or gifts. Time and love is the greatest gift anyone can give. Well, off to try to go to sleep. Hope you have a snap happy new day!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2014 11:16:28 PM PDT
redandwhite says:
@ Dianna
You are so right it is definitely the little things that matter, and sometimes we are too busy to appreciate them .... until later when they resurface as wonderful memories.
Hope you have a good night - see you later

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 11:16:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2014 11:21:22 PM PDT
Sally in SA says:
The one good thing for me if we had a weekly thread is that when I woke up in the morning, I could comment without worrying about the postings that have been made while I was asleep. I have been pretty tired when I get home in the evenings for some reason and have been going to bed rather early so I am not able to read the posts or respond in any way.

I know there is no rule not to refer back to the previous days thread but sometimes you go to the new thread and forget what was said the previous day.

Travelqueen, I loved your post on why we love to read. So many of them are true to me.

JoJo, I'm glad you managed to have one fairly decent nights sleep. I hope you can have more of them and that that wretched machine of yours behaves itself. I haven't managed to listen to that guitar piece but will hopefully try this evening, but you are showing yourself to be a girl of many talents.

dinkyd, I hope today proves to be a much better day for you. You must see so many hearbreaking things in the job you do.

Plays, I hope your new medication does the trick and you also manage to get some better nights. You are also an inspiration. I so loved your story about your prayer shawl:)

Oregon Fiddler, thrilled to have seen so many posts from you.

Biscay, as usual, love your posts. They always make me chuckle which is so important.

I want to mention everyone, but can't. Just know that I love and appreciate each and every one of you. I love reading everyone's posts. Some have such interesting lives, *Mieko* you have! So interesting. Thank you!

eta

Good morning Red! Psycho and Izzy are still driving me to drink! (No ice) Not Izzy, who just wants to be friends, but Psycho still has to be taken off the roof every day. Last night she refused, so slept on the roof. This morning she willingly got taken by the scruff of the neck and given some food. Izzy and Belle are the very greatest of friends and romp and play all day! I think Belle sometimes thinks she's a cat and sometimes thinks she is a bull terrier! Izzy is nearly as big as her already.

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 11:33:35 PM PDT
dinkyd says:
Good morning I think thanks for starting Dianna I have never heard of the person in your start obviously never aired in the Uk. Good morning Red and Sally your animals will all settle eventually its just a pecking order thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2014 11:36:19 PM PDT
redandwhite says:
@ Sally
I am a little indiscriminate and post all over the place, sometimes replying on an old thread, I think that many keep an eye on the list top right of the page to see if any visited threads have new posts, Mieko had been posting on an old one and I found her, of course some things need to be kept on older threads, but usually bringing over to 'today' is a fine thing to do like you did today.
Everyone needs to know that we appreciate their posts, and miss them when they are away, which reminds me that I am missing Susan, hope you are not stressed out at work - and Robb are you back yet ?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2014 11:39:03 PM PDT
redandwhite says:
@ dinkyd
Was just going to write that I hope that you have a good day today (presume you are on duty today)
Do you only do day-duty or do you have evenings and nights too ?

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 11:45:43 PM PDT
redandwhite says:
This is a bit off topic, sorry

@ Sally and kathy04092 and Jojo & Suze & Oregon Fiddler (and others - names escape me right now)
I was really surprised (and a bit saddened) about how the Elephants III thread ended - and the new one (so far) has not really taken off.

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 11:51:00 PM PDT
Sally in SA says:
Oh dear Red, I haven't been on there because I was AWOL and haven't been back there since coming back here, so I'm not sure what you are talking about, but will take a look and then comment.

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 11:56:33 PM PDT
dinkyd says:
Just days red

Posted on Mar 19, 2014 11:59:12 PM PDT
Sally in SA says:
Red, I'm not sure that I understand it at all! Just Glenda posting and then nothing, or am I missing something? Perhaps everyone was afraid to be the final post and stepped back until it was over? I really don't know. What do you make of it? What's the link to the new one?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2014 12:09:50 AM PDT
redandwhite says:
@ Sally (and others)
I just don't understand her posting and posting (two pages full), it would have been better IMHO if it had come to a natural conclusion, what with all the posters being in different time zones no one else really had a chance, don't know why it had to be pushed so fast (not explaining myself well here, sorry)
The new one is
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdThread=Tx2KNJ24Y4OKPM5

Must rush - going to be late to work - Hope everyone has a good and positive day today

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 1:20:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 20, 2014 1:22:53 AM PDT
Sally in SA says:
*Mieko* is it unusual for Americans to watch British soccer? Two of my sons are avid supporters of "Spurs" and have been since they were small kids. My youngest son, GS's and I, are avid supporters of Liverpool. The only reason we originally got what you would call cable TV was so that we could watch the soccer. Do you have a special team you support? Oh, I see MU got themselves out of the mire last night:)

As Liverpool supporters, we love to hate MU and Chelsea:)

eta

The reason my youngest son supports Liverpool, is that we were at a soccer tournament when they were young and they had British soccer team caps for sale. The two oldest got the last 2 Spurs caps and my youngest had to settle for the Liverpool one, and is eternally grateful:)

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 2:48:39 AM PDT
For those that don't know Mister Rogers....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtc7A67kZlQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctcQXme7QlY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyW6zzRCOVg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnYVgGBOkI4

There are a ton of them on you tube...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2014 3:58:03 AM PDT
fourthdaymom says:
Sally, my son loves soccer and would rather watch the European teams. He says they are better than the USA teams. His favorite teams are Arsonal and Manchester United. He is hoping to play soccer in college. He decided on this particular college because the coach teaches the European style.

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 4:05:52 AM PDT
Dianna, thanks for the nice start this morning. I hope you were able to get little man back to sleep to get some rest of your own!

I grew up in the 70's and I grew up with Sesame Street (very new at that time), Mr. Rogers, Captain Kangaroo and the New Zoo Revue. I was disappointed when my kids weren't interested in Mr. Rogers. When the FCC instituted the E/I (educational and informational) requirement on TV stations in the mid 90's reruns of the New Zoo Revue were shown by some stations. My kids and I would watch the episodes with my elderly grandmother. It too was a good show, it is described on Wikipedia as a "musical comedy-format show conveyed the concepts of cooperation and guidance for living in contemporary society." Each show dealt with a different topic.

Sally in SA, warm greetings to you and your furry babies. Psycho certainly sounds like fun : ) My male cat (Mr. Fairweather, as he is known to some here in the forum), loves attention and likes to cuddle. The two females do not like to be picked up or held. However, when they decide they want attention they'll do whatever it takes to get it. Sassy plays with balled up socks or other small things pretending they are her prey and she howls as she hunts them. Cute the first few times but not so much when it goes on throughout the night. She's also a bit strange, every since she was a kitten she has a fetish for chewing plastic bags or wrappers. We also have to watch our pizza around her, we cannot leave a pizza box on the kitchen countertop. If she can get to it, she lifts the top of the box with her claws and helps herself to a slice. If that doesn't work, she knocks the whole box onto the floor hoping it opens on the way down! We call her "carb cat" because of her tendency to get into wrapped bread or baked goods and nibble on them if they are left out on the countertop.

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 4:09:51 AM PDT
Sally in SA says:
Hi fourthdaymom, Well we are in the opposite camp! Liverpool hate both Arsenal and Manchester United!!

My son was offered 3 soccer scholorships to American colleges when he matriculated but unfortunately he was already heavily involved with his wife and didn't want to leave her. It is really such a pity that he didn't take one of them but it's no good looking back with regret and he is very happy with his wife and 2 boys. I know a few boys (no longer boys of course) who did go and most have stayed so in a way I am glad things turned out as they did. I would hate not to have him here in SA:)

My family are very much into soccer, although we never watch our own! Of course we are heavily into most sport, if it's not soccer, it's rugby or cricket!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2014 4:16:51 AM PDT
Sally in SA says:
small.black.cat,
we have never really been into cats before and Psycho is only the 2nd cat we have ever had so the pecularities of cats was never apparent to me before, but my goodness they certainly have them! I really hope this problem stops soon because it makes me very unhappy to see her unsettled like she is at the moment. I think it is going well and then something small happens to send her back on the roof again. Yesterday it was the noise of a plastic bag:) Silly cat!

One thing though, I have definetely become a cat lover.

Posted on Mar 20, 2014 4:17:11 AM PDT
Suze says:
Good Morning everyone and thanks Dianna!

I watched Mister Rogers as a child and loved it. It was filmed here in Pittsburgh, PA and I remember taking my boys to tour the set. We saw Fred Rogers having dinner at the restaurant where we were also eating.

red,
I am confused about what happened on Elephants. When I got home last night from my bookgroup meeting I read the threads before going to sleep and I just couldn't figure out what was going on....I thought you weren't supposed to ever answer your own post.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Does Kindle Paperwhite have the infamous 'blue light' that disrupts sleep? 187 1 minute ago
new $79 kindle with bluetooth audio. mp3 also? 0 30 minutes ago
Australian/Kiwi kindle users thread #4 - "the BBQ" 6635 37 minutes ago
Reading Reddit or Quora thread via Send to Kindle 1 1 hour ago
connection issue 1 1 hour ago
85° and Sunny - A Perfect Day to RAOK! 9416 1 hour ago
FREE Books & Chat - June 2016 577 1 hour ago
Is it possible to gift an ebook? or must I buy a gift card? 31 2 hours ago
Text-to-speech on Voyage Kindle? 624 2 hours ago
MLB At Bat 12 app for Kindle Fire???? 40 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  123
Initial post:  Mar 19, 2014
Latest post:  Mar 21, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions