Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

kindle fire won't charge

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 42 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 25, 2013 10:49:18 AM PDT
I have had the kindle fire for over a year and now I can't get it to charge not sure if its the cord or not but it seems lose where you plug it in at. I dont want to waste money on another cord if its not the problem, but if its the kindle how do i get it fix? I think 200 dollars for a kindle fire is a lot of money to have it not work having it for little over a year. thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2013 10:51:23 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
If you will call Customer Service they can help you. I think there is a known problem with the original Fires and the loose port.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2013 1:26:51 PM PDT
Thank you I will do that

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 3:18:05 PM PDT
My son is having the same issue..and the warranty expired 2 mos ago. Hope this Isn't a harbinger of things to come as I just purchased a Kindle Fire HD 7. Thank Thank you for the information about it being a common issue. Maybe they can fix or replace it. They really should.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2013 4:00:19 PM PDT
I talked to Amazon and they are replacing mine even though my warranty has been expired for awhile.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2013 8:21:36 PM PDT
Received my KF for Xmas 2011 and basically didn't touch it till about 3 mths ago. Started using it for ebooks. Now it won't hold a charge. Sounds like your situation?

Posted on Apr 9, 2013 4:15:14 PM PDT
Xio says:
I have a Kindle Fire I received as a birthday gift in 2011. Until a few months ago, I did not have any problems. Now, it won't charge. I just bought a charger last week and charged the Kindle for two days. Still no charge.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2013 4:21:42 PM PDT
Lisa C. says:
I had the same issue. I called Amazon customer service and they sent a new one out. I had it within 2 days. The new Kindle that they sent had charging issues too. I called them again and they sent out a third Kindle. This one is charging fine, but I have noticed that when I am reading or using the Kindle, it will not charge. Seems like this is an ongoing issue.

I really love my Kindle Fire but when it comes time to replace it I am not sure if I will buy a Kindle again.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2013 3:37:54 AM PDT
Brian Heinz says:
I'm having he exact same problem right now. Glad to hear Amazon helped you. Hopefully they'll do the same for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 27, 2013 12:26:32 PM PDT
Xio says:
I called customer service and they sent me a new kindle.

Posted on May 14, 2013 8:47:18 AM PDT
Grannamarie says:
I received my first Kindle Fire for Christmas, 2011. I am now on my 3rd one. I've had it since December 2012, and already it's not charging again. They really need to fix this!

Posted on May 14, 2013 10:04:58 AM PDT
I have a new Kindle Fire and the fast charger. I just fully charged it about 3 or 4 days ago and when I went to read a book today it says that it needs to be charged again. I did not use it after I charged it. Can someone tell me what the customer service number for Amazon is.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2013 10:28:41 AM PDT
Mike says:
Start with the help link at the top of this page.

Posted on May 14, 2013 11:22:41 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 14, 2013 11:23:15 AM PDT]

Posted on May 16, 2013 3:05:11 PM PDT
Joy Sherrill says:
This discussion is very interesting. I had been having trouble charging my Kindle Fire (bought Jan. 2012) for at least six months and had to prop it up on the cord so that a good connection was made. I went ahead and bought a new cord, threw out the first one, and now it won't charge no matter what I do. When I called Amazon, I was told my guarantee had expired four months ago, and they offered to send me a new one--for a reduced price. After seeing all of these similar complaints, I think I'm going with an iPad Mini. It's not worth spending another $150 for something that's only going to work for a little over a year.

Posted on May 16, 2013 3:37:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 31, 2013 1:39:26 AM PDT
I have had the same problem with my Kindle. But my husband got it at Staples instead of Amazon and was afraid that Amazon would not help me but they did. They replaced my old kindle with a "new" one, or so I think. The charger that came with it was all chewed up, like a pet got to it, so I do not know if I really got a new one or if it was a refurb... even though the lady on the phone said that they sent me a new one. So, I called and got a credit for the power fast charger. They were helpful and have to send my old one back (if you do not they will charge you for the new one) and do not know what will happen with my Staples warranty (yet), but I got a better Kindle because it charges and for some reason the sound is better on this one than the old one. All you have to do is give Amazon a call if you are having charging problems and they should replace it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2013 3:55:37 PM PDT
Regardless of where a Kindle was purchased, you have a 1 year warranty from Amazon.

Posted on May 27, 2013 6:35:27 PM PDT
A. Orr says:
Just talked to amazon about kindle that wont charge or hold charge. They will replace if 90 days outside of warranty. Otherwise you can pay $127 to get a newer model. No thanks. Goodbye kindle. :(

In reply to an earlier post on May 31, 2013 1:41:42 AM PDT
I wanted to pay the difference for a newer model but they would not let me until the 1 year warranty was up. I do not know why they would not exchange it; I would try calling again to see if a different person will do it for you.

Posted on May 31, 2013 6:47:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 31, 2013 6:51:25 PM PDT
Sey-Park says:
Got my first Kindle Fire for Xmas 2011. Bought the 2 year extended warranty. I have been a great customer of Amazon buying near 1,000 books. Original Kindle quit charging November 2012 (11 months into Amazon warranty). Had some trouble with customer service but they agreed to replace. Received another 1st generation Kindle Fire. It quit charging in February 2013- 2 months out of Amazon warranty. Very friendly and cooperative customer service. Replaced with another 1st generation Kindle Fire. Loose connection for charging port from the beginning. This one quit charging last week. After reading this forum I didn't know what to expect from customer service. After brief explanation of charging problem, lady says,"Well, I'll make certain you don't have that problem again." Two days later I received the replacement-again under the Amazon warranty. To my surprise it is a second generation Kindle Fire. I am very pleased with Amazon's customer service.
I am disabled and use my Kindle 12-18 hours a day. I know for a fact that I would never get this level of service from Apple or another tablet maker. I am saving up for a 8.9 inch Kindle HD.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2013 10:46:48 AM PDT
t.sipe says:
I am on my 4th Kindle. Now this one won't charge either. Have bought several chargers from Amazon and now it won't charge again. Always come on, says battery is too low and shuts off. I really like my Kindle but am frustrated with this.

Posted on Jun 10, 2013 10:54:13 AM PDT
I have had my KF 1st gen for over a year now..... and I am still on my 1st. No frustration.

Posted on Jul 6, 2013 10:57:51 PM PDT
J. Clarke says:
If it wont charge, plug in the kindle and hold down the on/off switch until you get the kindle logo. This reboots the device. Worked for me! if not, then do as the others and contact CS @ Amazon

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2013 2:23:30 PM PDT
Chad Benge says:
Can you helpe me with the phone number for Customer Service I can't find one anywhere.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2013 2:59:23 PM PDT
J. Donahue says:
Chad, click on the "Help" link at the top of this page. On the next page, look for the "Contact Us" button on the right side of the page about half way down. Should be bright yellow.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  33
Total posts:  42
Initial post:  Mar 25, 2013
Latest post:  May 3, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions