Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Feature request: add a "not in any collection" container, or display on top when "By collecitons" viewing

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 15, 2014 2:10:18 AM PDT
Kotte Pascal says:
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi - Includes Special Offers (Black)

Posted on Jul 15, 2014 2:10:43 AM PDT
Kotte Pascal says:
Date: Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 11:05 AM
Subject: Suggest a "not any collection" automatic container
To: kindle-feedback@amazon.com
Cc: "Kindle, Amazon Customer Service" <amazon.fr@kotte.net>

Hi,
thanks your kindle device, very nice for holiday and traveling reading...
I must say I find a missing feature.

When I select display by "collections", I do not display any more any book not assiated a collection at all...
I kindly suggest you display on top the unassociated books, so we can update the classify of them easily,
or display an automated "not in any collection" container to collect them.

That would be really nice.
Best regards.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2014 2:13:39 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
change Collections to My Items and you will see them and your Collections (as long as you have your Collections set to be visible on your Home page) and can then classify them - using Collections instead of All/My Items is designed to show just Collections

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2014 7:08:53 AM PDT
rickh57 says:
I think that the OP is requesting that collections work similar to how they behaved on earlier Kindles. On my K3, if you viewed by collections, any books that weren't in a collection were shown at the end of the collections, making it easy to add them to collections. I would prefer to have that behavior on my new PW, also.

Your suggestion does show books and collections, but it doesn't help to filter out those books not yet in a collection.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2014 7:16:40 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
yes it does if this is how your paperwhite is set up across the top:

Cloud __ On Device (highlighted) __ All/My Items (not Books or Collections) __ Collections (not Title, Author or Recent)

you will see your Collections followed by the books not in a Collection

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2014 7:27:04 AM PDT
rickh57 says:
On my PW (2nd generation) which has firmware version 5.4.3.2 on it, my behavior is different. I have it configured just how you describe, but after the collections, all of my books are displayed, even if they are assigned to a collection.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2014 7:38:38 AM PDT
A. Dietz says:
It sounds like you haven't sorted your home page by collections. Look in the upper right corner of the home page. Your options are title, author, recent, and collections. If you see the word title, author, or recent, you need to tap on it and select collections instead.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2014 7:39:51 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
on the far right, you are set to Collections? One caveat: if a Collection is set to not be visible on the Home page, those books will display loose on the Home page even though they are in a Collection and the middle item has to be set to All/My items (I never can remember which one it is)

So if you have some collections set to not display (any that are unstarred when you switch the middle to Collections) those books will display loose on the Home page.

Posted on Jul 15, 2014 7:47:03 AM PDT
monilee says:
I would also love to have books not in collections show when in collections view. You can sort by all items and most recent to find new books closest to top but it would be more convenient to have the option. I always sort by collections and unless I remember to add new books to a collection immediately sometimes I forget.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2014 7:54:13 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
if you swtich to All/My Items and your sort to Collections that is what will happen, but only if all your Collections are starred (visible on Home page)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2014 7:54:33 AM PDT
monilee says:
All of my collections are cloud collections as it is easier to switch between devices. When I sort by collections cloud/device is grayed out and only collections show.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2014 7:55:30 AM PDT
rickh57 says:
Thanks -- I didn't realize that I had to have all of my collections configured to be visible on the home screen to obtain this result. Once I added the stars for every collection, if I view all items and sort by collection, I get the desired behavior. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2014 7:57:13 AM PDT
monilee says:
Thank you so much! I just found a book I forgot about!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2014 11:17:32 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
excellent!!!

and yes, rick, it does work - it just takes a little getting used to. I like that i can create a collection for an author, but I don't have to have all the books on my kindle, but they still show up greyed out in the collection so i can tell which ones I've read (on device = unread)

Posted on Jul 15, 2014 11:28:26 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 15, 2014 10:20:32 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2014 2:31:54 AM PDT
Kotte Pascal says:
Hi, it seems nice, but not related my old Kindle model :( I can switch the view to "all items", not by collection, to get view my "not in any collection" books, but I have to do that manualy, I do not see any option to hide display or star any collection on my Kindle one) Thanks your message ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2014 3:12:52 AM PDT
CBRetriever says:
this thread and the methods in it pertain only to the Paperwhite with current updates

if you have any other model, you want to sort by Collections on the right and then go to the bottom of your collections to dind books not in collections
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Software Update 4.6
0 10 days ago
Announcement
Simon & Schuster Agreement
0 Oct 20, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
RAoK 79/80 - Tis the Season, and the end of the year! 582 1 minute ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 1805 1 minute ago
My Kindle Fire HD 7" won't download apps from the appstore 36 3 minutes ago
No page numbers, new paperwhite, please help 57 5 minutes ago
Kindle Mac App Compatibility with Latest OS (Yosemite Beta) 6 6 minutes ago
Anyone seen shipping notice for Kindle Voyage ? 267 7 minutes ago
Playing videos on Fire HDX 2 8 minutes ago
Free Books & Chat - Friday December 26, 2014 10 10 minutes ago
Kindle / Audible Recommendations and Deals (KARD) 1933 11 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Jul 15, 2014
Latest post:  Jul 18, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions