Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CaseLangVeirs Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Kindle transfer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 3, 2014 8:10:36 PM PST
I have a regular kindle and would like to purchase a kindle fire, I have a lot of books downloaded onto it, does anyone know if the data from the kindle to the kindle fire can be transferred?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2014 8:16:20 PM PST
Artist says:
You content belongs to your account, not the device. Just register your new Fire to the same Amazon account that holds your books, and you will be able to download everything from the cloud.

If by data you mean things like last page read and notes, etc., just sync your old Kindle to the cloud before downloading anything to the Fire.

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 8:23:03 PM PST
You can read Amazon Kindle books on many kindles, and kindle app placed on phones, and the computer. Link them all to your amazon account.

Posted on Jan 3, 2014 8:30:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 3, 2014 8:49:47 PM PST
Retired EE says:
You don't need to do anything else beyond Artist's recommendations to your old Kindle after you get the Fire. You can have multiple Kindle's and other devices with the Kindle app installed on one account. You can use continue to use both devices if you want to. If you decide to sell or give the old kindle to someone who won't be using your account you should preform a Reset to Factory Settings on the old kindle to 1) clear all your information and deregister the Kindle and 2) give the new owner a clean reader to begin with to minimize problems resulting from old settings.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2014 3:58:16 PM PST
Thank you, you have been very helpful. I want to sell the old one and I didn't want to lose all the books and games that I already paid for on the old Kindle and didn't know how it worked.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2014 3:58:54 PM PST
Thank you for your help.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2014 3:59:49 PM PST
Thank you for your help.

Posted on Jan 4, 2014 4:38:21 PM PST
LLJ says:
My husband and I now own 3 kindles which are all tied to my account with Amazon. I'd like to give one of them to our son with all of the
books still loaded on it, but I don't want him to be able to order any more from Amazon on my account. Is there a way to keep the books on the device but block all future Amazon purchases on my account? Tks.
Linda J

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2014 4:49:09 PM PST
Artist says:
It depends on which Kindle you're giving him.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2014 5:40:56 PM PST
LLJ says:
A third generation Kindle that has 3g and wifi is what we are giving him.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2014 7:00:54 PM PST
Artist says:
If it's a Kindle Keyboard, then all you have to do is deregister it from your account. All of the books will remain on the Kindle. However, they won't move to his account, so if he deletes them from his device, they're gone unless he registers back to your account and download them again. Also, if he ever does a Factory Rreset, the books will be deleted from his device.

To deregister, click Menu, choose Settings, find the Deregistration option, click to deregister. He needs to go back to that same location to register it to his Amazon account.

A Fire deletes all content when it's deregistered, so it's a good thing that it's one of the e-ink readers instead.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2014 8:17:25 PM PST
Thanks for the info, it will be very helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2014 8:18:28 PM PST
There are so many of them it is hard to know which one I want.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Jan 3, 2014
Latest post:  Jan 4, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions