Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Can't Add .mobi Books to Collection

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2012 8:27:26 AM PST
Saul says:
I have a Kindle to which I have downloaded a number of books in .mobi format from the Web. For some, but not all of these books, I find that I cannot add them to a collection. If I click on the book title, the "Add to Collection" menu item is grayed out. On the other hand, if I click on a collection, and select "Add/Remove Items," the books in question do not appear in the list of books to be added.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 11:49:02 PM PST
I'm having exactly the same problem with Pro Git book, which I've downloaded from http://git-scm.com/book

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 3:07:18 AM PST
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I use Calibre to move books onto my Kindle and have no problems putting them in collections.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 4:15:12 AM PST
Collections are tags, not folders. That is, if you add a book to a collection, you're not moving its file into a folder, but rather tagging the file with a label. My guess would be that the generic mobi files you're having problems with haven't had that tagging feature enabled. Perhaps running them through a conversion program like Calibre would enable the tagging and solve your difficulty?

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 7:10:30 AM PST
Saul says:
Thanks for bringing Calibre to my attention. What worked for me was using Calibre to convert the books from .mobi to .azw3 format. Once you do that, your Calibre library has the book in both formats. Then you can just copy the .azw3 book to your kindle with Windows explorer, or you can manually delete the .mobi file from your Calibre library and copy the file to the device with Calibre. If you leave both files in place, Calibre copies the .mobi file, and you're back where you started. (At least, this happen for me. I have an old kindle, which I described to Calbre as a generic e-Ink device.) If you follow the second path, Calibre still thinks it has both formats, but that doesn't appear to matter.

By the way, Georgi, one of the books I was having trouble with was Pro Git, and it worked fine.

I noticed that the original .mobi files were described as "issues" not "books" on the kindle, as if they were issues of a magazine, whereas the .azw3 files are described as books. Perhaps there's a simple way to edit the metadata in Calibre and fix this, but I couldn't find it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 2:20:51 PM PST
Excellent! Glad we were able to provide a solution for you, and whoever else might find the same problem (and this thread) in the future :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 1:48:35 AM PST
Your suggestion about not enabled tags feature was great. I've just added a tag of Pro Git in Calibre and after transferring it on the device there was no more problem adding it in collections. Thanks!

Thank you too Saul.

Posted on Jun 7, 2013 3:49:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 7, 2013 3:51:04 PM PDT
R. Chi says:
I am having the same issue with the Pro Git book. Can't add it to a collection. The option is grayed out.

Found this thread, and I tried using Calibre to convert the book (from mobi to mobi). It worked, I can add it to a collection.

However, the big deal breaker for me is this conversion removed the nice navigation capability of the original book. In the original book, at the bottom of the screen, I see "View Sections & Articles", along with "prev article" and "next article". Press enter, and I see a nice list of Sections, 1 to 10, corresponding to the 10 chapters in the book, and in each section, different articles corresponding to major parts within the chapter. I suspect this is formatted like a magazine or something.

This makes navigating the book extremely easy. But the conversion process loses this information, which is a much bigger deal than not be able to add it to a collection.

Is there a way to enable this 'tag feature' in this book without reprocess/convert it?

The kindle readme file says I can add magazine, etc to collections, so is this a kindle bug/limitation, or the mobi file is not created/tagged correctly?

Posted on Aug 14, 2014 7:22:18 AM PDT
Just found this, thank you. I've got three Adobe Press books for Photoshop and Lightroom. Go into a coolection fine on a PC, but on both my Androids (Phone and Tablet) no chance.
Used Calibre to convert them to AZW3 and no more problems.
Thank you again. I've spent so much time with this.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Critical Software Update for Kindle E-Readers
0 Mar 23, 2016
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
We're Quirky And We Know It! Come Witness The Howling Dink, Hussy Turkey Hens, And A Veritable Plethora Of Other Beasts! So Geese! 1565 2 minutes ago
85° and Sunny - A Perfect Day to RAOK! 9440 3 minutes ago
Kindle Voyage 3D 3 6 minutes ago
"Invalid Item - Please remove the item from your device and go to All Items to download it again." 7 18 minutes ago
How to remove special offers from Paperwhite 3 17 20 minutes ago
Kindle paperwhite will not switch off 5 1 hour ago
Unable to read 2 1 hour ago
Lending Library 1 1 hour ago
SwagBucks Thread 2016 385 1 hour ago
FREE Books & Chat - June 2016 583 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Dec 2, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 14, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions