Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Hate the Update!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 58 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 27, 2014 9:55:05 AM PDT
A couple months ago, I spent most of day carefully organizing my 1500+ books into collections. Last week, I double-checked everything was ready for a trip in which I planned to take only my Kindle Paperwhite. Last night, I connected to WiFi and discovered a total MESS! Old collections from a previous Kindle, books appearing in multiple collections when I'd made sure they were only in one, other books appearing in collections where I know I didn't put them, images of 60+ expired library books that I can't get to go away. AARRGGHH!!! I am so MAD! I leave at 6 a.m. tomorrow and don't have to time to fix it. These "upgrades" are never things I want.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 10:00:50 AM PDT
Just because they are there does not mean that you have to use them. Just use the recent collections and enjoy your trip.....or, you could delete the unwanted collections.

It took me about 5 minutes for me to delete the old collections from my 3 Paperwhites.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 10:08:22 AM PDT
☼Becky☼ says:
Hey, EC, are your Paperwhites registered to the same account? If so, can you have different collections on all three or do they have to share the same collections? Sorry to hijack the thread but you are the only person I know with multiple Paperwhites.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 10:17:29 AM PDT
Hi Becky. Yes, all 3 of them belong to me so they are on the same account.

It was very odd when the updates happened because all 3 of the Paperwhites, the Kindle Touch and the K2i all had different collections, but all of the collections showed up on the Paperwhites, even the ones from the K2i that I gave away last year.

I just deleted the old collections that were from the K2i, deleted the collections that were from the Kindle Touch and left the rest because one Paperwhite is for guests and I sync and read back and forth between the 3G and wi-fi, which is great if you are reading and happen to find yourself with a battery that needs to be charged.

Posted on May 27, 2014 10:19:06 AM PDT
Unstar the collections you don't want to see on your home page.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 10:23:12 AM PDT
☼Becky☼ says:
Hmmm. I think this means that if more than one of us in my book club (6 kindles registered to same account) have Paperwhites, we will have to share collections. I don't think that will work. It's a bummer, because I love reading on my Paperwhite. Thanks for the quick reply!

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 10:26:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2014 10:27:57 AM PDT
Becky, you don't have to share collections. You can delete them. (ETA: you can delete other people's collections from your Paperwhite. I just left mine because I didn't care and it was useful to me.)

Just get together and decide what each person wants on their Paperwhite. Have you seen other peoples collections on your Paperwhite?

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 10:29:08 AM PDT
☼Becky☼ says:
All of my collections in my personal account showed up on my Paperwhite a couple of updates ago. I just deleted the extras, and even though it said it would delete the collection across devices, it did not. I currently have a baby Kindle registered for my book club. But if I can have my own collections (I mostly just use two now, "Read" and "Current") if I get a new Paperwhite and register it to my book club account, I may do so. We don't all read the same books and it would be very confusing to share collections.

Posted on May 27, 2014 10:29:41 AM PDT
i'm not a fan of the update (not for the collections since I don't use them), but the little window that pops up now - kind of like a preview function - I guess if you want to skip ahead

Posted on May 27, 2014 10:38:40 AM PDT
Arual says:
Maybe someone here can help with this question regarding the update: When I want to look up a word in the dictionary, the box appears to choose between the dictionary definition and the Wikipedia explanation. Can I - or how do I - make the dictionary the default? Right now it's Wikipedia, and I have to tap the dictionary tab every time I want a definition. It's an extra step I'd rather not have to take if there's a cure for it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 10:39:19 AM PDT
I wouldn't want to share the collections of others unless they had some really outstanding books I wanted to read. There might well be a side benefit to it.

;o)

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 10:44:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2014 10:45:23 AM PDT
Arual, go to your home screen. In the upper R corner of the screen, tap on the menu (3 horizontal lines).
Tap on Settings. Then tap on Device Options. Go down to the bottom of the screen and tap on Language and Dictionaries. At the bottom, tap on Dictionaries and tap on your preferred dictionary and at the bottom of the page, tap on OK. Your default dictionary is now set.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 10:45:15 AM PDT
Six months ago I would have been just as upset as you. I was meticulous with my collections. Every book I downloaded went immediately into one or more appropriate collection. When I finished reading a book it went into the Read collection and came out of the TBR collection. I had collections for genres, collections for series, collections for books read by years, a collection for books I could not finish, collections for free books, collections for books gifted to me, and on and on. I was out of control.

When my Kindle began to slow down due to the number of books, and I'm sure the number of collections, I reset it to factory defaults and downloaded 10-20 books from my to be read list. I now have one collection, Read. If I get more than 5 pages of unread books, I remove the oldest ones. I can always download them again later. It's been very liberating.

I still keep a spreadsheet of all my books for statistical purposes. I also have a pocket calendar that I write down what I'm reading, when my pre-orders are due, and any notes about what I might want to read over the next month or so. I do it in pencil so it's easy to maintain with a good eraser.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 10:46:08 AM PDT
"...a collection for books I could not finish..."

I love that. I'm glad I'm not the only one who occasionally thinks, "Nope. Can't continue."

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 10:49:47 AM PDT
Can't finish and taking an intermission are two different things. If I can't finish it because it is bad, I delete it. Putting it into a collection would not even be an option. What am I missing here?

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 10:53:20 AM PDT
flipoid says:
The only reason I might keep a book that I couldn't finish because it was bad would be to remind myself of an author I didn't like, or to remind myself not to get the book again (I don't know, if you permanently delete a book, if the "You bought this" banner at the top of the product page disappears) should I forget that it's one I bought and didn't like.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 10:56:08 AM PDT
☼Becky☼ says:
I put all my books into Goodreads and I have a "Did Not Finish" "shelf" to remind me of books that were so terrible I had to stop reading and move on.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 10:56:13 AM PDT
I was just pointing out how overly obsessive I WAS.

My thinking at the time was I wanted to keep track of the fact that I hated the book so I didn't download it and start reading it again.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 11:00:23 AM PDT
The banner used to appear. I once clicked on a recommended book and saw that I had already purchased it. The banner points to the order. I couldn't find it anywhere though. A call to Amazon told me I had deleted it. I don't know if that's still the case though. It was a few years ago.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 11:01:16 AM PDT
flipoid says:
Thanks for that info, FoundQuilting.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 11:12:22 AM PDT
Oh, I don't collect 'em. I just like that someone else admitted to giving up on some titles. I read a lot of 1 and 2-star reviews where the reviewer says, "I made myself finish this." Oh, heck no. If I hate it, I stop.

The only reason I can think of is if you share an account, and maybe someone else would like to read it. If I place it in a collection, then (accidentally) download it again, won't it re-sort itself back into that collection?

Posted on May 27, 2014 11:29:53 AM PDT
Thank you everyone. I didn't understand why you would keep a book you hated.

I must be the mad deleter because I do not want to ever see a reminder of a book that I hated enough to not finish.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 11:35:16 AM PDT
flipoid says:
I still do a lot of deleting. (-: But sometimes, if books I couldn't finish have a title that might be similar to another book or, as I say, to remind me of an author whose work I didn't like, I will keep them.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 11:36:51 AM PDT
Too bad we can't have a collection of bad authors without having the books in a collection. ;o)

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2014 12:08:14 PM PDT
Arual says:
Hi Emerald,

Thanks for the info., but I knew that part already. What I'm having trouble with is a word look-up. Sometimes all I want is the definition of a word, not a whole Wikipedia article about that word. When the dialogue box comes up, can I make the dictionary tab show first instead of the Wikipedia tab?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  58
Initial post:  May 27, 2014
Latest post:  Dec 24, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions