Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer gdwf gdwf gdwf  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage  McCartney Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing Retro Toys Deal
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Battery life while on an airplane

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 4, 2013 6:58:53 AM PDT
On three separate occasions my wife's kindle battery died while reading on an airplane. Is there a setting for use while on an airplane? Once we returned home I charged the kindle and it seemed to dork fine. Please advise. Thanks, Ray.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2013 7:06:34 AM PDT
SeaLevel274 says:
Airplane mode on for a start. Other than that, just make sure it's charged before you start your trip.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2013 7:09:16 AM PDT
Which Kindle? If a Fire, are there any apps running in the background? A fully charged battery on an e-ink Kindle should be plenty for pretty much any flight.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2013 7:41:25 AM PDT
One of the earlier versions, model # D00901. It was fully charged prior to the flight.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2013 7:42:44 AM PDT
Arual says:
Mr. Dube,

A gadget like this will give your wife enough charge to get her through a long flight. I got this one when it was on sale, and it does well for me. There are lots of other types to choose from too (in different price ranges).

Aluratek APB02F Dual USB 8,000 mAh External Battery Pack and Charger for iPod, iPhone, iPad, eReaders

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2013 7:43:56 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2013 7:47:32 AM PDT
Hmmm....wireless turned off?

Is there anything indexing? Search for a nonsense string - ideally the Kindle will tell you the term wasn't found. If it tells you X items are unindexed, delete them and redownload them.

How many hours of reading time does your wife normally get with her Kindle?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2013 1:48:05 AM PDT
J. Penrose says:
If the device is old enough or has been recharged a lot, the capacity of the battery diminishes and a full charge simply will not last as long.

Experiment at home and see what usage you can get before you *have* to charge it, it may be less than you expect since it is easier to charge the thing when it is half down without noticing how much time it gave.

There are third party "juice boxes" that are basically external charging packs for cell phones/mp3 players etc. One of these, weighing six or eight ounces can charge an e-ink Kindle two or three times completely and is a handy travel device. They come in a huge variety of capacities.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 19 days ago
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 19 days ago
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Suggestions for Kindle features 560 47 seconds ago
Life and Death: Twilight reimagined 91 2 minutes ago
3 new Fires - all with micro SD card slots 378 3 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - October 2015 381 3 minutes ago
How to change "text-to-speech" to another language on kindle fire? 4 5 minutes ago
It's After Midnight and I Just Opened a Bottle of Wine 4198 7 minutes ago
Elephants Three at The Ģrandest Hotel - Part IV 3532 9 minutes ago
Printing or transferring the "My notebook" content from Kindle for iPad 7 9 minutes ago
The Quirkier, The Better! Bring Your Dogs, Cats, Exploding Chickens, So Geese, Fighting Turkeys, Goats, Fluffy Sheep, Cows, Velvet Monkeys, Big Honking Bats, Fishlettes And Cherie! Tally Ho! 916 12 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Sep 4, 2013
Latest post:  Sep 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions