Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

what happens if a kindle book is deleted?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 26, 2011 4:49:19 PM PST
Brook Song says:
If you delete a book from your kindle, is it gone forever, or can you redownload it again from your amazon account? Is there a way to just remove the books from your kindle, but not permanently?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2011 4:50:23 PM PST
CLS10 says:
If you remove a book from your kindle, it's still your archive to re-download whenever you feel like reading it again. Note, this is only in regards to books purchased from amazon.

Posted on Jan 26, 2011 4:52:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 26, 2011 4:52:43 PM PST
Brook Song says:
when you say "in my archive", is that the archive on my kindle or on my amazon account?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2011 4:53:36 PM PST
Dragi Raos says:
The archive is on Amazon account (but you see the list of titles in it on your Kindle). It is essentially just a flag saying you are free to download the book again.

Posted on Jan 26, 2011 4:53:36 PM PST
Mary Ellison says:
Deleting a book from your kindle puts it in your archieve. Go to your archieve on the last page of your Home and click on the archieve to see all books that you have previously deleted. Note that this archieve only saves books that you downloaded from Amazon. Others must be redownloaded from their source or from you own backups on a PC harddrive.

Posted on Jan 26, 2011 5:21:09 PM PST
the "archive" is just a list Amazon keeps of all your Kindle purchases, minus those currently on the device, be it Kindle itself or K4PC, etc. When you delete a book from a device, it gets added to the "archive" for that device. If you download an item to a device, it is no longer listed as being part of the "archive" for that device, but would still show up in the "archive" for other devices on the same AMazon account. There is no charge to re-download a book. Publishers may set a limit on how many devices a book can be on at the same time.

Posted on Jan 26, 2011 5:26:18 PM PST
Casey says:
You can also redownload a book by going to your account and clicking on "kindle orders" under the orders section. There will be a list of all your kindle purchases with the option at the right to redeliver them.

I downloaded Kindle for PC onto my computer so that I can cut and paste files from my Kindle to my computer for "storage" per se. Granted, over half of my ebooks aren't from Kindle, so relying on the archive for me is impractical. Also, I'm not sure if cutting and pasting is something I should recommend to people, it's just how I manage my library... alongside a lengthy list of collections. :)

Posted on Jan 26, 2011 5:36:04 PM PST
R. Wilde says:
One caveat here about the archive... as far as I can tell, it only archives books gotten from Amazon.

I don't have wifi at home, so when I got my Kindle last Friday (and couldn't figure out how to register the device on the website), I downloaded a public domain book from Project Gutenberg and transferred it to my Kindle, so I'd have something to read until I could use the hotspot at work on Monday. When I finished the book and deleted it from the Kindle, it was completely gone, so I just need to redownload it if I want to read it again.

Posted on Jan 26, 2011 5:41:51 PM PST
right. the archive is a list that Amazon keeps of your Amazon Kindle purchases. How could amazon keep a record of books you've purchased elsewhere? However, unless you deleted it, there should still be a copy of the book on whatever computer you first downloaded the book to. If you connect the Kindle back to the computer, you can make your own back-up archive that includes all your puchases, not just the Amazon ones.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2011 7:13:16 PM PST
R. Wilde says:
I realize that, and I would have been very surprised if the Project Gutenberg download had been archived. I just wanted to explicitly point out that only Amazon purchases were Archived, in case some other new user read this thread and got the wrong idea.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2011 7:19:22 PM PST
ShirleyKat says:
And that was good, because if no one else mentioned it I would have done it too.

Posted on Jun 10, 2011 2:46:21 AM PDT
Billy says:
So what everyone is saying is that the Amazon "server" (if one wishes to call it such) is essentially like a cloud device? Is there a limit as to how much can be stored in the archive and if this is the case will it automatically delete items once it runs out of space?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2011 3:34:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 10, 2011 3:41:26 AM PDT
dawnsong says:
@Mark
I doubt there is a limit to the number of books an account can "own" on Amazon. Amazon is certainly not storing a separate copy of every book purchased by every account. On their server, they are likely storing only one copy *period* of a given book (not counting backups). Then they maintain records for each account, indicating whether it has the right to download a copy of that "master". Your book notes, etc. are maintained separately from the actual book.

Another thing to be aware of...
It is possible to permanently DELETE a book from your account. That cannot be done from the reading device (which can only do a REMOVE). DELETE must be done from your "Manage Your Kindle" page on the Amazon website.

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 5:13:41 PM PDT
Seal says:
how can i back up my notes and highlights i have made on my kindle? can i store them on my computer so incase the book on the kindle is deleted, my notes won't be?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2011 6:05:15 PM PDT
If it's a book you got from Amazon, you don't have to worry. When you download the book again, the notes will be there. In fact, once they get the library lending function working, you will be able to make notes, highlights, etc., and if you decide later that you want to buy the book from Amazon, your notes will show up in the copy you buy.

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 6:06:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 27, 2011 6:08:32 PM PDT
Willber G says:
I get the impression from this thread that some people routinely delete books once they have read them. If this is the case, then why, when the Kindle holds 3000+ books? I just put them into one of my "Finished" collections (I have four to indicate how much I have enjoyed a book).

Not that it's any of my business what others choose to do, of course. ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2011 6:29:59 PM PDT
Seal says:
thanks, that's helpful.

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 6:57:17 AM PDT
Haven't you noticed that when you go to delete a book from your Kindle that it does not say "Deleted" but "Remove from Device". It then goes into your archive file. You will also notice that your Archived Items File number will increase by 1. If you are removing an item from your device and it says "Delete" then it may be permanently removed. The exceptions are some publications where you can keep old issues.

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 7:00:18 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 28, 2011 7:00:59 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2011 7:10:38 AM PDT
@Wiber G. You can keep the finished books on your Kindle indefinitely (Kindle will let you know if it is running out of space) or you can remove them back into the archives -- your preference, and EITHER WAY all those Amazon purchased books are available to you. Some people remove only the ones they'd be unlikely to re-read, some people store almost everything (read and unread) in the archive until needed. Depends on how you prefer to keep house, and whether or not you are willing to wade through a mass of material onboard.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 28, 2011 7:11:45 AM PDT
@Brook Song: LIke your name. Are you a Doctor Who fan?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 28, 2011 6:37:56 PM PDT
i still want to delet some books off mine kindle pc but it still there so how could get rid of it

Posted on Feb 27, 2012 3:06:20 PM PST
I have just purchased a book but accidently deleted it, its on my list of purchases, but every time I try to reinstall it it gets deleted as soon as its completed.. how do you stop it doing this?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2013 3:09:15 AM PST
i thought Amazon was the only place to buy e books for Kindle. Where else can you get them from?

Posted on Mar 1, 2013 2:14:12 AM PST
what happens if i delete metadata from my kindle library?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Update 4.9 Now Available
0 2 days ago
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
60 10 days ago
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
FREE Books & Chat - May 2015 869 5 minutes ago
We're So Quirky, Our Chihuahuas Ride Bicycles! So Geese and Tally Ho! 9041 6 minutes ago
Goodbye Amazon and Kindle Fire HD 7 69 13 minutes ago
When will the rest of the Sebastian St Cyr be available on Kindle. 8 21 minutes ago
How is the text-to-speech 5 27 minutes ago
Amazon Echo (no invite questions) 3886 32 minutes ago
Add to cart instead of 1 click buy 14 33 minutes ago
Amazon Echo 5275 48 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Jan 26, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions