Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

local library books on kindle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 12, 2013 11:44:25 AM PDT
Has anyone gotten a local library book to read on their Kindle? How difficult was the process?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2013 11:57:57 AM PDT
SKC says:
Not at all difficult. However one book i am number 1 on the wait list for (and have been since the request) has been " stuck" for about five weeks, and I still haven't gotten the email saying it's available for download. That's the only problem I've had. As long as your library has ebooks, just download overdrive media and follow instructions. It's really just like buying a book.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2013 12:08:54 PM PDT
flipoid says:
If you have an e-ink Kindle you would not use the Overdrive Media Console. Also, if you get Kindle format and not ePub format, you would not use the Overdrive Media Console at all.

For complete instructions, check here:

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2013 12:29:19 PM PDT
Artist says:
I borrow library books all the time, and it's no more difficult than buying a book on Amazon. I do have to do a few extra steps if I want the book on my K2, since it doesn't have Wi-Fi, but on my KK it's a breeze.

I just got a Fire and that's easy, too, except it's done through the overdrive app. The one thing I don't like about it is that I can't return the book when I finish it before the time is up like I can with a Kindle book.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2013 12:40:56 PM PDT
I don't even use the overdrive app on my fire. I just ensure that all books borrowed are kindle versions.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2013 1:14:18 PM PDT
Artist says:
The book I borrowed didn't have a Kindle version. If there is one, I borrow it for my e-readers, not my Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2013 1:48:02 PM PDT
flipoid says:
Yes, you should be able to return the book early if it's an ePub. In the Overdrive app, you select the menu that's on the right side by the book title (not sure exactly what it says and I don't have my Fire handy and I don't have any ePub books checked out right now). But you can choose either to delete the book, or "return, then delete."

There are some books (Open ePub is one format) that won't allow you to do an early return.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2013 2:00:25 PM PDT
Artist says:
Thanks for that info. Since the book opened whenever I tapped the overdrive app, I didn't see a menu. What I had to do was, while the book was open, tap on the overdrive icon on the top left. That then gave me options, and one of them was to return the book.

I don't think I'm keeping the Fire. I'm only getting 4 hours battery life with wireless turned off and no apps running.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2013 2:10:44 PM PDT
Zanzibar says:
If you have an open epub to borrow, change your library settings before you click borrow to 1 week loan and then it will time out in 7 days instead of the usual default. You just have to be sure you change your library setting before you click borrow. After you borrow, you can change your setting back. I had a couple that I had to wait out for 3 weeks because I didn't know how the open epubs worked.

Posted on Oct 12, 2013 2:58:05 PM PDT
Retired EE says:
I leave the Wi-Fi on all the time on my KF HD 7 and consistently get 8 hours or more reading time on a charge. I normally charge nightly after 3 to 4 hours of reading with 50% or more charge remaining. My use yesterday was extra hard, about 7 hours reading with 25% remaining. I use the free version of the App Battery HD to check the usage. you have to run a calibration cycle before you can get useful data from the App.

Posted on Oct 12, 2013 3:20:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2013 3:22:10 PM PDT
Retired EE says:
On the KF you can use the Overdrive app to download a kindle formatted library eBook. The overdrive app once setup for your library provides direct library access with a few taps without using a PC or a browser. It uses its built in browser. You must have a Wi-Fi connection of course. Once in the library you find your book and select the format. If the kindle format is available selecting that takes you back to the Amazon one-click purchase page to select the book for download to your Kindle account. If the Kindle format isn't available or the Kindle format eBook requires a USB transfer and the ePub format is available then you can download the ePub format to the Overdrive app.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2013 6:13:05 AM PDT
Sarida says:
I use my PC to check out Kindle books. I like the larger screen and can have multiple windows open to review books.

Since I have multiple devices registered to my Amazon account, I can also go to Manage Your Kindle and send the book to another device as well.

Posted on Oct 15, 2013 5:23:00 PM PDT
Thank you all for the help. Just need to download the Overdrive app. Thanks again Joyce
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
What's New in IOS Version 4.12?
56 2 days ago
Introducing Fire-Setting an Entirely New Standard for a Tablet under $50
0 Sep 18, 2015
Introducing the All-New Fire HD: Powerful Tablets Designed for Entertainment
0 Sep 18, 2015
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
How do you register your kindle fire? 12 50 seconds ago
SwagBucks Thread 8599 2 minutes ago
Never again buy a pre release 4 3 minutes ago
The Quirkier, The Better! Bring Your Dogs, Cats, Exploding Chickens, So Geese, Fighting Turkeys, Goats, Fluffy Sheep, Cows, Velvet Monkeys, Big Honking Bats, Fishlettes And Cherie! Tally Ho! 4878 3 minutes ago
83 and we're RAoKing PRIME 6602 5 minutes ago
siriusxm update 8 6 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 4574 19 minutes ago
How to upload pictures from my Kindle Fire to my Facebook account? 34 20 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Oct 12, 2013
Latest post:  Oct 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions