Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Books in Series - hard to organize

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 12, 2011 1:52:01 PM PDT
Anyone else having trouble keeping track of the order of books in a series? I wish the Kindle version would have "Book 1", "Book 2" in the title. The Dresden Files and others have MULTIPLE books and neither sort by author or sort by title will put them in order. At least this way, hovering over it would show which one is which without a long search for the print publication date. I've seen a few books done like this and wish it was the standard.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2011 1:52:41 PM PDT
I use fictfact.com to keep track of the order of books.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2011 1:55:42 PM PDT
I use Calibre to do this. I have somewhere around 150 series on my Kindle, and my Home page shows Marple - 01 - The Murder at the Vicarage, Marple - 02 - Thirteen Problems, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2011 1:56:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 12, 2011 1:57:29 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
I use a program called Calibre to manage my Kindle library. You can change the names or add to it. I usually add Book 1 "Title". You can also show which book it is in the series with the metadata.

M. Francis beat me to it!! :)

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 1:58:41 PM PDT
I use fictfact.com and I keep a spreadsheet of all my books with a column for the series name and book number.

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 2:04:04 PM PDT
J S says:
It won't help you manage it on your Kindle, but both Wikipedia and Goodreads help me keep very long series in order. The two big ones I read are Dresden Files and Terry Pratchett's Discworld books. When I plowed through the Discworld series a few years ago, Wikipedia's page on it helped me sort out which volume was next.

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 2:10:59 PM PDT
Susan Solin says:
Fictfact.com is what I use too. It doesn't help you manage your kindle but it gives you a list of all the books in order. If you use and enjoy fictfact I think it helps them (somehow) if you link threw there site to amazon. So basically I look up the next book in the series in fictfact, click on it and then click onto the amazon link to order.

The other thing that is nice about fictfact is they are very willing to work with readers. Several times I've sent them e-mails asking about books in a series or telling them about a series I'm reading and they are really quick to add them to their site!

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 3:18:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 12, 2011 3:19:31 PM PDT
K. Gabriel says:
I use fictfact and cut/paste or type the list on the Notepad on my computer and transfer the list to the notepad app for the kindle. This way I have the list available if I am in a wi-fi zone or not.

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 3:29:18 PM PDT
Carbonbased says:
I keep a little (paper) notebook of series I'm filling in as they become available or go on sale--like Tim Dorsey's Serge Storms books. For series that I have all or most of, like Liturgical Mysteries, I have a collection (Order In The Court!) to which I add the titles in reverse order. As long as I don't open the books within the collection, they stay in the same place. I can go there and right-click on the next title and add it to my 'currently reading' collection and open it from there without affecting the arrangement.

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 3:40:50 PM PDT
L. Boyd says:
I like others, use Calibre to organize all my series. This is so much easier than having to constantly refer to a website to know which book is next. I keep my books organized by Collections so on the home page you might see:

Talk Radio Mystery - Kenndy, Mary

Once I go into the Collection, you see:

01-Dead Air
02-Reel Murder

For single, non serial books, I created a Collection called, "Single Novels". Love the functionality that Calibre provides to keep my series neat and orderly.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 12, 2011 3:50:07 PM PDT
SavageLove says:
If you want to have the books appear in a collection in a specific order, there is no way to do it on the Kindle itself. However, there is a program called Calibre you can use to edit the metadata like the title for instance, so that the books will stay in a specific order after using sort by title. I have found that using Calibre to edit the metadata will allow me to have the books of a series in order from the first to last book.

If you want your books to be ordered by when they appear in a series, here's what you do: Download Calibre, it is an ebook organizer program and follow these steps to get the books from the Kindle to Calibre, edit the data and back onto the Kindle.

1. Connect the Kindle to your computer after downloading Calibre.

2. At the top of the Calibre, once the Kindle is connected, you will see a device button and a library button. Click the device button and that will show you the books on your Kindle at the moment.

3. Now you need to add those books to your Calibre library. The easiest way to do this is to click the book at the top, press and hold the shift key and then press the down arrow until all of the books are highlighted, then drag the books to the library button and let go. This will transfer the books to your Calibre library. It will take a few moments or longer depending on how many books you have. Once the adding is done, press the library button to go back to the Calibre library and check over the books there to make sure all of your books are there.

4. Now, to edit the data, you have to do it one book at a time, I'm afraid. Also, you cannot use just numbers because in your Kindle a 10 will go right after a 1. You have to do this: A1. , A2. .... A9. and you cannot go past 9 so you will have to go to the next letter, B, C, D... I have found that A1 and B1 will not appear next to each other like with 1 and 10. To edit the data, right click on a book and select edit metadata individually. Oh, and if you want it so that your collections are ordered in a specific way like your books will be, do this: A1.1 Collection Title, A1.2... A1.9, A2.1... A9.9. I have found that in this way, I can sort my homepage by Title and keep my collection in the way I want them with the books all following at the end. If you do this with your collections, you cannot use "A" as your starting organizer for the book titles otherwise the books will appear before the collections on the homescreen. You'll have to start with "B" for the book titles and just keep using "A" for your collections, like so: A1.1-A9.9, AA1.1-AA9.9...

5. To edit the title, just go in and add A1. or which ever number and letter before the title of the book with a period and a space, like so: A1. The Cat Who Could Read Backwards. If you also edit the series category, it will keep the book series together in Calibre too.

6. Once you have edited the books, click the book at the top, press and hold the shift key and then press the down arrow until all of the books are highlighted, then press the send to device button. This will send all of your books to yout Kindle at the same time and will take a while depending on how many books you have. There is a little spinning icon that shows this at the bottom right corner of Calibre.

7. Once that is done, go into the computer icon, right click on the Kindle icon and eject the Kindle. This will eject the Kindle from your computer and allow you to work with it.

8. Now the tedious part. You will have two of the same book on your Kindle, the ones you edited and the ones from before. You have to delete all of the ones from before and then add the ones you edited to your collections, individually. Then, have the collection be sorted by Title and all of the books will remain in the same place based on how you numbered them.

And that's it. Once they are on your Kindle, in their collections and organized by title, your books will be ordered exactly how you want them to be. I hope this will help you.

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 5:23:52 PM PDT
Debi says:
I use Calibre also, but I also copy and paste the Author's books in http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/ If you save them in word and convert them, they're still clickable and you can read reviews and other stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2011 12:45:04 AM PDT
GDabney says:
Debra, I use fictfact.com when I want to know the order of books in a series.

Posted on Aug 13, 2011 1:06:18 AM PDT
Danica says:
SavageLove makes the numbering more cumbersome than it needs to be. I follow the example of CD track lists and number my series books starting with 01, which means I can follow 09 with 10 and go on from there as far as necessary without resorting to prefixes.

Posted on Aug 13, 2011 3:40:26 AM PDT
GreyDay says:
In Calibre also edit the publication date. On your kindle for books sorted by author they are listed in order of publication date. I pick a year for each separate series by an author and have book 1 with a pub date of that year Jan 1, the next book that year Feb 1, ect. I thought the titles looked too long with the series name added so I just change the titles to look like: Title [1], Next Title [2], ect. Editing the pub dates separates the individual series well enough.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 12:43:13 AM PST
I have downloaded Calibre to my computer.Please tell me what I have to do next. Do I transfer Calibre to my Kindle,(3.4)?
I will appreciate any help you can give me.
I really want to sort the books in the collection by publication date.
Can you please send the answer to my email address

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2013 12:51:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2013 12:54:25 PM PDT
Thank you all so much! Many mentioned Calibre but you (SavageLove) went to the trouble of making a brief step-by-step user's guide - I was able to quickly organize my first collection, though I didn't use your codes since using 01, 02, etc. as others suggested allows me to have up to 99 books in a collection appear in the correct order. And I will find FictFact useful for my non-ebooks as well

Posted on Oct 12, 2013 1:16:53 PM PDT
I just copy the list of books from wikipedia or goodreads into a Word document, then email it to my Kindle. It works great.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2013 2:18:04 PM PDT
Zanzibar says:
I've found it easiest to just create a collection for the series, then sort by most recent. Then I open each book, then close, starting with the last and they will be in order. I leave the ones read at the end so the progress dots show they've been read and the next to read is easy to find below the read ones and the current one will always be at the top. Or I could delete or remove from the collection as I read them to clear them out.

Of course, that only works for kindles that have collections.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
News: Software Update for Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, and Kindle
0 17 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces New Kindle Paperwhite: The Most Popular Kindle, Now Even Better
0 Jun 18, 2015
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Free App of the Day gone? 11 1 minute ago
Pricing 6 2 minutes ago
Welcome To The Quirky Zoo! Home To Many Exotic and Everyday Creatures Including a Platypus! 7450 3 minutes ago
BAAA© Amazing Kindle Books and Helpful Tips #3 3435 13 minutes ago
Kindle Fire & Scrabble 88 14 minutes ago
KINDLE KITCHEN #5: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food 2289 15 minutes ago
Kindle delivery 2 18 minutes ago
Bookerly font contrast doesn't seem to be that good 13 19 minutes ago
My kindle fire hd won't turn on 349 20 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Aug 12, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions