Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Does the Kindle Fire support local video streaming?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 75 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 28, 2011 11:03:41 AM PDT
Does the Fire only stream video from the web (amazon, netflix, etc.) or will it stream local content, e.g. acting as a DLNA client to a server on my home network? The value proposition is much higher for me if I am able to stream shows that I've recorded/stored locally.

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 11:34:44 AM PDT
Agreed -- it would be very nice to be able to have the Kindle Fire automatically notice my Windows Home Server 2011 content and be able to view/stream it.

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 11:36:02 AM PDT
SeaLevel274 says:
There's an app for that!

Or maybe there will be someday.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2011 11:46:40 AM PDT
Yes, I would love to know that there is a (non-free, even) DLNA client app, but I have yet to find one. I would pre-order the Fire today if I knew for sure that this supports exists. I'd still have to transcode all my content (or configure my DLNA server to do the transcoding on the fly), but it would be worth getting the device just to see how well (or not) it works.

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 11:54:15 AM PDT
This is what is currently stopping me from pressing the buy it now button.

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 11:57:51 AM PDT
A. Turner says:
I don't think this is compatable with NetFlix, which is why Amazon has been advertising their new instant viewing with the Prime membership. If this will work with NetFlix, I just might buy one. Does anyone know?

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 12:02:03 PM PDT
Mary McManus says:
There is no Netflix app in the Amazon app store. Nor is there a Nook app in case anyone was wondering. Amazon has a ton of streaming video. You get one free month of Prime during which time a lot of video is free. After that you can choose or not to have Prime. I have had it since it began and it has saved me a lot of shipping charges. I would have paid way more than $79 a year for shipping on all the stuff I buy at Amazon.

Posted on Sep 28, 2011 12:44:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2011 12:44:33 PM PDT
EPMoto2002 says:
I'm kinda doubting you can stream any video that isn't directly hosted on Amazon's servers. And the fact that the Fire doesn't have removable storage, I'm kinda wondering if you'll even be able to sideload your own video content directly to the Kindle Fire via WiFi or USB connection?

Posted on Sep 29, 2011 6:31:22 AM PDT
T. Ciuriak says:
It needs to be able to view stuff on my home media server (i.e. *my* cloud) not just Amazon's. If I can *only* use Amazon's service it's an ultimate deal breaker. DLNA would be a big benefit too.

Posted on Oct 3, 2011 11:13:13 AM PDT
A. Riker says:
What is a home media server?

And I just want to know if I'll be able to use my Netflix that I pay only $7.99 per month for, rather than paying Amazon to watch the same movies.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 9:22:43 AM PDT
I am using SoftMedia Player Pro on gTablet (Android 2.2 ) as client and Serviio as DLNA server.
Since Kindle Fire is based on Android 2.3 it should work with it too.

Posted on Oct 5, 2011 9:43:17 AM PDT
T. E. Maddox says:
The Amazon Kindle VP said in an interview that has been linked many times that there have already been talks with Netflix, Pandora and others to get their apps on the Fire. So, I would guess we will see them even if they are not ready at release.

Posted on Oct 12, 2011 1:25:50 PM PDT
Nibbles says:
We need an answer on this from Amazon.

I will not buy/pre-order until I know that I can stream my 1080p (h.264/AAC) MP4 video content from my home server (Windows Server 2008 R2 over SMB). As far as I can tell, this file type is supported, as well as these codecs, but I can find nothing that suggest that local storage may be accessed over the built-in wireless-N connection.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2011 5:40:53 PM PDT
You will need a DLNA Server running on the home server and a DLNA client (player) on the tablet to play the media content. The DLNA server can also do transcoding based on the capabilities of the DLNA client.

I have a similar configuration: Serviio running on Windows 2008 R2 as DLNA server and SoftMedia Player Pro running on gTablet as media player.
Not sure if Kindle Fire supports this client but it should since gTablet has Android 2.2 and Kindle is 2.3.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2011 4:34:27 PM PST
try "PlayOn" it can be annoying sometimes,but it works. I also really like Mezzmo. I don't know if either will work with the Fire, however. I kind of doubt it.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 11:22:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2011 11:24:12 PM PST
jakoh says:
Yes it does support streaming using skifta (there is one other option but skifta works great) and it is available in the amazon app store for free. Works like a charm to view content from your home server.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 2:21:46 PM PST
Yes we just tried it and it works fine.

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 4:53:16 PM PST
Alan W says:
Fire does support Netflix, as well as Amazon Prime.

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 11:51:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2011 11:52:49 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 20, 2011 12:19:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2011 12:20:05 AM PST
I was able to stream content from my Windows Home Server 2011 with Skifta (DLNA streaming). It works well. However, I have most of my music as WMA (Windows Media Audio) files, and most of my new videos are AVCHD (from my HD camcorder), so I'm going to have to do some transcoding to get them to play on the kindle. Viewing my pictures (JPEG) and some AVI movies worked fine.

Definitely give Skifta a try.

So, minus the camera functionality, the Kindle do most of what other higher end tables can do.

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 8:38:19 PM PST
Scuba_Grl says:
Does Kindle Fire support live HTTP video streaming, such as HLS or HDS? Does it support Silverlight or MPEG-DASH? What's the full list of supported audio and video codecs and streaming protocls?

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 6:29:00 AM PST
art says:
I too have used Skifta and aVia media player to stream mp4 files from my pc using DLNA streaming. Had to convert to mp4 using the free "super" video converter first.

Then I found the mobo video player. This is not in the amazon appstore so you'll have to get the apk somewhere (or root your Fire and install the Android Market). Not everyone will want to go through that trouble, but if you do, it opens you up to more video formats. I THOUGHT I read that mobo supports http and rtsp streaming but I don't see that in the description now, so I don't remember where I saw it.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 5:53:03 PM PST
Can I get windows media player in kindle fire. ?,?

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 8:04:17 PM PST
Haidozo says:
Most of the things discussed can be accomplished with two apps installed on your Kindle Fire.

Step 1. First, do an Internet search for "moboplayer apk" and get the file. This is a free app. Then, go into the Fire Device configuration and turn ON "Allow Installation of Applications From Unknown Sources." Install MoboPLayer. This gives you the ability to watch video in different formats besides MP4 on your Fire. Avi, mkv, divx, and mpg will play without a problem and others may too. At this point, MoboPlayer will play your video files that are physically on your Fire. To expand that capability to your network and media servers, follow step 2.

Step 2. Get the free Skifta app from the Amazon Android app store and install it. Now, you have Skifta+MoboPlayer network capability (when properly configured) to stream video in numerous formats from DLNA compliant NAS (network attached storage) or servers to your Fire. You can also use Skifta to stream YOUR video FROM your Fire and TO your DLNA compliant TV. The streaming works amazingly well and there's no need to bother with re-encoding files to MP4--just watch what you have, the format won't matter any more. Remember, to watch video streams, you're going to select the Skifta app and choose the media source, the player, and folder and video. Once you do that, MoboPlayer takes over.

It's easy to do and there's no chance of a fatal problem. The most likely thing to happen is that you can't get the streaming working. That would probably be a configuration/user/password/security issue somewhere between your Fire and your server/NAS.

Good luck.

Posted on Nov 30, 2011 5:30:59 AM PST
art says:
I would add step 3 to Haidozo's post.

If you want to be able to stream from your PC (as opposed to a NAS or other device), and you have windows 7, all you need to do is start up Windows media player and in the "stream" menu turn on the "automatically allow devices to play my media" option. Now skifta will be able to see everything in your videos, pictures, and music libraries.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Software Update for the Original Kindle Paperwhite
0 4 days ago
Announcement
News: Kindle for Android app Update 4.13 Now Available
0 10 days ago
Announcement
Amazon Introduces New Kindle Paperwhite: The Most Popular Kindle, Now Even Better
0 18 days ago
Announcement
News: Kindle for iOS Update 4.9 Now Available
0 May 27, 2015
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 Mar 20, 2015
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
60 May 19, 2015
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
Amazon Echo 6049 1 minute ago
RAOK 82 has a spring in its step! 4617 4 minutes ago
Access Lending library with prime when using ipad kindle reader 250 4 minutes ago
Suggestions for Kindle features 520 5 minutes ago
is kindle paperwhite format obsolete (ebook only for Fire )? 6 9 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  58
Total posts:  75
Initial post:  Sep 28, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 14 customers

Search Customer Discussions