Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

When will kindle get Google Play?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 13, 2014 9:58:04 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2014 10:01:02 AM PDT
When do you think the Play Store will be on iPads?

Posted on May 13, 2014 10:05:55 AM PDT
Most apps are available elsewhere if they aren't available from Amazon. I believe there is one called 1mobile, and a couple of other web sites with Android apps for download. You just have to enable the ability to install 3rd party apps on your Fire.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2014 10:15:14 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on May 13, 2014 10:27:21 AM PDT
Do you shop for Fords at a Volvo Dealer? You could, but why bother? If you want Google play apps, buy a Google tablet, and shop at Google's app store.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2014 10:31:28 AM PDT
King Al says:
Most people want Google Play for the apps, NOT music or books.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2014 10:39:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2014 10:40:14 AM PDT
Brian Long says: "When will kindle get Google Play?"

Simple answer... When Google changes their attitude of full control and allows it. Right now Google demands full control over any Android device that is given access to the Play store. Their device requirements, as they stand now, are keeping Play from even being an option on a Fire because some of the central the Fire OS modifications (like no widgets) violate Google's requirements. Google also requires that for a company to have even 1 Google app (like the Play store) on an Android device it has to have their full suite of Google apps be included on the device and made the primary apps for their respective activities. They are being sued in Europe over that last issue.

"but without GP its like having a car with only three working tires."

Uh, no. It's like shopping at a Best Buy and complaining that there is no way to shop from Amazon built into the store.

Posted on May 13, 2014 10:52:51 AM PDT
T. Cook says:
"I wish there was a question segment on the Kindle page for stuff like this"

You mean like this place?
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/ref=cm_cd_tfp_ef_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1D7SY3BVSESG&cdThread=Tx1GOX8US99ERU8

"When will kindle get Google Play?"

Probably when Google buys Amazon, or Amazon buys Google. Competitors rarely offer the competition's products...

"Thats basically the only reason I haven't bought a bakers dozen of these"

That's the only reason you haven't bought 13 of them? I'd assume an additional reason would be not having 13 (or 26) hands...

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2014 11:01:38 AM PDT
Thats actually an answer. Thank you. I just got frustrated with page after page of advice thats basically "If you want more than 10 apps on your Fire, just void your warranty and get GP or Apple App Store." Unless I'm doing the wrong search about it, theres nothing out there that describes this.

"Uh, no. It's like shopping at a Best Buy and complaining that there is no way to shop from Amazon built into the store."

Okay, maybe not the best metaphor. But to my mind its like going into a Best Buy, having the guy at the door say they're full service, and finding only 20 pieces of software makes up half the store, they have no in-store vendors, and the only way to get anything else is to get a piece of software to get permission to go to a different store. That makes no sense.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2014 11:12:24 AM PDT
And that's why you want it? For the book selection?

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2014 11:33:35 AM PDT
Carbonbased says:
Silly wabbit, he wants it because all the kool kidz are playing [insert name of proprietary Google game here] and it's sooooo hard to find an equivalent app in the Amazon app store.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2014 11:36:32 AM PDT
Just Peachy says:
Ten apps?
hahahahaha
I have a lot more apps than that and I don't download very many.

The few I have that didn't come from the app store came from websites that had great instructions on how to sideload to a fire.

What are these super important apps you can't find in the Amazon Appstore?

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2014 11:38:00 AM PDT
Does Amazon not offer Giant Boulder of Death? Because that game is awesome. And then there's all the crushing of course.

I had a Fire for less than a week before I sent it back. I hope to never have cause to look in the Amazon app store.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2014 11:49:03 AM PDT
Carbonbased says:
To each his own. I've tried a few of the game apps, but clearly I am not part of the target market. All my Fires work as promised on their respective product pages.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2014 12:18:26 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
If Google Play is that important to you then why didn't you buy one of many, many, many tablets out there that have it?

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2014 12:19:55 PM PDT
R. D. Clark says:
In order to use the Google Play Store to buy apps, your device has to be certified as a genuine Android device by Google.

When do you think Google with thus certify an Amazon device? When do you think Amazon will be willing to pay Google for such certification?

If you said "never, never," you're batting a thousand.

Posted on May 13, 2014 12:29:41 PM PDT
When will Google allow Amazon to have Google Play on Kindles? Whenever Amazon decides to discontinue its own App Store.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2014 4:33:14 PM PDT
T. Schiel says:
The inserted Google game for kool kids is Farmville 2 Country Escape...my grandkids love to play it. Solution Brian, buy an Android tablet to complement your Kindle Tablet like I did, my son, did, my daughters did. No more Google Play versus Kindle appstore wars. There are plenty of inexpensive android tabs to be had, new, used or refurbished.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2014 5:07:51 AM PDT
Sarida says:
I bought my mom a Fire because it does NOT have open access to every Android app out there.

I wanted the protection Amazon offers by offering it's own Android. The Fire setup is very user friendly. Using it is a breeze for her.

It's exactly as I want it for her!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Welcome to the Kindle Discussion Forum - A Congregation of Kindle Enthusiasts
0 7 days ago
Announcement
Meet other story lovers at Write On by Kindle
36 7 days ago
Announcement
Enjoy your print books and personal documents on your Kindle with Kindle Convert.
0 Feb 2, 2015
Could someone explain what the changes in Amazon Cloud mean for Kindle owners? 138 12 seconds ago
My kindle will not connect to wifi 54 4 minutes ago
RAoK Room 81 is ready to serve you..... 7227 16 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - Saturday 28th March, 2015 14 18 minutes ago
Kindle switches to wifi by itself 2 19 minutes ago
Is my Kindle giving up on life? 1 21 minutes ago
Potentially Perky People - Part Deux 5259 36 minutes ago
Amazon Echo (no invite questions) 3109 36 minutes ago
Amazon Echo 3903 36 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  May 13, 2014
Latest post:  May 14, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions