Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

Dead battery

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 22, 2012 5:31:12 PM PDT
MaggieMae says:
I guess I let the battery go dead. How do I recharge since it won't turn on?

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 5:34:22 PM PDT
Plug it in.

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 5:34:52 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
Plug it in...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 5:43:57 PM PDT
Plug it in?

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 5:45:23 PM PDT
MaggieMae says:
Duh...I have plugged it in, but the kindle fire won't recharge unless it is turned on. And it won't turn on because the battery is dead.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 5:47:36 PM PDT
SeaLevel274 says:
Leave it plugged in overnight.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 5:51:27 PM PDT
MaggieMae says:
Thanks I have had it plugged in for about 8 hours with no luck so far.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 5:55:23 PM PDT
flipoid says:
Have you tried a hard reset, MaggieMae? Unplug the Kindle, hold the power button in for 30 seconds (count them). Let go of the power button after those 30 seconds and the Kindle should restart itself (the words "Kindle Fire" will display on the screen, and then you'll get the slider screen (to unlock the Kindle to use it).

If the Kindle doesn't restart after you let the power button go, press it quickly again as if you were normally turning it on.

If that doesn't work, then click "Help" at the top of this page, select Kindle Help, then click the "Contact Us" button that'll be on the right side of the page.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 6:01:42 PM PDT
MaggieMae says:
You are awesome! That did the trick. Thank you so much! I would have been lost without my kindle fire.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 6:03:00 PM PDT
flipoid says:
I'm glad I could help. (-:

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 6:12:57 PM PDT
I keep seeing that the Kindle Fire, will not charge without being on, even if it is in sleep mode. I can't figure out why mine charges while being off.

I plug it in each night, when it comes on, I turn off the WiFi, and then shut it down. When I get up in the morning it is charged 100%.

Maybe mine is different that everyone else's.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2012 8:11:30 PM PDT
Jazzy_Jeff says:
They don't need to be on to charge. I don't know of any device with that restriction. How else would you charge it if the battery goes dead?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 3:26:27 PM PST
Tracy says:
Thanks I had the same problem and that did the trick.

Posted on Mar 9, 2013 2:36:34 PM PST
T. Aikens says:
Thanks for the 30 seconds count them, my battery was dead after the green light came on showing it charged I could not get it to start up. I would hold the power button for 10 seconds and still nothing, I was ready to crack into it and replace the battery. Thanks for getting me back to reading today...

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 2:41:35 PM PST
plug it in and wait

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2013 3:37:13 AM PDT
Thank you so much. Was also having the same problem.

Posted on May 2, 2013 12:53:36 PM PDT
I removed my old battery and apparently lost my archived items. Any suggestions as to how to recover the acrchived books?

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2013 12:56:11 PM PDT
Meya says:
Jerry, register the Kindle to the account that has your books.

When you removed the battery, that would have wiped everything from the Kindle. You'll need to re-download your books.

Posted on Jun 2, 2013 3:11:31 AM PDT
Paul A. Wood says:
Hey , teh hard reboot option has worked for my regular Kindle and brought back to life after Amazon CS decalired it dead !!

Thanks for teh tip, you should make this available under FAQ

:)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2013 1:07:02 PM PDT
D Dennis says:
Thank you very much for this extremely useful info. I had a very dead battery, left to charge and still nothing. Now all working again. Thanks again

Posted on Jul 20, 2013 6:21:35 AM PDT
Misterphips says:
The 30 second hold, then release, then press quickly worked for me. Thank you. Great advice and a stress reliever for me this morning.
Robert

Posted on Jul 20, 2013 6:22:55 AM PDT
Misterphips says:
I tried the 30 hold, release, then click and it worked. Thank you. It was a great stress reliever this morning after several minutes of frustration.
Misterphips
BW

Posted on Aug 31, 2013 4:54:38 PM PDT
I have the original kindle and it has a dead battery screen. I do as it suggests, charging for hours and then unplugging and doing a reset but still no change. Is it possible the battery is all the way dead? Can it be replaced?

Posted on Aug 31, 2013 4:56:33 PM PDT
I have the original kindle and it has a dead battery screen. I do as it suggests, charging for hours and then unplugging and doing a reset but still no change. Is it possible the battery is all the way dead? Can it be replaced?

Posted on Aug 31, 2013 4:56:40 PM PDT
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle for Android 4.6
51 8 hours ago
Announcement
NEWS: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Generation Software Update 5.4.5.1
52 10 hours ago
Announcement
Update re: Amazon/Hachette Business Interruption
0 23 days ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
Dragi's Croatian Crab Shack and Wine Bar - The times they are a changin' 3562 1 minute ago
looking for a book 0 5 minutes ago
Droid TV Primetime app 384 18 minutes ago
FREE Books & Chat - Wed/Thurs August 20 & 21, 2014 129 19 minutes ago
We're an International Quirky Bunch! Put on Your Chiffon and Taffeta, Sashay In, Pet a Midnight Goat, Cat or Dog, Crack Open Your Stelvin Closures and Say "Hi" to Cherie! 3347 26 minutes ago
remove virus on Fire 74 32 minutes ago
Anyone heard if there is a new ereader on the horizon? 25 34 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  34
Initial post:  Apr 22, 2012
Latest post:  14 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions