Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

100 day challenge

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 731 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 31, 2013 12:23:32 PM PST
robb says:
I saw this challenge a few days ago and thought it was a great idea. My motivation for getting out and moving has slowed way down.

If you google 100 day challenge there a a few to choose from but this one is by The Penguin aka John Bingham. Basically for the next 100 the challenge is to "purposely" move.
That means you get up and go for a walk or run or swim or play for at least 30 minutes a day.

I also know that resolutions or promises made to ourselves can easily be discarded in a few hours or days but are harder to do so if you tell others about it. Ergo a new thread is born. Another way is to have a calendar or make one and put a big red X on the days you accomplish your goals.

Threads are strange animals and I maybe only talking to myself here. I hope not. I would love others to drop in and chat and/or say "yes, I was able to put a big red X on my calendar today." Or talk about motivation. Get some. Give some.

This can be any challenge really. As I said, my focus is on moving purposely for 100 days but if you want to challenge yourself to not smoke, or drink x amount of water, or whatever for 100 days, to me an X is an X.

Posted on Dec 31, 2013 12:24:22 PM PST
robb says:
Can YOU do 100 days?

Posted on December 5, 2013 by John Bingham

It's hard to believe that this is the 4th year of the 100 Days Challenge. For those of you who are new to the party here's a brief history. In January of 2010 I threw my back out. It was so bad that I ended up in two different emergency rooms trying to get some relief.

Months went by and the pain, while lessened, never truly went away. I could walk, some, but couldn't run at all. It was the first time in nearly 20 years of running that I had an injury that prevented me from running. Then, in early May of 2010 I dislocated the cuboid joint in my foot. Between the back pain and the dislocated joint my running fell off to zero and my walking wasn't much better.

I needed to do something to get motivated. I knew that by making a public declaration I would be more inclined to stick with it so I challenged myself, and the folks who follow me on Facebook [Twitter wasn't a factor then] to move intentionally for 30 minutes for the first 100 days of 2011. In no time thousands of people all over the world were taking the challenge.

One thing I learned right away was that I couldn't run every day. I also learned that with my travel schedule it was going to be much easier to walk than run. So, my activity of choice became walking. And much to my surprise I discovered I really liked to walk. In fact, in 2011, I liked it so much I just kept going and wound up walking every day for an entire year. 365 days. Amazing.

The program is simple. All you have to do is move intentionally for 30 minutes a day. You can run, walk, swim, cycle, dance, shovel snow, play with your dogs, it doesn't matter. Anything that you do ON PURPOSE counts.

Not feeling like you can commit to the full 100 Days? Then try the 30 for 30. Commit to moving for 30 minutes every day for the first 30 days of 2014. Chances are, when you get to January 31, you'll want to keep going.

For those of you on Facebook, we have a 100 Days Page where you can share your story, inspire others, and be inspired yourself. I'll be posting more information in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, start making plans to have the greatest year of your life.

It can be done. I know it can because I've done it twice. And I'm going to do it again. I invite you to join me.
John

Posted on Dec 31, 2013 12:25:11 PM PST
robb says:
Feel free to join me or John.

The challenge starts Jan 1, 2014.

Posted on Dec 31, 2013 12:49:44 PM PST
KaJoLa says:
Hi Robb ~ I have been getting lazy recently. I sure do need some motivation. Sign me up!

Posted on Dec 31, 2013 12:52:23 PM PST
robb says:
No signing up just come in each day and say "Yes" I got me an X for today.

Hopefully you will have recovered from getting run over by a reindeer by tomorrow :)

Posted on Dec 31, 2013 12:54:56 PM PST
scoutyjones says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2013 1:03:15 PM PST
robb says:
I have one. Well actually, he is a dawg.

Posted on Dec 31, 2013 1:05:30 PM PST
Dragonfly says:
This sounds like a great idea.
I need some motivation.
I will give it a try. thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2013 1:06:28 PM PST
KaJoLa says:
I have a dog. She is lazier than I am!

Posted on Dec 31, 2013 1:12:46 PM PST
robb says:
Welcome Patty.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2013 1:14:45 PM PST
robb says:
What kind of dog? Bailey has 3 speeds, couch dawg, walk dawg, and kill who ever rang the doorbell/chase the squirrels/deer etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2013 1:33:43 PM PST
KaJoLa says:
She is part pit bull, part rottweiler. We got her from the SPCA so not sure exactly how old she is. We have had her for five years.

Posted on Dec 31, 2013 1:57:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2013 1:58:46 PM PST
Since "they" have removed all our printers and replaced the with a few strategically placed multi-function printers, practically everyone in our office will be moving a lot more. Someone figured out that having to go down the hall to retrieve reports will add about 20 minutes to their work day. I suppose I could force myself to print on the opposite side of the building and get even more exercise.

Edited due to autocorrect fail.

Posted on Dec 31, 2013 2:51:23 PM PST
Count me in, but on a 4x40 schedule; I have 2 or 3 very long workdays each week that make 7x30 too difficult.

Posted on Dec 31, 2013 4:21:25 PM PST
Susan says:
Ok - I'm in, too...
Sounds fun :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2013 4:25:43 PM PST
K. Rowley says:
"The program is simple. All you have to do is move intentionally for 30 minutes a day. You can run, walk, swim, cycle, dance, shovel snow, play with your dogs, it doesn't matter. Anything that you do ON PURPOSE counts."

Sounds a bit like the 10,000 steps thing I'm doing..

10,000 Steps a Day to Your Optimal Weight: Walk Your Way to Better Health

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2013 4:49:01 PM PST
robb says:
"They" certainly have bright ideas now and then.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2013 4:50:04 PM PST
robb says:
Tippetarius
That works for me. What ever gets you moving.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2013 4:50:57 PM PST
robb says:
Hi Susan
Well I get cool and wet. You get cold and wet. I prefer the cool.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2013 4:55:28 PM PST
robb says:
It is a bit like that in that you are doing something. Whether it is 10,000 steps or 30 minutes, what matters is that you are moving. Here he wants you to do in a 30 minute chunk of time or 2 x 15 during the day where 10,000 is throughout the day.

Posted on Dec 31, 2013 6:21:58 PM PST
Susan says:
Hopefully, shoveling snow counts.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2013 6:52:29 PM PST
robb says:
I am surprised since you usually read everything :) Yes it counts as do chasing after Allie.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2013 7:27:56 PM PST
K. Rowley says:
"Here he wants you to do in a 30 minute chunk of time or 2 x 15 during the day where 10,000 is throughout the day."

The 10,000 is throughout the day, but I'm doing a big chunk of it by walking 30 minutes every day during my lunch break.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2014 12:57:51 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 1, 2014 6:59:15 AM PST
robb says:
Happy day one of the challenge, though you can start anytime.

Thank you invisible audience for the swift burial.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 30 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  731
Initial post:  Dec 31, 2013
Latest post:  Jun 23, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions