Customer Discussions > Kindle forum

kindle for seniors.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 10, 2013 1:09:41 PM PDT
My brother has been recently entered a nursing home. He is in good mental health and I want to get him a device where he can get on Facebook and get an email account. He usually just reads the newspaper but I'm hoping he will find interest in other things. My concern is how to get it set up for him. I had a difficult time setting up my kindle fire.
Any advice on this?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2013 1:12:14 PM PDT
Just Peachy says:
Does the nursing home have wifi he can use?
Without wifi, the Fire would not be very useful.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2013 1:24:01 PM PDT
First make sure the nursing home has Wifi available. Without it it'll be fairly useless. If the nursing home doesn't provide Wifi but there is Wifi available somewhere within easy reach, such as a MacDonalds or Starbucks then he'll be able to do some things on a tablet, but not all.

If they do have Wifi it might be password protected. Find out if it is and whether you can get the password. If you can you're in good shape. If not, this probably won't work for him.

Another, but somewhat more expensive solution is a cell phone with a Wifi hotspot.

If he likes to read you might want to consider a Kindle Paperwhite with 3G. He won't be limited by the nursing home's Wifi. He can get the paper on it as well as books. There are a few games but they're nothing to brag about. He won't be able to use it for email unless they have Wifi, and even then it's not great for email.

You could bring your Kindle Fire there when you visit and see if you can connect to their Wifi, if they have one. Now that you know how to do it it should be fairly easy. When you get back home it will still remember your home setup. You won't have to do anything to get it working at home again.

I think your first job, if you want to do this, is to find out what your needs are. Talk to him. Find out what might interest him. Talk to the people at the nursing home. Find out what they offer. Then start looking for devices that fit his interests and needs.

I live in a retirement home, not the same as a nursing home, and we have a lot of non-techie elderly people here. I'm a retired programmer so this stuff is everyday to me. I've found that if I ask someone if they'd be interested in a tablet; or in a Kindle if they love to read, their answer is always an emphatic "no", often accompanied by a scowl. But if I hand someone a Kindle with a book I think they'll enjoy and ask what they think of it, or a tablet with a game or TV show I think they might like, they often get excited.

The key is never ask. Shove it down their throats. :)

Barry

Posted on Oct 10, 2013 1:53:24 PM PDT
L. Hill says:
Miss Zubrycki - I would suggest "pushing" a Fire on him. He would end up with several of the benefits of a "laptop" - without it being a laptop.
Wifi would be required...but, if no Wifi is available and you have the financial ability, look at the 4G Fire with a data plan from one of the companies...

I have several elderly members of my congregation that use Fires (7") - they like the light-weight, the size - easy to hold in one hand - the connectivity they get, and the ability to read at a font size they select. They all use Facebook and email to stay in touch - one mentioned she finds it easier to type on a touch screen than a keyboard, because she doesn't have to bend her fingers - she has arthritis.

For news - there is an application called Flipboard that you can download for free on the Fire - from there, you can select various news, sports, politics, or other sites that display current (usually daily) articles - to include newspapers, magazines, and even blogs from online.

Also - if you invest in a Prime account, your brother would have access to videos, many for free - and with a cheap set of ear buds, or even earphones, he could watch without being disturbed by outside sounds.

My mother (80) has a Fire that she uses to supplement her laptop work - many times, she doesn't want to get her laptop out, only wants to do a quick email check. She also has an e-ink kindle that she has had for 3 years. She is not tech-savvy...and she didn't have any problems adjusting to her Fire or her kindle.

The new HDX models are going to be even lighter - another benefit for elderly persons who may have hand problems.

I tend to agree with Barryem - don't ask...get it, load it, set it up - then take it to him and show him all the cool things it does. We didn't ask Mom...we just got it and set it up for her...she was ready to "point & click." OK....not really "shoving"...but still...present it already set for what he likes and would do...and add a couple of "gee whiz" things that might grab him...even a game or two...books he might like...

Hope this helps some...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2013 10:25:29 AM PDT
Also, I don't know how good his manual dexterity is, but a capacitive stylus might make typing on the Fire easier for him.

AmazonBasics Stylus for Touchscreen Devices

Posted on Oct 11, 2013 11:14:48 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 5, 2013 7:00:09 AM PST]

Posted on Oct 11, 2013 11:26:18 AM PDT
Lillian Leah says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Kindle forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
NEWS: New Update for Kindle Reading Apps on Android and iOS
75 20 hours ago
Announcement
Hachette/Amazon Business Interruption
0 May 27, 2014
Announcement
Have a Kindle Question?
0 Sep 12, 2012
KINDLE KITCHEN #4: Home of Family, Friends and Good Food! 1077 28 seconds ago
Can Only Borrow 1 Book a Month 244 48 seconds ago
Wi-Fi model or AT&T 4GTE model of Kindle 8.9 HD Fire 3 50 seconds ago
PBS Video on Kindle Fire - failed 8 3 minutes ago
SwagBucks Thread 1577 7 minutes ago
[You are ignoring the customer who started this discussion] 9770 11 minutes ago
raok 77 - a glimpse of heaven? 6433 16 minutes ago
Kindle Fire Repair - 96 18 minutes ago
Kindle Fire 1 24 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Kindle forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Oct 10, 2013
Latest post:  Oct 11, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions